Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Million Miler Doesn’t Reward Long Term Loyalty... Learn From My Mistake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Million Miler Doesn’t Reward Long Term Loyalty... Learn From My Mistake

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by madmexusa
No specific incident ... AA is clear that their million miler program offers basically nothing. Just conveying that AA million miler is the WORST in the industry by any measure... I, unfortunately, did not pay enough attention until it was too late.
Lifetime Platinum is exactly the same as the annual platinum
Lifetime Gold is exactly the same as annual gold

When you were earning miles in the 90s and 00s , all miles ( flown, bonus, credit card etc ) counted towards earning Lifetime status , so if earning 100% bonuses as a platinum or executive platinum member, you needed to fly only 500k for Gold and 1M for Platinum ( 5 years as an EP member could easily get lifetime platinum )

It offers noting beyond this, but never has ; once you earn the lifetime platinum status, can just rest on ones laurels and enjoy what it offers

What do you expect AA to do for you once you have completed its highest lifetime status? if you studied the programme , you must have known that you had everything to offer, many years ago
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just finished my morning cuppa, interesting posts from everyone, but just wondering, why do we chase status on airlines with so much passion. ( I am now, not really bothered that much)
its not like any airline will treat us like family /friends.. is it a boost for our ego's to say that we are EXP this, or DM that or lifetime gold on BA?
Does having status with hotels, car rentals, etc really make us feel better about ourselves?
anyway, just thinking
internationaltoll likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Assuming the program doesn't change I have for the rest of my flying days free MCE, OW lounge access when traveling Internationally, free bag, priority boarding Group 3, the chance to upgrade. I'm good with that. I'm not sure what the "rip off is."
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:20 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Assuming the program doesn't change I have for the rest of my flying days ....the chance to upgrade. I'm good with that. I'm not sure what the "rip off is."
Since the pecking order for upgrades within each tier is now dependent on dollars spent in previous 12 months, I’m not banking on upgrades as a lifetime member once my work travel curtails. The other perks will still put AA ahead of an airline where I don’t have status but they may not always be a deciding factor when booking a flight with competitive options of other airlines.

Of course, they can also change the platinum benefits, as they’ve done to gold, and we could see the loss of intl lounge access, advance free MCE assignment, etc.

Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by fotographer
Does having status with hotels, car rentals, etc really make us feel better about ourselves?
To answer your question: for me, yes. It feels good to be able to travel with family and friends and be somewhat 'taken care of' by the companies with which I have achieved status.

Others may feel differently, of course.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by moondog
You only have yourself to blame. It takes an entire 5 minutes to get a clear understanding of the benefits.
What a goofy statement.

Sure, if all you want to do is understand AA's lifetime program it takes five minutes. If you want to understand how it compares to the entire universe of alternative FF programs, it takes a lot longer. (Hence the value of threads like this for future researchers.)
GUWonder, LINDEGR and robertablake like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:33 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Just finished my morning cuppa, interesting posts from everyone, but just wondering, why do we chase status on airlines with so much passion. ( I am now, not really bothered that much)
its not like any airline will treat us like family /friends.. is it a boost for our ego's to say that we are EXP this, or DM that or lifetime gold on BA?
anyway, just thinking
Thanks to LT status I no longer chase but did so for many years for the extra perks - not ego-driven at all.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:47 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I will admit to being disappointed when there was nothing offered above 2 MM for LT Plat Pro.
That's my biggest frustration. LT Platinum means one thing when mid-tier. It is now the second lowest of arguably five (at least four) tiers. That and the change to rolling EQDs for upgrades means a LT Platinum who rarely flies is effectively just at the top of the golds. These downgrades to my perceived value of LT Plat occurred without any changes to the written terms. Nonetheless, I am still glad I have it for the benefits it confers as it sure beats nothing!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
anyway, just thinking
On this, can someone explain what the purpose of the luggage tags is other than to flaunt your status?
Or do they get you lounge access?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Can we accept that the wonderful days of FF programs have come to an end and most changes going forward won't be a benefit to FFs. Let's just be happy we had the days of glory. Those young bucks and dos road warriors will will never know the days of obtaining EXP by mid year, upgrades a plenty, 8 SWUs, and oodles of RDMs. Be happy for some of the better things. Free drink(s) in MCE. Better offerings in the ACs.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by carlosdca
On this, can someone explain what the purpose of the luggage tags is other than to flaunt your status?
Or do they get you lounge access?
Have not had a luggage tag including the million milers on my luggage in the last 6 years..
(it helps that a dont check a bag and been lucky not to have to gate check)
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by SEA737
Programs do want to incentivize behavior, but credibility is an important factor in incentivizing behavior, so they can't just forget the rewarding aspect. A well-executed program has to be a credible one, and a credible one has to be a rewarding one (for past behavior).
True. In my opinion, the Aadvantage program is losing that credibility. I am having a very tough time finding award tickets for the flights I want to take.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Well, if you are a PP, you are quite happy that there is no lifetime EXP beating you out for that one UG seat. It's a zero-sum game and if everyone is special, nobody is special.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by genotonda
Where has this been confirmed? I have only seen speculation thus far.
Only speculation here and on the blogs - which usually are pretty accurate of future changes (they have connections at AA). There is a thread on the subject here on FT in AA forum.

UA has had TODs for some time and it is only a matter of time when AA does (my view).

At least on UA the upgrade priority (if it ever happens) is based on elite level, but then within elite level - the fare code you have in your current ticket. AA is rolling 12 months EQD. At least with UA you ave a better chance if you buy a more expensive ticket for a given flight.

On AA - many CKs don't buy expensive domestic ticket or J tickets because they know they have a very high chance of getting an upgrade.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Can we accept that the wonderful days of FF programs have come to an end and most changes going forward won't be a benefit to FFs. Let's just be happy we had the days of glory. Those young bucks and dos road warriors will will never know the days of obtaining EXP by mid year, upgrades a plenty, 8 SWUs, and oodles of RDMs. Be happy for some of the better things. Free drink(s) in MCE. Better offerings in the ACs.
I first got AA Platinum in 2015 and even that was still early enough to experience the 100% RDM (on FLOWN miles) bonus. Used to regularly get 10K RDM a pop on $300 JFK-LAX roundtrips which was clearly unsustainable. Great while it lasted, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.