Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Million Miler Doesnt Reward Long Term Loyalty... Learn From My Mistake

AA Million Miler Doesnt Reward Long Term Loyalty... Learn From My Mistake

Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by madmexusa
If you are interested in long term appreciation for loyalty on AA forget it ... they drop you in a flash and give you a watered down platinum status as a "reward."
I would never plan my flying in anticipation of any long-term reward. Surely you see how (A) all programs are degenerating, and (B) all airlines freely use their fine-print right to alter plan terms at any time. In this dynamic environment it is plain foolish to count on some prize atop a distant mountain remaining static in the years it takes you to climb up and claim it.

Make your decisions like all programs are going to collapse next week.

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
this is why I am going for Lifetime Emerald on British Airways.
Goodness, why? Why would you believe them?
200nites likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jordyn
I mean, the title of the thread literally includes the words "learn from my mistake" and I don't see anything in the OP demanding different behavior from AA, so...seems fine?

I think OP makes it quite clear that there was lots of BIS flying, and I've yet to hear of someone who earned CK from predominantly economy travel, so those points seem like strawmen.
Given that until 2011 , all miles from all sources counted, there are a large number of the earned miles since the 90s are , I suggest, likely to not be based on flown miles

The whole rant with comments such as "they (sic) drop you in a flash " suggest an expectation of benefits other than published

In the end, it is just a business relationship - the airline doesn't 'care' about the people, it just provides benefits based on its criteria - if the benefits are better elsewhere, then go elsewhere , but no reason to rant about it
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
I see you found my video taken when my first upgrade didn't clear.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
LAA even before 2011 never had Lifetime EXP. The max level has always been Lifetime PLT. If one doesn't take the time to understand the program benefits it's on them. As has been said loyalty programs are aimed to keep you coming back.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:59 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Incorrect -- UA gives 1K for 3MM and GS for 4MM.
Speaking as someone who has over 8 million miles I can see the OP's point and agree with him. Had I stayed on with UA (which I don't regret not doing) I would be in a much better position regarding lifetime status as I think I would at Delta. Yes, in the old days credit card spend counted but AA took this into account when they pegged the number of miles for their lifetime status relative to the other carriers. I would also say that creating Platinum Pro with out a corresponding lifetime level bothered me. Before a lifetime platinum was below Exec plat and had a decent shot at upgrades now it may as well be lifetime gold.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Incorrect -- UA gives 1K for 3MM and GS for 4MM.
I have looked a few awards on UA recently and cannot find any cheap domestic trips close to the miles I need for AA. I am finding AA requirements for a trip from DFW to a specific FL destination at 6K miles and up, United usually doesn't even have them at their 12500 mile award level.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that until 2011 , all miles from all sources counted, there are a large number of the earned miles since the 90s are , I suggest, likely to not be based on flown miles
This is addressed squarely in the OP. Read the second to last paragraph.

Regardless of the OP's situation, if you just read the text of the message without trying to impose any additional interpretation, it's totally sound advice: if you expect to fly >2 millions of miles, it is likely you'll end up with better lifetime status on many other airlines than AA. Did OP express that the best way possible? Probably not, but their frustration can nonetheless serve as an object lesson for future FlyerTalk readers who may find themselves with significant amounts of travel projected in the years ahead.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/CK 8 MILLION MILES, DL, UA MILLION MILER, MARRIOTT TITANIUM, HILTON DIAMOND, HERTZ PRESIDENTS

Regardless of the OP's situation, if you just read the text of the message without trying to impose any additional interpretation, it's totally sound advice: if you expect to fly >2 millions of miles, it is likely you'll end up with better lifetime status on many other airlines than AA. Did OP express that the best way possible? Probably not, but their frustration can nonetheless serve as an object lesson for future FlyerTalk readers who may find themselves with significant amounts of travel projected in the years ahead.
This is exactly how I meant it. I flew and flew on AA and didn't focus much on their long term loyalty program ... I did get what they promised ... just a heads up for others to not make the same mistake .. granted, the programs change, but today AA is at the back of the back on million miler program benefits... I already have 1.5 milllion on UA ... If I had flown the flights on their metal I would be GS for life with a companion today ...
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/CK 8 MILLION MILES, DL, UA MILLION MILER, MARRIOTT TITANIUM, HILTON DIAMOND, HERTZ PRESIDENTS
Originally Posted by joeyE
OK. Alright. Fine. I'll do it...

OP, is there a specific incident in which you were contractually wronged by AA? Was there a legit expectation that wasn't met based on the terms,
or are you simply trying to convey the point that other carriers are currently more competitive with their benefits?

Hugs,
I am trying to convey the fact to others to be smart... most all programs are better than AA as far as million milers ... if you have a choice research them before giving all your loyalty to AA ... granted, they are giving what they offer. But others offer so much more.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Very well said!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:28 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
My loyalty will only extend up to making 2MM, then I'm a free agent. I could've told the OP that, and I'm presently a lowly 1,56MM.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uxb
My loyalty will only extend up to making 2MM, then I'm a free agent. I could've told the OP that, and I'm presently a lowly 1,56MM.
Ditto. I'm at about 800K on DL. Once I reach 2MM on AA, I'll switch and earn 1MM on DL.
uxb and GRALISTAIR like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bosman
I'm missing any "new news" in the OP; everything shared is fully known and understood by anyone investing 3 minutes to explore the benefits of the MM program.
Listen here, brainiac. It took me 4 minutes, so shhhhh.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
When will you change your profile to indicate you've left AA behind?
jerry305 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Watered down indeed.

Not too long ago a colleague of mine (regular earned PLT in 2018) and myself (LTPLT 3.2 M or so but only 40-45K flown out of necessity on them in 2018) were waiting to board a flight ORD-CLT. Same fare class, same fare paid, booked same time, etc. on our Corporate system. Even checked in at the same time.

He was #4 on upgrade list - did not clear.
I was #12 on upgrade list with predictable results.

17 people total on upgrade list.

I just chuckled to myself on this one as my expectations are so low with AA, but I did find it interesting that there was certainly no preference in my direction for that 3.2M LT earned with all other things being equal. Indeed, based on this little story there seemed to be a bias AGAINST LT PLTs in their system.

BA/AS are the best places to credit for domestic/internationally as a result when I still need to fly AA now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.