Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

A modest proposal to improve the boarding situation

A modest proposal to improve the boarding situation

Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Charging for bags has nothing to do with obeying the rules.
Sure, but it has a lot to do with how many bags are taken on the plane. As you yourself pointed out upthread, there's not enough room on the plane for everyone to bring a large bag onto the plane. The contention for space that this problem causes is at least part of the problem with the boarding process. If there were less demand for overhead space this problem wouldn't be as bad. You say that Southwest allows two checked bags free and the problem is just as bad, but in reality Southwest's boarding process is much more efficient than the carriers that do charge to check bags so it seems like there's at least a correlation between these two factors. (Southwest also doesn't do assigned seating which allows for more efficient boarding as well, so it's hard to tell how each of these factors contributes to the overall outcome. It would be interesting to understand how many bags end up getting gate-checked on Southwest versus the major carriers.)
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by enviroian
As group 2 I stand near the beginning of the end of the pole line so 1 can pass through. Funny enough Group 2 has to be and usually seems the shortest group since it's EXP's that didn't get upgraded lol

Sometimes I get a quick glance at people's boarding passes and most of them are high 7-8-9 so I don[t understand their logic.
same here. actually oneworld emerald. but usually group 2 is the smallest group and half the time GAs call groups 2 & 3 together.

I also think that bulkhead seats (and exit row seats in Europe) where all personal items must go in the overhead bin should get some priority for boarding, since having the floor clear around those seats is a safety issue.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
Sure, but it has a lot to do with how many bags are taken on the plane. As you yourself pointed out upthread, there's not enough room on the plane for everyone to bring a large bag onto the plane. The contention for space that this problem causes is at least part of the problem with the boarding process. If there were less demand for overhead space this problem wouldn't be as bad. You say that Southwest allows two checked bags free and the problem is just as bad, but in reality Southwest's boarding process is much more efficient than the carriers that do charge to check bags so it seems like there's at least a correlation between these two factors. (Southwest also doesn't do assigned seating which allows for more efficient boarding as well, so it's hard to tell how each of these factors contributes to the overall outcome. It would be interesting to understand how many bags end up getting gate-checked on Southwest versus the major carriers.)
Southwest has the worst boarding process. You have to line up in groups and then rush on the plane to pick your seats. Its stressful and moat likely you wont end up in the exit row and they dont have MCE.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15
Southwest has the worst boarding process. You have to line up in groups and then rush on the plane to pick your seats. Its stressful and moat likely you wont end up in the exit row and they dont have MCE.
I didn't say it was "good", I said it was efficient. Southwest can board a plane much faster than the competition.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I'm not sure what Japan Airlines does, but I was leaving a lounge 40 minutes before a JAL international flight and the attendant said, "boarding is not open yet, they open boarding 20 minutes before departure"

I didn't believe her, but she was right. Boarding open 20 minutes before departure and we pushed back 20 minutes later.It happened on both my flights.. So whatever JAL is doing they are doing it right
Exactly! 777 boarding starts 20 min. before the departure. I had 787 started boarding 15 min. before the departure and pushed back few minutes before the departure time on JAL. On ANA domestic flight 767-300, 270 seats and the flight was pretty much full. Equipment problem and switched to another 767-300, once at a new gate and boarding started we pushed back in less than 10 min.

After few decades observing this, I am now convinced that there is fundamentally something wrong with the boarding in the U.S.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Exactly! 777 boarding starts 20 min. before the departure. I had 787 started boarding 15 min. before the departure and pushed back few minutes before the departure time on JAL. On ANA domestic flight 767-300, 270 seats and the flight was pretty much full. Equipment problem and switched to another 767-300, once at a new gate and boarding started we pushed back in less than 10 min.

After few decades observing this, I am now convinced that there is fundamentally something wrong with the boarding in the U.S.
Most people take their sweet time when they get to the seat, start removing things that they need from carry on and after that place it in the bin.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Yes ... the passengers.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by gateH15
Most people take their sweet time when they get to the seat, start removing things that they need from carry on and after that place it in the bin.
Things like their personal entertainment devices
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:26 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I just really hate landing at 11PM and waiting at luggage claim until after midnight -- that often means I lost a night credit with my hotel program).

I know of NO hotel program that penalizes a traveler for checking in after midnight. Please elaborate.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I wish more so that we can learn a method to deplane faster. Instead of taking turns row by row, I wish we could just have a 'first rush' where everyone that is in the aisle when the door opens first just moves forward and out and off the plane before other people scoot on over and block the aisle to pick up bags and stuff. Boarding stress is laughable compared to the stress of waiting 15 minutes in the back of the plane watching people take turns one by one to get their overhead bag, neck pillow, personal device, and underseat bag figured out when you have a 40 minute connection.
Just stand in front of the aisle seat to get your item out of the overhead bin starting with the person in the aisle seat, instead of standing in the aisle. Get your bag down and put it in the seat. Make sure you have everything and only then enter the aisle to leave.

As for boarding, free checked luggage and 1 carryon, either personal item or bag, but only one. If it can fit under the seat its free. If it is overhead size, $20. Charge $50 for second one, either size.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Personally I don't see any problem with AA's 1-9 zoned boarding SOP. It works well for me and the times I'm approaching the boarding area late (late connection for example) and they are on group 5 I simply walk up to the 1-4 lane and immediately get processed. That's the way it's supposed to work and I think AA does a good job at this.

What I don't like is what I CAN"T control and that's people who rather step into their row to put their bag in the bin do so from standing outside the row dead front of incoming passengers. Unless you are disabled or recently broke your arm there is no need to do this facing the bin out in the aisle. Also, don't get me started on the people that do this who also gracefully and slowly take off their jackets, pull out headphones, etc like they are Fred Rogers walking into their home in front of their own closest. Ugh...this isn't your living room people. Yes AA has made and does make announcements to these slo-pokes in a friendly PA announcement "good evening folks we cannot complete boarding process until all of your personal items are stowed and you are in your seats". If I had my way my PA would be a little different LOL
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by enviroian
Personally I don't see any problem with AA's 1-9 zoned boarding SOP. It works well for me and the times I'm approaching the boarding area late (late connection for example) and they are on group 5 I simply walk up to the 1-4 lane and immediately get processed. That's the way it's supposed to work and I think AA does a good job at this.

What I don't like is what I CAN"T control and that's people who rather step into their row to put their bag in the bin do so from standing outside the row dead front of incoming passengers. Unless you are disabled or recently broke your arm there is no need to do this facing the bin out in the aisle. Also, don't get me started on the people that do this who also gracefully and slowly take off their jackets, pull out headphones, etc like they are Fred Rogers walking into their home in front of their own closest. Ugh...this isn't your living room people. Yes AA has made and does make announcements to these slo-pokes in a friendly PA announcement "good evening folks we cannot complete boarding process until all of your personal items are stowed and you are in your seats". If I had my way my PA would be a little different LOL
I like AA's 1-9 more than DL's named and over-complicated zone system. But for boarding, I'm having a hard time picturing your gripe about loading the OHB. How can that be done after stepping into the aisle? Especially since some elite like me is already settled into my aisle seat waiting for Mr. and Mrs. window-middle to join me. And especially after zone 5 or 6 when bins are filling up?
I like the "Fred Rodgers" line though

Last edited by Gig103; Sep 17, 2019 at 10:52 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I know of NO hotel program that penalizes a traveler for checking in after midnight. Please elaborate.
World of Hyatt - No Night Credit if you Check-in After Midnight?
MarkOK likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
I like AA's 1-9 more than DL's named and over-complicated zone system. But for boarding, I'm having a hard time picturing your gripe about loading the OHB. How can that be done after stepping into the aisle? Especially since some elite like me is already settled into my aisle seat waiting for Mr. and Mrs. window-middle to join me. And especially after zone 5 or 6 when bins are filling up?
I like the "Fred Rodgers" line though
I wonder what idiot at delta came up with 50 shades of purple on boarding pass to determine boarding group. Did delta not think its not possible to tell the difference in color when printed in black and white.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:09 am

The problem with boarding by groups is that, on AA, Groups 2, 3, and 4 could be anywhere from 0 passengers to 120. I've been on flights where Groups 2 and 3 (Platinum and higher) have no passengers, and I'm the only passenger in Group 4 (Gold).

On other flights, there might only be 15 people left waiting to board an MD-80, after Group 4 is called.

I watched the episode of "Mythbusters" that looked at boarding. The fastest way is to call the entire plane at once. But people loathe that.

Next is assigning people randomly to groups. It's better than back to front or WilMA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.