Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

due to weather, agent rebooked me to wrong airport 7900 miles away, should I fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

due to weather, agent rebooked me to wrong airport 7900 miles away, should I fly?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
And demand compensation for your trouble.
Demand original routing credit!

Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:57 pm

Can't wait to see how this ends!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum, HH Diamond
" I do have my passport with me and the wrong airport does not require visa for US citizens.(edit: in my situation) "

China has 18 cities that don't require a visa for a short stay... Any of these a possibility?

Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ckjmglee
" I do have my passport with me and the wrong airport does not require visa for US citizens.(edit: in my situation) "

China has 18 cities that don't require a visa for a short stay... Any of these a possibility?

NO, China has the TWOV program, but not every short stay qualifies.

I already suggested CAN and ANC. CTU and TUC would be another pair, but it wouldn't be a 7900 difference in miles unless a strange routing were used.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO, China has the TWOV program, but not every short stay qualifies.

I already suggested CAN and ANC. CTU and TUC would be another pair, but it wouldn't be a 7900 difference in miles unless a strange routing were used.
TWOV is 24 hours.

These 18 cities are 72-144 hours visa free for US citizens - OP indicated two hotel nights.

Hope they have fun!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
I was thinking in was DCA to DAC? Perhaps on a codeshare?
This was my first hunch but only because I so frequently mistype DAC instead of DCA when searching for flights!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
TWOV is 24 hours.

These 18 cities are 72-144 hours visa free for US citizens - OP indicated two hotel nights.

Hope they have fun!
NO, there's one version of TWOV which allows 24 hours pretty much anywhere in China, including connections, and another version, generally 144 hours now, that requires you to stay in the same city (including outskirts), although you can arrive and depart from different airports such as PVG and SHA.

Check the big sticky TWOV thread in the China destination forum on FT for details.
JDiver and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
BOM sounds like a good candidate, though would require non-AA metal to be involved as well which in IRROPS is not impossible I suppose; NYC-BOM is 7,799 miles from per gcmap which is pretty spot on to the 7800 miles in the OP. NYC-CLT-MOB is ~1100 miles so close to the 1200 original flight distance, there are multiple airports in the NYC area where one could choose from fairly easily and UA has a BOM-EWR flight that has the new Polaris seats (OP asked about UA releasing J awards close-in for a Y award they booked to EWR). I do suppose that "Polaris" is now a generic term for J on UA though so the options might not be limited to those that have the new seats.

Having seen that the OP currently has a Y award booked on the return I really hope they got J on the outbound because a short flight in Y might be survivable but I'd personally not, for any amount of miles, suffer a quick turn east coast-India in Y...that's just crazytown right there! I really can't wait to hear how this all turned out, pretty hilarious and very much one of those "only on Flyertalk" type of situations as most any other sane person would have been on the phone the instant they got the rebooking email
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by enviroian
OP please wear a concealed go pro camera when checking in for this flight.
Hopefully he remembered to turn it on before check in.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
My guess was HPN versus PHN, but the OP would need likely need a visa.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by saunders111

Demand original routing credit!

If he gets original routing credit and calls in to rectify that may also get awkward...
cmd320 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
TWOV is 24 hours.

Hope they have fun!
While this is OT, better to clear up any confusion for other folk who might read this.

TWOV requires travel to a third country.

USA-China-USA does NOT qualify.
JDiver, GUWonder and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Further stalking indicates OP posted here:
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

Looks like OP has a last-minute flight "back to the US" and is looking for seat advice for a 787-10. Guess he/she made it!

An article I found says UA flies the 787-10 between NEWARK and:
  • Frankfurt Airport (FRA) (launched March 30th)
  • Tel Aviv Ben Gurion Airport (TLV) (launched March 30th)
  • Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) (launched April 29th)
  • Barcelona – El Prat Airport (BCN) (launched April 29th)
  • Brussels Airport (BRU) (launched May 22nd)
  • Dublin Airport (DUB) (launched May 22nd)
Without strange connections, the "7900 miles away" claim doesn't really make sense unless OP started out in HNL or something. FRA instead of FAR?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by josmul123
Further stalking indicates OP posted here:
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

Looks like OP has a last-minute flight "back to the US" and is looking for seat advice for a 787-10. Guess he/she made it!

An article I found says UA flies the 787-10 between NEWARK and:
  • Frankfurt Airport (FRA) (launched March 30th)
  • Tel Aviv Ben Gurion Airport (TLV) (launched March 30th)
  • Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) (launched April 29th)
  • Barcelona – El Prat Airport (BCN) (launched April 29th)
  • Brussels Airport (BRU) (launched May 22nd)
  • Dublin Airport (DUB) (launched May 22nd)
Without strange connections, the "7900 miles away" claim doesn't really make sense unless OP started out in HNL or something. FRA instead of FAR?
Could still be a transfer though. For example BOM-FRA-EWR-XXX
josmul123, linglingfool and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
So we are getting some clues. OP is a UA FF somewhere with more than one airport, rarely flies AA and flying 787-10 on the return. That suggests he/she is EWR based and was frying AA from LGA or JFK, likely to destination UA doesn't serve well. CLT is the likely connection as UA is weak in the southeast. Plus there was a very late LGA-CLT today.

MOB fits somewhat as UA only flies from IAH which is a big backtrack. But BOM? That requires a partner flight. Would that have ticketed without someone noticing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.