Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and AS relationship becomes further reduced; awards end 3/2020

AA and AS relationship becomes further reduced; awards end 3/2020

Old Jul 20, 19, 12:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Okay, here’s the source the OP didn’t include, I suspect. Though the OP states “multiple blogs”, this is the one I found, and if there are others they’re probably based on JonNYC’s tweet.

American Expected to Further Gut its Partnership With Alaska Airlines
by Gary Leff on July 19, 2019 link

JonNYC
@xJonNYC
look for more degradation to the AA/AS partnership (such as it is) coming. Not surprising, I suppose, but will definitely affect those who currently earn, etc. I'd expect reciprocal lounge access to remain however, but all up in the air at this point.
7:04 AM - Jul 19, 2
The original “gutting” was announced in July 2017, and the changes became effective 1 Jan 2018.

American and Alaska Airlines Gut Their Partnership Effective January 1, 2018 link
by Gary Leff on July 6, 2017

When Alaska Airlines acquired Virgin America, the federal government required dropping several codeshares with American. Alaska is growing and they aren’t allowed to partner as closely with American as planned.
There’s not much left, other than reducing or eliminating codeshares, miles awards and eliminating lounge reciprocity. And, there’s this - meaning AA - AS relationship would be enhanced if they go this route.

Alaska Airlines Expects to Join oneworld Alliance as a Connect Member
by Gary Leff on November 27, 2018 link

There’s a Oneworld Connect membership that we’re looking it,” chief commercial officer Andrew Harrison told analysts. “The whole goal here is to ensure that when people in the cities we serve travel internationally they are on our partners so they stay in our program.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 20, 19, 1:31 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Thereís not much left, other than reducing or eliminating codeshares, miles awards and eliminating lounge reciprocity.
I think itís fair to say that eliminating codeshares would hurt AS far more than AA.

And, thereís this - meaning AA - AS relationship would be enhanced if they go this route.
Interesting read. Although it seems to me from that post that AS joining oneworld as a connect affiliate is consistent with the AA partnership ending: AS could be sponsored by (say) BA, QF, and CX, and have enhanced relationships with them including reciprocal lounge access while having no frequent flyer relationship at all with AA and just offer each other priority boarding and check in (the oneworld Connect minimum).
Aliquot likes this.
Old Jul 21, 19, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by safari ari View Post
The first set of degradation was due to government/AA wanting to degrade benefits.
Huh? What did the government have to do with degrading AA/AS benefits? Had AA/AS reduced benefits to try and get some kind of government approval for something between the two airlines?
Old Jul 21, 19, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
Huh? What did the government have to do with degrading AA/AS benefits? Had AA/AS reduced benefits to try and get some kind of government approval for something between the two airlines?
As a condition of the AS/VX merger, the government required AA and AS to significantly cut back their codeshare agreement.

At the time, I thought that didnít mean much. But when AA and AS then cut back their frequent flyer partnership to mostly only cover codeshares, it became a dramatic change. I donít know which party wanted to cut the benefits (or of it was really mutual), and I donít know if the loss of revenue due to the codeshare reductions played into it.
Old Jul 21, 19, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I forgot - just after claiming MileSAAver First seats SMF-KOA on AS next month.
It has been quite common for AA to offer saaver mileage redemption to Hawaii on AS metal, maximize RASM on AA metal to Hawaii.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 21, 19, 2:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
It has been quite common for AA to offer saaver mileage redemption to Hawaii on AS metal, maximize RASM on AA metal to Hawaii.
Thatís good to know. Thanks! (It certainly works for me! )
Old Jul 21, 19, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
Youíre talking like AA is choosing to release inventory on AS metal. Thatís not the case, Iím pretty sure. Youíre just seeing the fact that AS is choosing to release more low-level award inventory than AA is.
Old Jul 21, 19, 3:03 pm

Really hoping AA will increase its presence at SEA then (but not hopeful). Trying to use them but it's not easy having to connect to get anywhere reasonable
Don't really want to switch to Delta and start over but may have to especially as this is company's preferred airline
Old Jul 21, 19, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by ashill View Post

Youíre talking like AA is choosing to release inventory on AS metal. Thatís not the case, Iím pretty sure. Youíre just seeing the fact that AS is choosing to release more low-level award inventory than AA is.
AA can see the total available inventory and then count on the fact that AS is providing more allowing them to provide less. AS could modify that unilaterally but until then specific AA flights can be set to show greater returns. There are countless more RM decisions made with less predictive data than that.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:07 am
Suspended

Okay, here’s the source the OP didn’t include, I suspect. Though the OP states “multiple blogs”, this is the one I found, and if there are others they’re probably based on JonNYC’s tweet.

The original “gutting” was announced in July 2017, and the changes became effective 1 Jan 2018.

There’s not much left, other than reducing or eliminating codeshares, miles awards and eliminating lounge reciprocity. And, there’s this - meaning AA - AS relationship would be enhanced if they go this route.

Indeed, was all based my tweet ) on July 19th:

And will be announced today
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:36 am

Yep, I see it.

Two years ago American Airlines stopped allowing customers to earn miles on most Alaska Airlines flights. Alaska sources told me at the time this was a decision made by American, and one they were disappointed by.

Back in July I told you to expect even more degradation of the American Airlines-Alaska Airlines partnership.

That’s now been announced: effective March 1, 2020 it will no longer be possible to use American AAdvantage miles to redeem for travel on Alaska Airlines, and vice versa.

American tells me that there are no further changes to reciprocal lounge access or what’s left of their codesharing relationship at that time. The only change this coming March is that neither airline’s frequent flyer members will be able to redeem their miles for travel on the other carrier any longer.
link to View From the Wing
The article contains some bogus justification from AA and analysis of how stupid a move this is. (My words.)

I’ve had some successes using AAdvantage awards on Alaska, and I’ll be sorry to lose those opportunities. I can only hope that date closely coincides with Parker’s dismissal, the way AA is on a descent.
uxb and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Yep, I see it.

The article contains some bogus justification from AA and analysis of how stupid a move this is. (My words.)

Iíve had some successes using AAdvantage awards on Alaska, and Iíll be sorry to lose those opportunities. I can only hope that date closely coincides with Parkerís dismissal, the way AA is on a descent.
agree
this is abhorring
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Wow, this sucks. Been flying my mom out routinely over the past year and a half and 90% of those award tickets have involved an AS flight on at least one of the two segments each way. She greatly prefers the AS product.
Old Oct 2, 19, 3:06 pm
uxb

Programs: AS (MVPG), BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,72MM), WN
Iíve had some successes using AAdvantage awards on Alaska, and Iíll be sorry to lose those opportunities. I can only hope that date closely coincides with Parkerís dismissal, the way AA is on a descent.

I wonder what this will do to married-segment logic now that AA can't offload its elites on AS TCON flights. /sarcasm
Old Oct 2, 19, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
A modest proposal:
  • Get rid of any AA employee whose title starts with Chief. Pick any random people off the street to replace them.
  • Buy or merge or otherwise join forces with AS or be bought by them
  • Dehub PHX in favor of LAX and SEA
  • Retain AS identity legally as "Alaska Airlines, an American Air Group Company" with management of that business unit remaining in SEA to avoid a repeat of Reno Air/Air Cal etc.
  • Cooperate and align services in the spirit of NW/CO in the mid 2000s
  • AS Joins OneWorld either in full or as a connect member sponsored by AA
This would:
  • Give AA an actual West Coast network instead of E170s out of the LAX Eagle's Nest
  • Give AS access to AA's worldwide network
  • Allow AS to retain its brand and identity, particularly strong in SEA/PDX/AK
  • Reinstate reciprocial earn/burn and elite benefits
  • Give me great personal satisfaction
Brendan likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: