Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

A modest proposal to improve the boarding situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A modest proposal to improve the boarding situation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JDiver
Some airlines require a tag on cabin baggage. That might be the easiest way to handle the issue of conspicuously marking approved cabin baggage.
If the only criterion is speed, i.e., what's the fastest way to board a plane, you might be interested to learn that it has been studied and determined that randomly is the quickest. Link.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
Let's address the root of the problem: Carry-on luggage..

Tolls, Fees, or taxation are a way to modify human behavior; thus carry-on bag fees are the way to go to restore order and civility to air travel.

E.g., $20 to check bag. $40 to carry on. FC, Prem Econ, and Elites have the carry-on perk; all others pay the man.

Problem solved.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by PepeBorja

Tolls, Fees, or taxation are a way to modify human behavior; thus carry-on bag fees are the way to go to restore order and civility to air travel.

E.g., $20 to check bag. $40 to carry on. FC, Prem Econ, and Elites have the carry-on perk; all others pay the man.

Problem solved.
One issue is that it does cost the airline money to transport your bag in the hold. They have to pay ramp workers to load it and unload it and get it to you at baggage claim. Forcing people to deal with their own baggage saves the airlines money. (they can, for example, hire fewer baggage handlers) so, if nothing else, the prices for carry ons should be cheaper than those for checked luggage if we're going by costs (although we all know that is not always something an airline does).
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Mentioned already above. Before changing anything, I would propose ENFORCEMENT of the current rules:

1. Strictly enforce carry-on rules (it has to fit in the sizer) regardless of class/status.

(FT will still welcome the rants 1) "I have ALWAYS flown with my Tumi model XYZ but was forced to check it" 2) "Rude agent made me stick my carry on in the sizer" 3)"I know my super dope Travelpro xyzlite fits in the 77W overheads bin but was forced to gate check it". etc/_

2. Strictly enforce boarding process

3. Strictly enforce what the overhead bin labels say "Reserved for Business/PE, etc"

In addition to the above and to the size requirements, a weight restriction could be imposed(no exception but J/F/PE) for carry-ons. Enforce it or pay at the gate. Problem solved.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
One issue is that it does cost the airline money to transport your bag in the hold. They have to pay ramp workers to load it and unload it and get it to you at baggage claim. Forcing people to deal with their own baggage saves the airlines money. (they can, for example, hire fewer baggage handlers) so, if nothing else, the prices for carry ons should be cheaper than those for checked luggage if we're going by costs (although we all know that is not always something an airline does).
No. You pay for the convenience.
Cost [only] should not determine price (ask Costco, who loses money on certain items but makes big $$$ on others).

Last edited by carlosdca; Sep 18, 2019 at 11:43 am
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

Problem solved.
Because as much as Doug Parker tries, AA is still not Spirit. When BE didn't include OHB space there was enough backlash that they relented. If AA wants to give me the option of carry-on or checked, one bag for $0, I could put my bag in the hold and let folks who need the OHB space take it. There are others that would, too.

I've been flying Southwest more, lately, and have not seen problems with OHB space and I really believe it's because folks can check their luggage for no extra fee.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
In addition to the above and to the size requirements, a weight restriction could be imposed(no exception but J/F/PE) for carry-ons. Enforce it or pay at the gate. Problem solved.
Oh please, not the luggage weight thing. I've gone through that with EU carriers and it's just a way for them to force you to pay checked-bag fees.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Problem solved.
A lot of people carryon more because checked luggage has fees
I find there to be much more space when I want to carryon when flying Southwest.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Bag fees are aren't going anywhere. In fact I get the feeling without fees AA would lose money.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
Argue one must may, but the truth is carry-on luggage is the reason behind all the chaos at boarding and even fights between passengers for space.
This never existed until fees for checked in baggage appeared.

Only fees will help reduce the number of carry on bags to "normal" levels and they will restore air travel's boarding process to an orderly and much less stressful event.
$20 for Checked bags, and $40 for carry on. No CC exceptions. Only FC, Prem Econ, and Elites get one carry on.

Let's assume an average flight has 100 bags checked at $40 and 100 carry on bags at $0. Net is $4000 collected in fees.

If half of the people with carry on opt for the new $20/$40 rule the revenue would be 100*$20 + 50*$20 + 50*$40 = $2000+$1000+$2000 = $5000 collected in fees.

If all the carry-on bags are checked in then we have 100*$20 + 100*20 = $4000. Worst case scenario.

Bag fees are here to stay. Might as well use them to modify traveler's behavior and enhance the customer experience.

I was a luggage ape in the late 1980'sat America West in PHX and remember counting bags as I was loading them into the belly of the beast... Yes it would be more work for the ramp crews BUT it also means faster boarding and deplaning allowing the airline to operate shorter turn-arounds. It also would eliminate delays due to the chaos that surfaces when space runs out and passengers argue and open every OHB looking for space. It also frees gate personnel to do other tasks besides checking in bags during boarding... The best is there won't be any calls or pleas for people to check in bags at the gate and eliminates the stoooopid bag sizers and bag gate police.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
Charging for bags has nothing to do with obeying the rules.

