Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

A modest proposal to improve the boarding situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A modest proposal to improve the boarding situation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by lbbzman
I wonder if anyone has ever asked gate lurkers why they are lurking. If I was an AA operations person seeking to solve this problem, I’d start there.

Cheers,
LBBZman
That's actually brilliant! If a uniformed employee was taking surveys, not only would we hope them to try to use the results, maybe it would get people to step back.

I liked when UA had 5 lanes because it kept the gate lice corralled adequately. But UA realized it was also causing people to line up 30 minutes early. I wish there was some middle ground.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:32 pm

unless there is enforcement to prohibit people who are trying to board out of order, then nothing will matter. but here's an idea i just thought of, assuming they would enforce the numbers.

what if instead of group numbers, you had an actual boarding number (like your seat assignment).
then you could do it like when they call your turn at the deli counter. boarding passengers 1 -20
wait a few minutes, then boarding passengers 21-40
people who want to board together could request a change on the app or with a gate agent, and there'd be some surplus of boarding numbers that could be rearranged without changing the numbers for all the passengers who've been assigned already.
you have #20 and want to board with #45 , the app or GA moves you to #46 which was an unused number so #47 still boards when #47 is called.

changes are handled like the seating arrangements when people ask if the gate agents if they can be moved to be seated together.

dunno, just a random thought. like i said, without enforcement and prohibition, nothing matters.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
Do like almost all Asian airlines do: Everything over 7 KG MUST BE CHECKED.NO EXCEPTIONS.

The boarding process is always much QUICKER and FASTER when I travel in Asia. They will not let those roll on bags onboard! Just completed an extensive trip there and have many other trips to base my observation on. Stop the idiots from CLOGGING the boarding gate, as there is no reason to the way the boarding process works in Asia.

What takes time is people boarding then having to stow their bags. Simple.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
The problem is we always think the way we do it here, HAS TO BE THE BEST.

Often it isn't. Got to have an open mind.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
unless there is enforcement to prohibit people who are trying to board out of order, then nothing will matter. but here's an idea i just thought of, assuming they would enforce the numbers.

what if instead of group numbers, you had an actual boarding number (like your seat assignment).
then you could do it like when they call your turn at the deli counter. boarding passengers 1 -20
people who want to board together could request a change on the app or with a gate agent, and there'd be some surplus of boarding numbers that could be rearranged without changing the numbers for all the passengers who've been assigned already.
you have #20 and want to board with #45 , the app or GA moves you to #46 which was an unused number so #47 still boards when #47 is called.

changes are handled like the seating arrangements when people ask if the gate agents if they can be moved to be seated together. I like it.

dunno, just a random thought. like i said, without enforcement and prohibition, nothing matters.
With this plan you could then line up for boarding like WN, which IMO has the smoothest boarding operation.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Years ago airlines boarded by row numbers (some might still do) and the change to Group numbers supposedly sped up the process.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
As mentioned above, it makes much sense to board the rear first and work your way forward, provided that the FAs enforce putting overhead baggage by your seat (which, I know, is the ultimate problem).

No matter what method is chosen, if it isn’t enforced, it’s useless.
muji likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Piling on...

I think we do have to allow for a big of ignorance given that on every plane there are folks that fly once per year. Someone above said that the Delta boarding is slower. I have not experienced that to be the case and think that the orderliness of their boarding process is refreshing compared to 'boarding 1-4.'
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Score8
Piling on...

I think we do have to allow for a big of ignorance given that on every plane there are folks that fly once per year. Someone above said that the Delta boarding is slower. I have not experienced that to be the case and think that the orderliness of their boarding process is refreshing compared to 'boarding 1-4.'
Those folks are the ones who listen to the announcements and obey the rules.

The problem children are those who think that because some marketing guy at a carrier dreamt up the word "elite" in connection with their flying, that they really are elite in the sense that they are special and the rules don't apply to them.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1
Those folks are the ones who listen to the announcements and obey the rules.

The problem children are those who think that because some marketing guy at a carrier dreamt up the word "elite" in connection with their flying, that they really are elite in the sense that they are special and the rules don't apply to them.
I think that's a fair appraisal of my experience with entitlement, though that shows itself more in putting both bags in the bins versus the boarding process sequencing issue. Maybe I could put it another way...ignorance AND entitlement together!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bse118
I don't follow...

If you are going to get your bag checked for free -- how is being reassigned to Group 9 a penalty?

I mean if you aren't worried about overhead space (your bag has been checked already), and you have your original seat assignment, what's the downside to boarding last?
The downside is that people who gate check brought as much as humanly possible to the gate because they didn't want to pay to check a bag, so even checking their roller means they have a huge backpack and a hand bag under a jacket, all of which they still feel they should be able to put in the bin.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: AA PPro
I'm not sure what Japan Airlines does, but I was leaving a lounge 40 minutes before a JAL international flight and the attendant said, "boarding is not open yet, they open boarding 20 minutes before departure"

I didn't believe her, but she was right. Boarding open 20 minutes before departure and we pushed back 20 minutes later.It happened on both my flights.. So whatever JAL is doing they are doing it right
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I'm not sure what Japan Airlines does, but I was leaving a lounge 40 minutes before a JAL international flight and the attendant said, "boarding is not open yet, they open boarding 20 minutes before departure"

I didn't believe her, but she was right. Boarding open 20 minutes before departure and we pushed back 20 minutes later.It happened on both my flights.. So whatever JAL is doing they are doing it right
Same thing in Europe (for single aisle). If the OH issue is taken off the table because people bother to obey the rules, ask yourself how long it takes for a bunch of people to walk through a door. Not long.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:15 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Gig103
That's actually brilliant! If a uniformed employee was taking surveys, not only would we hope them to try to use the results, maybe it would get people to step back.

I liked when UA had 5 lanes because it kept the gate lice corralled adequately. But UA realized it was also causing people to line up 30 minutes early. I wish there was some middle ground.
So what - why would UA care if people lined up earlier?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:19 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by LovePrunes

changes are handled like the seating arrangements when people ask if the gate agents if they can be moved to be seated together.

Having the unused numbers work out so well seems hard to fathom. Why not just state you can board in your group or any group thereafter? After all, that is how it works in practice right now. Thus, #20 joins #45 boarding with the #41 - 60 group and nobody cares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.