Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Million Miler Doesn’t Reward Long Term Loyalty... Learn From My Mistake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Million Miler Doesn’t Reward Long Term Loyalty... Learn From My Mistake

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:40 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Well, I think most agree that AA should create a path to at least LT Plat Pro. If not at 3M level, since some are so concerned about the lack of those miles that were obtained via BIS (to which i say who cares it was 8 years ago and it becomes less of an issue each and every year) or at a somewhat higher level to reflect the pre-2011 approach to earning status. The latter, however, will put AA at a further disadvantage as time marches onward.
GUWonder and LovePrunes like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
CO has had lifetime elite status members in and from the 1990s. Back then it was Infinite Elite but became lifetime Platinum from the late 1990s onward. But for around a decade (c 1997/99 — c 2008) they may have stopped allowing for new lifetime elite status members, but then again they opened the gates to add new lifetime elite status members.
My LT status from UA is from being Infinite on C0 - earned mid-1990s. The rule was you had to earn top tier five years in a row, and earn it at the level for top tier that was in effect for each year. When the program started CO levels were 20/40/60K (60K being top). Then it dropped to 20/35/50K (50K being top). The five years had to be consecutive, if you earned 50K miles in a 60K year (even though you were comp'ed to that highest level that year) that did not count. Of course, this was the period when most people thought CO was going under.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:24 pm

Not to mention much better legroom, much better food and consistently professional people both on board and at the airport.

[QUOTE=newyorkgeorge;31309732]Can we accept that the wonderful days of FF programs have come to an end and most changes going forward won't be a benefit to FFs. Let's just be happy we had the days of glory. Those young bucks and dos road warriors will will never know the days of obtaining EXP by mid year, upgrades a plenty, 8 SWUs, and oodles of RDMs. /QUOTE]
abk and andrewstahl like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by cova

There are some people on AA who have 75 MM - in their Lifetime balance.
Wow! How much do the top five AAdvantage members have?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Wow! How much do the top five AAdvantage members have?
Not sure. But I was on the OneWorld Megado about 6-7 years ago (President of AAdvantage was on the trip). During a session there was a trivia contest and one question what was the most LT miles that anyone had. Answer was 75MM - but there are many people well over 10-20 MM. Some at 50+MM etc.

These people made it from CC spend and manufactured spending. I don't think AA has the history data to go back 30 years and recreate the number of BIS miles - so how are they going to do a higher LT program? Say - 50MM gives you LT EXP???
I suspect that AA has saved the BIS miles for more recent years - so maybe 50 years from now - they can pull it up and create a LT program. Who knows - we have only had commercial jet service for about 60 years. Hard to say what 50 years from now will be?

A few years back, I was on a flight in F and sitting next to a woman from Mexico (frequent business traveler to the US - works for big company). She said that AA had given out LT EXP at 3MM to some people. Can't confirm - but she seemed to be well informed. Maybe AA has done if for foreign travelers.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: CK or bust
Not sure. But I was on the OneWorld Megado about 6-7 years ago (President of AAdvantage was on the trip). During a session there was a trivia contest and one question what was the most LT miles that anyone had. Answer was 75MM - but there are many people well over 10-20 MM. Some at 50+MM etc.

These people made it from CC spend and manufactured spending. I don't think AA has the history data to go back 30 years and recreate the number of BIS miles - so how are they going to do a higher LT program? Say - 50MM gives you LT EXP???
I suspect that AA has saved the BIS miles for more recent years - so maybe 50 years from now - they can pull it up and create a LT program. Who knows - we have only had commercial jet service for about 60 years. Hard to say what 50 years from now will be?

A few years back, I was on a flight in F and sitting next to a woman from Mexico (frequent business traveler to the US - works for big company). She said that AA had given out LT EXP at 3MM to some people. Can't confirm - but she seemed to be well informed. Maybe AA has done if for foreign travelers.
While certainly not personally privy to LT considerations at AA beyond what’s published and marketed, quite often nominated statuses including EP and CK year over year as part of major travel contracts are confused with LT status.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:12 am

How odd. If what you heard from the Mexican woman is correct, I find it odd that at 3 million they skipped from lifetime Platinum to lifetime executive Platinum, right past something like lifetime Platinum pro, first.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
How odd. If what you heard from the Mexican woman is correct, I find it odd that at 3 million they skipped from lifetime Platinum to lifetime executive Platinum, right past something like lifetime Platinum pro, first.
a few years ago there was no platinum pro - quite possible it was before its introduction
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
For the Lifetime plats out there frustrated with lowly placement on upgrade list. Mine cleared with 48 hours out. Should I mention it's a 12:50 AM departure RNO-DFW? AND my preferred coach seat has vanished. Connecting flight to MIA should have me number 35 on upgrade list. I'd rather be number 35 than 2. Much more relaxing and I never choose AA if I cannot book a decent coach seat.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:25 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by hedoman
Connecting flight to MIA should have me number 35 on upgrade list. I'd rather be number 35 than 2.
That is a very odd sentiment - to me at least. At #2 I am cautiously optimistic that I may make it!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:25 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Perhaps the only thing I don't like about the MM programme post-2011 is the fact that partner miles are not always based on the miles flown. Rather, it is based on the fare bucket and miles flown (n.b. If you fly JL in S, then you get 50% of your actual flight miles as MQM instead of 100% because the RDM is awarded at 50%.). It makes qualifying for MM that much harder for people outside of the US.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Plat Pro wasn't around at the time we spoke. She was very sophisticated professional woman. I questioned here a few times and she was definite - Lifetime EXP at 3mm (not free CK or EXP from corp contracts).

Mexico City has a very big population and lots of professional, educated people that work for large companies both USA based companies and Mexican based. There is a huge travel market out of Mexico City for Business travelers. AA may have done something special in Mexico. I doubt that there was a lot of Manufactured Spending done by Mexican Business travelers - so added a LT status for Mexican citizens may have been something AA did.

Last edited by cova; Jul 23, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Plat Pro wasn't around at the time we spoke. She was very sophisticated professional woman. I questioned here a few times and she was definite - Lifetime EXP at 3mm (not free CK or EXP from corp contracts).

Mexico City has a very big population and lots of professional, educated people that work for large companies both USA based companies and Mexican based. There is a huge travel market out of Mexico City for Business travelers. AA may have done something special in Mexico. I doubt that there was a lot of Manufactured Spending done by Mexican Business travelers - so added a LT status for Mexican citizens may have been something AA did.
This sounds more like a multi-year contract that included EP nominations.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enpremiere

This sounds more like a multi-year contract that included EP nominations.
And even that is pushing it as an explanation.

No "LT EXP at 3MM"s were handed out.
richarddd and enpremiere like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:40 pm

i have not read the whole thread but have a couple of observations. I am LT Plat. No I don't get free upgrades anymore, What I do get is the ability to pre select my seats, usually exit row, if I am not flying F. More important to me are the OW benefits. I am retired and travel international a lot. Usually using miles. My status allows me to pre select seats bus or F depending on what route and airline I am flying. I guess I am amazed that some people assume, because they have status they have some entitlement.

In my view elite status carries a lot of benefits but you have to temper your expectations.

YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.