Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get on Diverted Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Get on Diverted Flight?

So as a lot of people are probably aware, bad storms in ORD today causing massive delays and lots of diversions.

I happen to be flying from one of AA's popular diversion points for ORD and so right now there are 3 or 4 mainline planes sitting in my city, some with extensive delay times. I am currently booked on a regularly scheduled Eagle flight and as we all know these are usually the first to get cancelled to make room for the bigger guys. Having that concern, does anyone know (or have experience) if there is a possibility to get on the leg to ORD from one of these diverted planes? (Assume that the plane isn't 100% full and is a domestic flight).

Is this something that can be done? and by whom? or just pray my scheduled flight doesn't get cancelled.

TIA
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Yes, it can be done in extreme circumstances. It basically has to be initiated by airport emplyees and it is very rare, only used for operational reasons (say a locally originating flight is overbooked).
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
Yes, it can be done in extreme circumstances. It basically has to be initiated by airport emplyees and it is very rare, only used for operational reasons (say a locally originating flight is overbooked).
I sort of figured that. I feel back for the people on the redeye from LA with a new arrival time into ORD at 4pm but it would have been nice for me to get on that plane (if seats are there). I can imagine a lot of people with ORD as their final just drove the 3-4 hours instead of waiting 9ish hours.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Funny thing. I asked a retired captain a similar question last weekend.

For years, but mostly pre-9/11, I flew almost weekly under a negotiated fare deal. Always last-minute booking and usually arrived at the airport as a standby without an assigned seat. I was put on more than one diverted flight and more than one delayed still at the gate flight, but that all but stopped after 9/11.

A few days before I saw him we sat on an RJ through a long departure hold at a smaller Texas end-of-spoke airport. A mainline MD-80 diverted in for weather. Despite there being empty seats and quite a bit of time overlap nobody off that plane was re-accommodated onto our flight. I was surprised they did not. (Flight Aware indicated that flight truncated at the outstation and they spent the night there).

The captain is not a fan of his old union, current management, the FAA, or the TSA and is usually a good and unbiased source. More or less agreed with Post 2, but was surprisingly and unusually cryptic. He emphasized repeatedly you had better have a really defensible reason for coming back to the gate and opening the door. Would not comment on the specific question if security changes played a part in the change. But like you it sure seems to me like it used to happen.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jayer
Funny thing. I asked a retired captain a similar question last weekend.

For years, but mostly pre-9/11, I flew almost weekly under a negotiated fare deal. Always last-minute booking and usually arrived at the airport as a standby without an assigned seat. I was put on more than one diverted flight and more than one delayed still at the gate flight, but that all but stopped after 9/11.

A few days before I saw him we sat on an RJ through a long departure hold at a smaller Texas end-of-spoke airport. A mainline MD-80 diverted in for weather. Despite there being empty seats and quite a bit of time overlap nobody off that plane was re-accommodated onto our flight. I was surprised they did not. (Flight Aware indicated that flight truncated at the outstation and they spent the night there).

The captain is not a fan of his old union, current management, the FAA, or the TSA and is usually a good and unbiased source. More or less agreed with Post 2, but was surprisingly and unusually cryptic. He emphasized repeatedly you had better have a really defensible reason for coming back to the gate and opening the door. Would not comment on the specific question if security changes played a part in the change. But like you it sure seems to me like it used to happen.
That is a bit of an anachronism.

The extra tasks involved once there is passenger movement on fairly easily accomplished. While it makes no sense to to do if the diversion is just long enough to pick up some fuel, if it is going to run past 90-120 minutes, keeping pax cooped up onboard makes no sense.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Originally Posted by Often1
That is a bit of an anachronism.

The extra tasks involved once there is passenger movement on fairly easily accomplished. While it makes no sense to to do if the diversion is just long enough to pick up some fuel, if it is going to run past 90-120 minutes, keeping pax cooped up onboard makes no sense.
​​​​​​Flight diversions are frequently on rolling delays, pilots want to get you back into the air as soon as weather clears and they are assigned a take off / landing slot, making predicting the total delay time difficult. The time to unload and reload an aircraft is not trivial, particularly at smaller outstations where the gate and ground staff may be simply unavliable with short notice.

Sure once the plane is unloaded due to extended delay, crew time out etc it becomes a paper work exercise, one that can still be distracting from getting an already late flight out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.