FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   A modest proposal to improve the boarding situation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1979206-modest-proposal-improve-boarding-situation.html)

Rukes Jul 19, 2019 2:53 pm

Best way to improve boarding: get rid of the vague sign. Having “group 1-4” on one side makes people in group 4 think they can board with group 1 in that line.

AA should change one side to group 1 & 2, the other to 3&4+. That way those in 5-9 will have to wait to be called and won’t line up. People with priority will line up like normal.

DenverBrian Jul 19, 2019 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Rukes (Post 31321798)
Best way to improve boarding: get rid of the vague sign. Having “group 1-4” on one side makes people in group 4 think they can board with group 1 in that line.

AA should change one side to group 1 & 2, the other to 3&4+. That way those in 5-9 will have to wait to be called and won’t line up. People with priority will line up like normal.

Very close to current UA boarding process. Of course, UA's "Group 1" is actually "Group 6," because they "pre-board" five separate groups before they even get to "Group 1."

Antarius Jul 19, 2019 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by AA100k (Post 31321573)
There are a lot of problems with baggage claim delays, misdirected bags and stolen (“lost” in airline lingo) bags and it just takes one of those events to leave a lasting impression of “I’ll never check a bag again” attitude. The airlines need to clean up their baggage handling and that would help a lot.

I board early because of my status and I have no complaints but I’d feel a lot differently spending over $20K per year with AA if I was handed a boarding pass with Zone 9 on it.

I mean, it happens more often than the zero times that occur when you carry your bag onboard, but lost bags are not an endemic, regular issue. I check 2 bags at least twice a week and they have not showed up 3 times. One of the 3 was the TSA (it was a direct flight and one bag made it, one got taken apart for some reason), one was due to a colossal cluster due to weather resulting in me changing my flights and the third time was an AA screwup. Across 88 flights this year, not that bad.

AA managed to do a better job with bags than getting me somewhere on time :p

jbdk Jul 19, 2019 9:44 pm

80% of the reason why boarding takes so long is that 80% of the passengers do not know how to board a plane...

jbdk Jul 19, 2019 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by AndyAA (Post 31321506)
Maybe if one didn’t have to wait 50+ minutes for a priority tagged bag to hit the carousel at DFW in sunny weather like I just did, that could speed up the process with less stuff being carried on.

... and that priority tagged bag came out last.

AA100k Jul 20, 2019 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31321977)
I mean, it happens more often than the zero times that occur when you carry your bag onboard, but lost bags are not an endemic, regular issue. I check 2 bags at least twice a week and they have not showed up 3 times. One of the 3 was the TSA (it was a direct flight and one bag made it, one got taken apart for some reason), one was due to a colossal cluster due to weather resulting in me changing my flights and the third time was an AA screwup. Across 88 flights this year, not that bad.

AA managed to do a better job with bags than getting me somewhere on time :p

If I was flying only domestic routes with several flights a day to my destinations then it would be less risk and worry. But I fly all international itineraries and a late or lost bag is a huge problem. First, there is usually only one flight per day so the delay is at least 24 hours. In almost all cases, I don’t spend any time in the city in which my flight lands, I’m in a car going from one small town to another day after day. The bag never catches up and gets “lost” somewhere in the country where I’m working after which there’s the inevitable, messy hassle with the airline to get a financial settlement, usually pennies on the dollar for the loss. It’s surprisingly not complicated to survive with only carryon baggage.

And your 3 delayed bags in 88 flights seems rather high IMO.

bse118 Jul 20, 2019 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31321522)
My pie-in-the-sky thought: If you show up with a carry-on sized roller bag, they check it in for free. To prevent abuse (someone who leaves a second bag hiding with family and doubles up on their allowance) I would re-assign that passenger to Group 9 when taking the bag.

I don't follow...

If you are going to get your bag checked for free -- how is being reassigned to Group 9 a penalty?

I mean if you aren't worried about overhead space (your bag has been checked already), and you have your original seat assignment, what's the downside to boarding last?

3544quebec Jul 20, 2019 6:56 pm

My modest proposal to improve the boarding situation - a fire hose

hbtr Jul 21, 2019 1:19 am

I would reduce the number of groups, and then arrange separate lines for each group (or alternating lines like WN does). 9 separate groups that need to be called one by one is ridiculous, and you will never be able to implement 9 separate lines. Having a single line for groups 1-4 that has group 4 people line up and then wait as group 1 pushes by makes no sense. And I think most FC folks will get over boarding at the same time as EXP.

The other thing AA needs is better signage or continuous announcements for what groups are currently boarding. A lot of people just see a line and join it. And I have seen them start boarding group 1 before calling group 1, and when people see boarding with no announcement they tend to join in.

Often1 Jul 21, 2019 6:18 am

It isn't the unsophisticated occasional travelers who hold things up, it is the self-entitled who think that the rules don't apply to them.

Beachfun71 Jul 21, 2019 6:22 am

I like the idea of Group 1 being: First, all EXP, and bulkhead.

remedy Jul 21, 2019 6:52 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31321353)
Some airlines require a tag on cabin baggage. That might be the easiest way to handle the issue of conspicuously marking approved cabin baggage.

BA does and are good about enforcing it.

LovePrunes Jul 21, 2019 9:20 am

Originally Posted by saunders111 (Post 31321004)
Or rather a small suite of proposals.

Given that the primary reason for the boarding scrum is the scramble for limited overhead bin space, and further given that AA will never walk back on charging for checked bags, and finally given that those sitting in bulkhead seats generally speaking require bin space for their personal items, here are a few probably tired-out suggestions:
1) limit bin use to groups 1 thru 6. Enforce this by issuing one sticker saying the date, flight number, record locator, and something like BIN OK along with each group 1 to 6 boarding pass. Every bag in the bins then must have a valid sticker on it. Any bag in the bins without a sticker gets checked, possibly for a significant penalty charge, or left behind. Issue two stickers to bulkhead row passengers.
2) within each cabin, load the bulkhead rows first, perhaps along with CK. In my particular group 3 case, I only choose to join the scrum if I have gotten stuck in a bulkhead row, in which case I have no choice.

What do you think?

saunders111

(About to join the battle to board for a bulkhead seat on a fully booked 737... so yes, for today this message boils down to “let saunders111 board first”😛)

This sticker thing sounds like a new program that people would quickly find loopholes. Keep your sticker on from last time.and reuse, us get a new one for todays trip and now 1 person can put *two* bags in the overhead.

You can't tell me somebody's going to scan individual barcode stickers for overhead luggage before they allow it. It's just seems like, as creative as it may be, just not the right approach

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jul 21, 2019 10:06 am

I think AA should go back to the old days of calling F class, then EXPs seat in coach, and so on and then start with Group numbers. This would stop some of the rushing the BP reader. Unfortunately given the current nature of society and fear over being separated from one's bag boarding will continue to remain a crazy process.

FlyerTalker688786 Jul 21, 2019 11:37 am

AA need
1, to have 4 queues in hub airport to manage the flow instead of 2 which merged to 1.
2, to install the automatic gate would help too so agent can pay more attention to the bulky hand luggage instead of manually check Boarding Pass.
3, reduce the boarding number to 7 or 8 for a starter.
4, consider rear door boarding for B738 and A321 aircraft via stairs for group 7 to 9 who are mostly sit in the back.