Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA flights with no air conditioning on ground becoming regular occurrence?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Third time in as many weeks on a flight (mainline, not RJ) with no air conditioning on a 90+ day. With the move off the gate and sit maneuver to fake on-time departure, sitting in ground traffic, and then atc holds the planes were all well over 100 degrees. One was deplaned at 105 when they knew we wouldn’t depart for another 30 and the temps were way over 110 before we got off.

Previously I was really annoyed. Today was with my pregnant wife and a toddler who were both not dealing with the heat we’ll. The crew tried their ‘we’ve got it turned up’ speech but there was literally no air coming out, and the plane only cooled to what I would guess is the 80s while in flight. They offered no water while waiting, no updates, and when paged, treated me like I was the problem when the whole plane was complaining.

How can this be considered safe? Is this the norm this summer?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
This is 99% the fault of the captain, either for not turning on the APU and air conditioning packs, or ensuring that ground air is connected for a cooling source. I would complain during and after the flight if it is not corrected. Captains are afraid of retribution from the company for fuel savings and are not turning on the APU when needed
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:30 pm

Sitting on 2206 (DFW-MIA, 772) right now, ac isn’t great in places. It froze up and they are trying to thaw it. Not the whole plane, it seems. But the farther back you get the warmer it is.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: CO
I thought this was the norm now? My last 3 round trips the last 2 weeks none have had AC on the ground ORD-LGA x2 and ORD-DEN
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:39 pm

I have no idea how common this is, but it did happen to me about maybe three flights ago. Boarded from DCA gate 35X, sat in plane for a while because they "could not find working starter cart", no AC. Deplaned by bus after about half an hour on hot plane. Sat around in terminal for an hour, reboarded, taxied out to tarmac in hot plane, sat for about an hour, returned to gate due to "hydraulics problem" and deplaned via bus. Sat around in terminal for an hour or so until AA cancelled flight. Hey, the AC on the multiple bus rides worked great, so AA must be doing something right!

saunders111
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The time to deal with this is on the spot. Hit the call button and ask why the AC isn't on. Do it loud enough that others join the chorus. Unless both units are out or there is some extraordinary reason, you'll find it on soon enough.

Complaining afterwards does nothing.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:13 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
At 8am in PHL today when it was already pushing 80 outside, the E175 I boarded had no AC. First time I can recall this happening in...well, I can't recall a time when AC wasn't functional at the gate on a hot day.

The FA and Captain told us the AC isn't working until the engines start. It wasn't to the point of unbearable, and sure enough when we pushed back and the engines spooled up the AC was a welcome Arctic blast.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: CK or bust
It’s a new revenue generating strategy:

Basic economy = no AC

Premium cabin = ice in the PDB
rknicker likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
It’s a new revenue generating strategy:

Basic economy = no AC

Premium cabin = ice in the PDB
There is no PDB in first anymore =p. So it’s the same as BE!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I had A/C this afternoon in PHL on an A332. Haven’t noticed a pattern of no ground A/C.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:08 pm

Do pilots have an AC just in cockpit while it’s off in the cabin?
when it is that hot I wonder how do they deal with it. And how come FAs are not complaining to unions about unsafe working conditions ?
rknicker and honeytoes like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Perhaps only additional circumstantial evidence but AA020 DFW>LHR on 7/15 delayed nearly two hours and required a plane swap due to an A/C maintenance issue according to the notes on EF. Surprisingly, the notes didn’t indicate the new metal but I watched the original bird sit at D23 unmoving while pax were moved to a different plane at D27. Should’ve checked the tail numbers before and after the announcement, I suppose, but considered myself lucky there was another 772 hanging around with the right load package or the delay may have been much longer.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by birddogmax
due to an A/C maintenance issue according to the notes on EF
That A/C = aircraft, not air conditioning.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by PHL
At 8am in PHL today when it was already pushing 80 outside, the E175 I boarded had no AC. First time I can recall this happening in...well, I can't recall a time when AC wasn't functional at the gate on a hot day.

The FA and Captain told us the AC isn't working until the engines start. It wasn't to the point of unbearable, and sure enough when we pushed back and the engines spooled up the AC was a welcome Arctic blast.

that would be true if the APU is inoperative, however, cold air should be available at the gate via a conditioned air cart or dedicated hose at the jetway. The captain's responsibility is to make sure the aircraft is a reasonable (i.e. safe) temperature for passengers. If it is not, then do not permit boarding.
Spiff and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Message conveyed: "folks if you would please close your shades to ensure the cabin remains cool"

True meaning message: "folks if you would please close your shades to ensure the cabin remains cool because the captain/company is too cheap to hook up the a/c".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.