Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA customer relations does not receive calls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA customer relations does not receive calls

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Antarius
The one that comes with the Chase Sapphire Reserve has covered the annual fee for the next 5 years in terms of reimbursements.
OT, but let me be a dissenting voice on the Chase Sapphire Reserve travel insurance. Their customer service is abysmal and they try every means they can to avoid paying claims. I have a simple non-refundable BA flight that I have been arguing with them about for months; they insist that BA provide a statement that there were no usable credits from the cancellation and BA of course refuses to provide anything.

If you need travel insurance I would suggest buying it instead of relying on a credit card.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Originally Posted by enpremiere
At the end of the day did you get the reimbursement that you sought?
Not what I sought, but did receive a voucher, yes. Talking on the phone with the agent, and frankly not taking 'no' for an answer, definitely made the difference.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by quinella66
Interesting - I did write back a couple of times and ask them to either provide the reibursement or call me back, they did neither and wrote this:

I'm not seeing any additional information in your most recent correspondence that would change our handling of this matter. After additional and careful consideration, our position remains unchanged. I recognize that you may disagree with our decision. Let me assure you that our position does not lessen our regard for you as our customer. It is always our pleasure to serve you, and we are eager to do so again soon. Please give us another opportunity to earn your business.

Pretty sad customer service (or lack thereof).
I don't know the details enough to know if this was appropriate or not (i.e. if they should have stepped up to the plate). Your option at this point is to escalate, and let AA management know they are impacting a customer relation. Address to use next is:

Helen Smithson

Customer Service Manager
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
[email protected]

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
[email protected]

(or at least were recently). If that does not work, then write Isom, and if that does not work, the most worthless of them all, Parker...

I have no current 411 on AAL, but in the past (and with UAL) escalation on actual serious - AND NOT MERELY TRIVIAL - CS failures, escalation to the Executive team has worked wonders. That said, if you are quibbling over $50 or $100, or its not a clear cut case where AA was at fault you will likely not get anywhere with this type of escalation. E.g. if the issue arose from weather, forgetabout it. If its a clear MX, or crew issue, you may get somewhere.

I know this doesn't directly answer your issue with AA/the airlines, but this is why travel insurance is worth its weight in gold.

The one that comes with the Chase Sapphire Reserve has covered the annual fee for the next 5 years in terms of reimbursements.
Travel insurance is a horrible, horrible, horrible deal. You can pay $20-30+/ticket, and by the time you have a chance to use it you have spent more on travel insurance than what you end up spending out of pocket. And then you have to take the trouble of having them rebate you.

The ONLY time that travel insurance makes any sense, is on a very high cost trip where there is a lot of complexity, and the rate is cheap. You can pick up a lot of hotel rooms and meals in airports with the $$$$ you save by not spending $20-30 bucks on every airline ticket you buy...
moondog and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by spin88
Travel insurance is a horrible, horrible, horrible deal. You can pay $20-30+/ticket, and by the time you have a chance to use it you have spent more on travel insurance than what you end up spending out of pocket. And then you have to take the trouble of having them rebate you.

The ONLY time that travel insurance makes any sense, is on a very high cost trip where there is a lot of complexity, and the rate is cheap. You can pick up a lot of hotel rooms and meals in airports with the $$$$ you save by not spending $20-30 bucks on every airline ticket you buy...
I am referring to travel insurance that comes with credit cards such as Amex Plat and Chase Sapphire Reserve. I pay nothing, and they've covered my trip delay costs 4 times so far.

Obviously, YMMV, but I have had good experiences.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by spin88

I have no current 411 on AAL, but in the past (and with UAL) escalation on actual serious - AND NOT MERELY TRIVIAL - CS failures, escalation to the Executive team has worked wonders. That said, if you are quibbling over $50 or $100, or its not a clear cut case where AA was at fault you will likely not get anywhere with this type of escalation. E.g. if the issue arose from weather, forgetabout it. If its a clear MX, or crew issue, you may get somewhere.
I am sure it as merely trivial. 99.9999999999999999999% of customer service crap is trivial in the big picture.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Global Entry
I am referring to travel insurance that comes with credit cards such as Amex Plat and Chase Sapphire Reserve. I pay nothing, and they've covered my trip delay costs 4 times so far.

Obviously, YMMV, but I have had good experiences.
the US Amex plat doesn’t come with any trip insurance. You have to make a separate insurance purchase. Also many such credit cards have a condition that the trip must have been paid with the card for trip insurance coverage to be valid. I do agree that a trip insurance is well justified if the trip cost is relatively high.

edited to reflect my Amex plat card region

Last edited by flyinggum; Jul 28, 2019 at 1:37 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyinggum

Amex plat doesn’t come with any trip insurance. You have to make a separate insurance purchase. Also many such credit cards have a condition that the trip must have been paid with the card for trip insurance coverage to be valid. I do agree that a trip insurance is well justified if the trip cost is relatively high.
It may not provide insurance in yout region, but there are regions where it provides a very comprehensive coverage for travel insurance - see https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...17July2018.pdf for example
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm not sure how relevant this is, but about 5-6 days ago I sent an Email to AA Customer Relations (via "Contact Me" on the website) and they did call me this morning.

Of course, the email had emphasized that I needed a prompt reply and I had already taken the trip I was asking about. And, I'm not sure if was good or bad that the rep's first words were "I apologize for calling you early on a Sunday morning" and they called at 8AM and I had only gone to bed at 5:30AM (I go to bed late anyway and had taken a west-to-east flight the previous day so was jet lagged).
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It may not provide insurance in yout region, but there are regions where it provides a very comprehensive coverage for travel insurance - see https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...17July2018.pdf for example
im in the US. looks like you pulled up an australian one, mate

Last edited by flyinggum; Jul 28, 2019 at 1:48 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

im in the US. looks like you pulled up an australian one, mate
you made a blanket statement that American Express platinum card does not provide travel insurance - in some regions , it does
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:12 pm

I submitted a query via the customer relations link on aa.com. I got an automated reply acknowledging my query. Then waited a week without any response. It does get frustrating for those who (expect) a courtesy follow up from a human rather than a computer. A follow up email to a senior vice president of customer relations (Google it) may have helped me get a response because shortly after I got one phone call from customer relations yesterday and another today. My query (ec261) was answered to my satisfaction on the second phone call.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
I'm not sure how relevant this is, but about 5-6 days ago I sent an Email to AA Customer Relations (via "Contact Me" on the website) and they did call me this morning.

Of course, the email had emphasized that I needed a prompt reply and I had already taken the trip I was asking about.
If I understand, your trip in question occurred between writing in and hearing back. I think calling Reservations (rather than writing to Customer Relations) is recommended for any issues with *upcoming* travel.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:52 am

the US Amex plat doesn’t come with any trip insurance. You have to make a separate insurance purchase. Also many such credit cards have a condition that the trip must have been paid with the card for trip insurance coverage to be valid. I do agree that a trip insurance is well justified if the trip cost is relatively high.
Well, then what we have here is some good advice: charge travel to cards that provide delay and/or cancellation insurance and not to cards that don't.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Let's face it...very few large companies provide excellent customer service these days (particularly in the commodity industries). If we want clear and consistent compensation for delays/cancellations/etc., then the US are going to have to do the same as the EU and have clear laws which regulate such. Of course, the likelihood of having basic consumer protections in the current political climate in the US is virtually nil.
GUWonder and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.