Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and AS relationship becomes further reduced; awards end 3/2020

AA and AS relationship becomes further reduced; awards end 3/2020

Old Oct 2, 19, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Interesting proposal. DOJ will never allow it.
Old Oct 2, 19, 5:11 pm
uxb

Programs: AS (MVPG), BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,72MM), WN
Originally Posted by AA2070 View Post
A modest proposal:
  • Dehub PHX in favor of LAX and SEA
Thatís what Discount Dougie shouldíve done in the first place. PHX is the one hub that loses AA the most money, and itís only going to get worse with climate change.
Old Oct 2, 19, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uxb View Post
That’s what Discount Dougie should’ve done in the first place. PHX is the one hub that loses AA the most money, and it’s only going to get worse with climate change.
Recall the DOJ settlement required them to maintain service levels at certain hubs. I forget the specific language but there was language regarding this.

Also, I believe PHX is profitable and holds its own, from what I've read elsewhere and heard from AA sources. Where are you seeing that it was reported it's not?
Old Oct 2, 19, 5:26 pm

Thatís what Discount Dougie shouldíve done in the first place. PHX is the one hub that loses AA the most money, and itís only going to get worse with climate change.
Iím curious as to why PhX loses money? Isnít weather always perfect in PHX? No storms or snow amd
flights are usually
on time unless plane goes mechanical
Old Oct 2, 19, 5:30 pm

from east coast, AA redemptions were always cluttered up on the booking screen offering Alaska flights I didn't want instead of AA flights & routings . Anything for miles on AA in business saver thru the West Coast up to say, Vanouver had these AWFUL mixes of coach Alaska flight choices along side even when redeeming Business mileage rates. So good riddance, to be honest.

I never redeemed any on Alaska, I so won't lose anything. Hopefully Alaska will join Oneworld as a connect partner / member for those who relied on them.
Old Oct 2, 19, 5:56 pm

That’s what Discount Dougie should’ve done in the first place. PHX is the one hub that loses AA the most money, and it’s only going to get worse with climate change.
what stats are you referencing we can see that shows PHX loses AA the most money? Can't find the recent stats I've seen but I think you're mistaken; I think PHX is lower-middle of the pack of hubs for profits.
PUH LEEZE No political climate change omni in this topic, c'mon!. Otherwise someone will hit you with a pack of plastic straws and crude oil !
Old Oct 2, 19, 6:37 pm
uxb

Programs: AS (MVPG), BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,72MM), WN
Originally Posted by gateH15 View Post
Iím curious as to why PhX loses money? Isnít weather always perfect in PHX? No storms or snow amd
flights are usually
on time unless plane goes mechanical
I guess you didnít fly in/out of PHX this summer where the 120įf+ temps grounded planes as frequently as their electrical storms and haboobs. Iíve had a dozen flights in/out of PHX and ALL were cancelled forcing me to overnight at PHX in either direction. Iíve spent more time in Sky Harbor than I care to admit.

P.S. Also, if youíre trying to fly into LGB, then donít because AA was brought up on criminal charges for frequently violating the cityís noise abatement programme thanks to weather at PHX.
beltway and oopsz like this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
what stats are you referencing we can see that shows PHX loses AA the most money?
Wouldn't hold your breath on that data being produced in response.
Old Oct 2, 19, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan; HHonors Gold; NEXUS
At least you guys aren't on the AS side of this. Our European redemption options are now BA, EI, and FI. As you all well know, BA is abhorrently expensive to redeem on. AS is charging 280k miles each way for EI J SEA-DUB, which again just boggles the mind. With FI, you're stuck flying a 757 from SEA to KEF.

AA was a great option to redeem on... despite inventory sometimes being tough to find, the schedules were good and there were enough interesting destinations in Europe and South America to cobble together a solid itinerary.

If DL's stake in LAN spells the end of LAN's partnership with AS, then the termination of the AA relationship means that there are a grand total of 0 options to South America for AS fliers.
Old Oct 2, 19, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
from east coast, AA redemptions were always cluttered up on the booking screen offering Alaska flights I didn't want instead of AA flights & routings . Anything for miles on AA in business saver thru the West Coast up to say, Vanouver had these AWFUL mixes of coach Alaska flight choices along side even when redeeming Business mileage rates. So good riddance, to be honest.

I never redeemed any on Alaska, I so won't lose anything. Hopefully Alaska will join Oneworld as a connect partner / member for those who relied on them.
I was thrilled to have AS options. Often the option would be DCA-MSP-SAN with a 75 minute layover or SAN-STL-DCA with 55 minute layover (the segment out of or into SAN being on AS), or I could fly DCA-DFW-SAN at 6:00 am with the DFW departure on AA being at 8:59 pm.

AA award availability has been awful and frankly the only way to redeem miles to the west coast has been because of the AS options.
Old Oct 2, 19, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Here is an example:

Old Oct 2, 19, 8:46 pm

Bummer, I used AS to connect to AA saaver awards to Europe to evade married segment problems from Seattle. I also have a good chunk of AS miles that i guess weíll need to burn on AA before march or only really have CX to asia as an option. So much for OneWorld Connect for AS.
Old Oct 2, 19, 10:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
At least you guys aren't on the AS side of this. Our European redemption options are now BA, EI, and FI. As you all well know, BA is abhorrently expensive to redeem on. AS is charging 280k miles each way for EI J SEA-DUB, which again just boggles the mind. With FI, you're stuck flying a 757 from SEA to KEF.

AA was a great option to redeem on... despite inventory sometimes being tough to find, the schedules were good and there were enough interesting destinations in Europe and South America to cobble together a solid itinerary.

If DL's stake in LAN spells the end of LAN's partnership with AS, then the termination of the AA relationship means that there are a grand total of 0 options to South America for AS fliers.
Isnít AY part of the Alaska redemption scheme anymore? Not for South America, of course, but for Europe?
Old Oct 2, 19, 10:39 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan; HHonors Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Isnít AY part of the Alaska redemption scheme anymore? Not for South America, of course, but for Europe?
Ah, true. I always forget about them since they don't fly to SEA and flying to LAX or SFO to get to Europe (and further connect from HEL) isn't something I'm willing to do. I also forgot about DE (Condor), although with the Thomas Cook bankruptcy, who knows how long that will last. That partnership was relatively useless anyway since connecting onwards from FRA almost always required a segment on LH which AS cannot sell.

In the last week, AS has lost AA and likely DE and LATAM as well, with no replacements on the horizon. It's a sad time to be an AS elite.
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
Ah, true. I always forget about them since they don't fly to SEA and flying to LAX or SFO to get to Europe (and further connect from HEL) isn't something I'm willing to do. I also forgot about DE (Condor), although with the Thomas Cook bankruptcy, who knows how long that will last. That partnership was relatively useless anyway since connecting onwards from FRA almost always required a segment on LH which AS cannot sell.

In the last week, AS has lost AA and likely DE and LATAM as well, with no replacements on the horizon. It's a sad time to be an AS elite.
Donít be quick to dismiss LATAM. A condition of DOT for granting the KE-DL JBA was not interfering with its AS partnership. Make no mistake, when Delta and LATAM apply, that will be a condition and DL will not want to engage in anything that signals differently.
84fiero likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: