Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines history: TWA L-1011 TriStar and its premiere

Old Jul 16, 19, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Wonderful seat diagram of TWA L-1011 in its delivery configuration...and a look at its final stunning livery too:

scoonee, railmatt and Air Houston like this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 10:50 am

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Favorite plane of all time
Old Jul 16, 19, 11:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Lockheed L-1011 was a superior aircraft to the Douglas DC-10 in a number of ways, but the single choice of the Rolls Royce RB-211 single spool engine was a major setback to this aircraft. The S-duct engine mounting was also safer than the DC-10 engine mounting, but the restrictions of a fixed duct precluded Lockheed from considering other engines than the RR RB-211. Engine development and financial problems led to Rolls’ bankruptcy, leading to a two year delay in the TriStar coming to market. As a result, while MDD easily developed and sold the enhanced DC-10-30, Lockheed only sold 250 TriStars of all models, lost money and departed the passenger aircraft market. (Ironically, the poor sales of McDonnell Douglas’ followup to the DC-10, the MD-11, purchased by AA and often referred to as the “MD a lemon”, caused MDD’s failure and takeover by Boeing.)

The TriStar was operated by Delta, Eastern, Pan Am and TWA all operated TriStars, as did several others. I flew in a number of these - BA, BWIA, Eastern, Delta, Pan Am, TWA. Nice reminiscences if TW TriStars. I loved the final color scheme.

The Airline History Museum in Kansas City preserves a Lockheed L-1011-1. Link
Old Jul 16, 19, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
The Lockheed L-1011 was a superior aircraft to the Douglas DC-10 in a number of ways
I always preferred L1011s to DC10s from a strictly aesthetic/comfort standpoint, but I happened to get upgraded to F on a CO DC10 during the mid 80s, and was seriously blown away.
Old Jul 16, 19, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There were 2 different versions 1 Intl and the other Domestic. Just loved the Intl seats and all, didnt care much for the Domestic version. this was in Biz or Ambassador cabin. But back then many carriers were flying the 747 on the Trancons so I preferred that over the 1011D
Old Jul 16, 19, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Final TWA L-1011 Domestic Configuration:

Markie and 767-322ETOPS like this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The L-1011 was one of my favorite planes for sure. Flew many of them between MCO and ATL and I remember flying on quite a few out of LGA as well. Mainly on Delta, but I may have been on a few TWA versions, I honestly cannot remember at this point.

Never liked the DC-10 and in general tried to avoid them where possible.
Old Jul 16, 19, 2:18 pm

Wow...a section dedicated to smoking and mature movies. Just add a little booze and you've got a recipe for a good time!
moondog, scoonee, AAway and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
I always liked the L-1011. It felt like you were flying in a tank.

DL used to have them plying the ATL-TPA run frequently when I was traveling back and forth to college in the '90's...
Old Jul 17, 19, 12:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
I loved that plane. Quiet up front and smooth ride.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Agree that the L-1011 was much better than the DC-10 but on a few occasions, I ended up in the middle seat of a five seat middle section, and it was a miserable experience. I don’t miss the old wide body aircraft because I mostly associate them with smoke filled cabins on long, tedious international flights which, afterward I was left with burning eyes and lungs for days. I probably would have died of lung cancer long ago (even though I never smoked) if they hadn’t banned smoking on airlines.
Old Jul 17, 19, 1:09 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy View Post
I always liked the L-1011. It felt like you were flying in a tank.

DL used to have them plying the ATL-TPA run frequently when I was traveling back and forth to college in the '90's...
I flew Delta's L1011 MCO - ATL on one occasion in 1981 - I think. At BA we had several L1011s on Short Haul and Long Haul and crew assigned to that flew wherever it went. It was known as Mid-Fleet and they then went to the 767-300s when the Tristars were retired. We used them a lot on the LHR-CDG route. Getting the service out to Club Europe where we could have 100 or so passengers was a challenge with those underfloor galleys. I flew the TWA aircraft regularly on the day flight back to LHR from JFK even when they were sharing the flight with Gulf Air and the aircraft went on to Bahrain from London.
JDiver, Geordie405 and AirlineLoop like this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 8:31 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
My first L1011 was an Eastern flight between ATL and PIT. It was also one of my first flights of my life at the age of 7. Good times. Years later, I flew on a DL L1011 between CVG and FLL during Spring Break. It was packed to the gills with Spring Breakers (me being one of them).
Old Jul 18, 19, 9:24 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
I flew it numerous time on TWA from STL to LGA and back near the end of it's useful life and can remember waiting to see how many overhead bins would pop open on a less than perfect landing and it was a fair number.
Old Jul 18, 19, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
See my handle name! LOL

You can give me any fancy 777, A333Neo, Dreamliner, whatever, but the TWA L-1011 will still be my favorite plane until the day I die. Rolling down the runway, looking up watching those ceiling panels shake from side to side at the roar of the RR engines. Nothing will beat it in my book
JDiver, Air Houston and AANYC1981 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: