Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

due to weather, agent rebooked me to wrong airport 7900 miles away, should I fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

due to weather, agent rebooked me to wrong airport 7900 miles away, should I fly?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Hyatt Globalist
I'm thinking they switched SYR for SYD. That seems more like the right mileage.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by madipides
Not a bad guess. R and D are definitely close on the keyboard. Destinations make sense.
<3vacations likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by madipides
but SYR and SYD do not have the same letters and the OP said the airport codes had the same letters but were reordered
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I sent this thread to my Taller Half (TM) who is currently on her way home from DC. She can't wait to see where @geometry ends up.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:02 pm

BUR - BRU ?
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
BUR - BRU ?
East coast to BRU is well under 7900 miles - even west coast to BRU is under that distance
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
The story is a great example of the tremendous utility of United miles for last minute bookings. If not for that the OP might not have even considered this trip of a lifetime. I can’t wait to hear confirmation that everything worked out well for the OP.

On a related note, I had a friend board a flight from ORD to HNL when she was intending to fly ORD to IAH. She was on the plane thinking, wow, this is a big plane to be flying to Houston when the FA announced, “if you aren’t going to Honolulu this is your last chance to de-plane” and she got off the plane.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: TK CP, Lapsed DL FO, Mr. <3Vacations Free Rider, Numerous programs
I kept typing BOI / BIO wrong all week so it was the first that popped in my head but the mileage isn't right even from the west coast. This is an excellent mystery!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:29 pm

BOS-BOM vs BOS-MOB lines up nicely but that's not on AA metal... codeshare?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would guess that both airports are served nonstop from the same AA hub by AA. If so, this rules out a lot of the suggestions that have been put forth.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
but SYR and SYD do not have the same letters and the OP said the airport codes had the same letters but were reordered
OP could have been mistaken or could be (for privacy) fudging a detail while maintaining the spirit (if not the letter) of the story.
irishguy28 and dnwaldmann like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
BOS-BOM vs BOS-MOB lines up nicely but that's not on AA metal... codeshare?
Well just for fun, here's the return on the 787-10: https://flights.app.goo.gl/kq5tc
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Maybe I missed something, but is the OP restricted to departing from his home base?

And I'm curious to know the side story of not having to be at the original downline destination?

Nonetheless, absolutely fascinating thread. Please let us know how it goes!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:56 pm

What an adventure!

Like already suggested, OP should act surprised when arriving at the destination and demand AA to get him back to his original destination. Not his fault AA rebooked him to the wrong place.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I am going with CVG / PVG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.