AA has done an increasingly good job of cracking down and, when it does, boarding is a lot better. For what it is worth, bags are free for those in the early BG's, e.g. F, credit card, status and those folks are just as "bad" as the rest.
Umm, what and where?
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Argue one must may, but the truth is carry-on luggage is the reason behind all the chaos at boarding and even fights between passengers for space.
This never existed until fees for checked in baggage appeared
Good point I agree.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Often1
AA has done an increasingly good job of cracking down and, when it does, boarding is a lot better.
Originally Posted by Antarius
Umm, what and where?
1456 DFW-BOS on September 19th for one. FA: "I'm sorry, sir, these bins are reserved for first class. You'll have to take your bag with you to economy. I believe that there is still overhead space in the last three rows."
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
1456 DFW-BOS on September 19th for one. FA: "I'm sorry, sir, these bins are reserved for first class. You'll have to take your bag with you to economy. I believe that there is still overhead space in the last three rows."
Would love to see/hear that on every flight.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by Gig103
My pie-in-the-sky thought: If you show up with a carry-on sized roller bag, they check it in for free. To prevent abuse (someone who leaves a second bag hiding with family and doubles up on their allowance) I would re-assign that passenger to Group 9 when taking the bag.
Originally Posted by Davis Hopkins
The easiest solution to address the boarding situation is to not charge any passenger for up to two checked bags. With fewer carry-on bags this will eliminate the competition to get on the plane early.
Originally Posted by Gig103
I've been flying Southwest more, lately, and have not seen problems with OHB space and I really believe it's because folks can check their luggage for no extra fee.
There are many, many issues I have with AA, but the carry-on baggage policy is not one of them. The main reason for this is AA continues to offer unlimited, free check bags at the gate. Now, this assumes you can get it passed the people on the way to security which sometimes believe they are the enforcer of the carry-on rules. Even for the short amount of time they blocked Group 9/BE from getting this benefit, that has been changed to allow all passengers to drop bags at the gate. I have done this even on not full flights if I didn't want to carry bags around. I even did this quite a bit on intra Europe flights on HBO fares. The only condition was I had to do it at the gate. In almost every case, the agent was happy to have someone volunteer their bags.

So the problem is really because people do not want to check their bags. The charging for checked bags is an issue, but how can I complain when I just need to pack into a smaller physical bag to be able to get my luggage carried for free. There is another advantage here in that checking bags at the gate is often simpler with no line or weight process (ha!) than the baggage drop process at the check-in desk. Okay, maybe my methods are too savvy for the flyer who is trying to avoid checked bag fees because if they fly regularly, they probably already get a free bag through status or cardholder.

I still travel on many SWA flights with full bins. I don't see much forced checking at the plane door (due to full bins), but the warning announcement is made often to the C group. It doesn't matter what you charge or don't charge - the process of baggage claim is not getting better for people to want to check bags.

I think the better solution AA has taken is to make bigger bins. The ones that carry 4 bags (if you actually know how to position your bag) is great. Boarding is still a slow process I agree...
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
There are many, many issues I have with AA, but the carry-on baggage policy is not one of them. The main reason for this is AA continues to offer unlimited, free check bags at the gate. Now, this assumes you can get it passed the people on the way to security which sometimes believe they are the enforcer of the carry-on rules. Even for the short amount of time they blocked Group 9/BE from getting this benefit, that has been changed to allow all passengers to drop bags at the gate. I have done this even on not full flights if I didn't want to carry bags around. I even did this quite a bit on intra Europe flights on HBO fares. The only condition was I had to do it at the gate. In almost every case, the agent was happy to have someone volunteer their bags.

So the problem is really because people do not want to check their bags. The charging for checked bags is an issue, but how can I complain when I just need to pack into a smaller physical bag to be able to get my luggage carried for free. There is another advantage here in that checking bags at the gate is often simpler with no line or weight process (ha!) than the baggage drop process at the check-in desk. Okay, maybe my methods are too savvy for the flyer who is trying to avoid checked bag fees because if they fly regularly, they probably already get a free bag through status or cardholder.

I still travel on many SWA flights with full bins. I don't see much forced checking at the plane door (due to full bins), but the warning announcement is made often to the C group. It doesn't matter what you charge or don't charge - the process of baggage claim is not getting better for people to want to check bags.

I think the better solution AA has taken is to make bigger bins. The ones that carry 4 bags (if you actually know how to position your bag) is great. Boarding is still a slow process I agree...
Easy solution to bypass AA employees who are trying to enforce bag size before going thru security, is to use different check points not manned by AA personnel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.