Wiki Posts
Search

free (regular) economy seat selection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
free (regular) economy seat selection

I usually fly Delta for business and leisure, but for an upcoming trip AA is ~$200 cheaper. The trip will be paid for by the 'client' (a big organization, not an individual person) and I will book it through Amex One. They know my preference of window seats, A side on east bound, F on west bound, and even if they don't select the seat I like, I have no problem of going into my Skymiles and selecting a different window seat for FREE (no status this year). The client doesn't pay for extras, like seat selection, checked bags, etc., but pays for regular economy fare (not Basic), and usually accommodates requests for specific flights, even if they aren't the cheapest option. I would like to save the client $200 by flying AA over Delta, but I'm afraid that without status, I will end up in a middle seat, cause that's all they'll have available for free during booking. I'm claustrophobic and couldn't stand a middle seat for more than 30 minutes! The flight is about 5 weeks out. AA advertises 'free seat selection', but unlike Delta, you can't see which seats would qualify for that and are still available, until AFTER booking? What are my options for obtaining a window seat at the time of booking?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by altabello
I usually fly Delta for business and leisure, but for an upcoming trip AA is ~$200 cheaper. The trip will be paid for by the 'client' (a big organization, not an individual person) and I will book it through Amex One. They know my preference of window seats, A side on east bound, F on west bound, and even if they don't select the seat I like, I have no problem of going into my Skymiles and selecting a different window seat for FREE (no status this year). The client doesn't pay for extras, like seat selection, checked bags, etc., but pays for regular economy fare (not Basic), and usually accommodates requests for specific flights, even if they aren't the cheapest option. I would like to save the client $200 by flying AA over Delta, but I'm afraid that without status, I will end up in a middle seat, cause that's all they'll have available for free during booking. I'm claustrophobic and couldn't stand a middle seat for more than 30 minutes! The flight is about 5 weeks out. AA advertises 'free seat selection', but unlike Delta, you can't see which seats would qualify for that and are still available, until AFTER booking? What are my options for obtaining a window seat at the time of booking?
go to aa.com and search for the date you need to fly. When you get to search results page - click on Seats button and you will see all seats in blue that are free. Also more free seats will open up at T-24
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
On aa.com, under plan travel you can select Flight Schedules and notifications. From there you can see the seat map for any flight, including which seats cost money to reserve.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by gateH15

go to aa.com and search for the date you need to fly. When you get to search results page - click on Seats button and you will see all seats in blue that are free. Also more free seats will open up at T-24
On one of the legs, there's only one free window seat, and it doesn't recline. At T-24, what kind of seats will open up? 'Preferred' ones, that didn't get selected by elites? If I take that last, non-reclining window seat, could I still switch at T-24? Thanks for your response, I couldn't figure out how to access the seat map prior to reading that!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by altabello
On one of the legs, there's only one free window seat, and it doesn't recline. At T-24, what kind of seats will open up? 'Preferred' ones, that didn't get selected by elites? If I take that last, non-reclining window seat, could I still switch at T-24? Thanks for your response, I couldn't figure out how to access the seat map prior to reading that!
which flight are you looking at?
May T-24 they open up regular seats towards the end that are only available to elites right now. Also if you ask at check in or at the gate they can switch you to preferred or even MCE if it’s available. Prefered set is the same as regular, it’s just towards the front of the plane
altabello likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.