Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Getting to Colombia from London Economically

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold

Hi all,

I'm trying to find 'acceptable' fares from London to Columbia in First Class. Ideally I'm looking to travel LHR-MIA-BOG-CTG-LON. However, whilst the London-Miami-London legs are pretty strong fares for First Class, I cannot believe American's pricing for the Columbian Legs. For example, London-Miami-London would be circa Ł2k per passenger in First Class with the current sale pricing but the Columbian legs are even more in Business and non refundable too.

It just seems crazy - any tips would be massively appreciated as I'm not used to travelling with American.

Many thanks,

Tom
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
my guess is they do not offer discounted fares in this market so it is pricing as full fare on the 2nd portion.

you could try booking 2 tickets: LON-MIA-LON round trip, and a nested MIA-BOG-MIA round trip.

an alternative would be to use an OTA (e.g. priceline or expedia) and see how that prices it.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Bogotá is in Colombia, Columbia is in Missouri, or can be a sportswear company, university... ��

When are you proposing to travel? That can impact fares. You might also look at LON-MAD-BOG using Iberia. Their Business Plus is pretty decent (beats the slats out of CW).
jridge likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:02 pm

OP, have you tried the BA Holiday site? Many times the tickets will be significantly cheaper, and with only a 3 night hotel. Pick the cheapest hotel, and no-show. Or if there is a hotel that interests you, use that if the price is right.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Bogotá is in Colombia, Columbia is in Missouri. 😉
It’s also in So Car.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
OP, have you tried the BA Holiday site?
Yes unfortunately BA don’t sell tickets to Bogotá or Cartagena
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:10 pm

Even on a codeshare with AA? Interesting.

Have you played around with ITA Matrix? Maybe try a multi-city search?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
First, as a Gringo who has lived in Colombia more than 15 years, enough with correcting people about the spelling of Colombia. Do you chastise posters for writing Italy instead of Italia? Columbia is indeed the English spelling of the word.

When Colombians gripe about how gringos spell their country’s name I ask them how they spell United States in Spanish.

As for F pricing between the USA and Colombia, there are two things working against you:

1) Latin American Airlines, like Avianca and COPA, charge much more for business class than US airlines, and the US airlines seem to have caught on.

2) Since AA flies mostly A319’s with this only 8 business class seats to Colombian destinations, availability is limited.

i find this to be frustrating, as the fare difference is never worth it, as sitting up front in an A319 Is not much different than sitting in MCE.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Avianca flies LHR-BOG nonstop for less than $3,000 RT in biz. This is very economical IMO.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by tom139
Hi all,

I'm trying to find 'acceptable' fares from London to Columbia in First Class. Ideally I'm looking to travel LHR-MIA-BOG-CTG-LON. However, whilst the London-Miami-London legs are pretty strong fares for First Class, I cannot believe American's pricing for the Columbian Legs. For example, London-Miami-London would be circa Ł2k per passenger in First Class with the current sale pricing but the Columbian legs are even more in Business and non refundable too.

It just seems crazy - any tips would be massively appreciated as I'm not used to travelling with American.

Many thanks,

Tom
AA used to offer some really good fares from Europe to South America, but I haven’t seen any in years, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by coolcoil
First, as a Gringo who has lived in Colombia more than 15 years, enough with correcting people about the spelling of Colombia. Do you chastise posters for writing Italy instead of Italia? Columbia is indeed the English spelling of the word.

When Colombians gripe about how gringos spell their country’s name I ask them how they spell United States in Spanish.
What are you on about?

Italia in English is Italy
Unites States in Spanish is Estados Unidos
The country Colombia in English remains Colombia, it does not become Columbia.

Beano, trooper, dls25 and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

The country's name in English is also "Colombia",
Offiicially 'República de Colombia"
In English "Republic of Colombia" (officially)
jerry a. laska, Djokison and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Columbia is indeed the English spelling of the word.
No, it's not.

OP. Check Iberia and Latam websites maybe?
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:45 pm

Its called the "Embassy of Colombia" here in Oz....
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by trooper
Its called the "Embassy of Colombia" here in Oz....
Of course it is; it's inane to suggest that anything other than Colombia with an O is the appropriate spelling for said country in South America.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

As for F pricing between the USA and Colombia, there are two things working against you:

1) Latin American Airlines, like Avianca and COPA, charge much more for business class than US airlines, and the US airlines seem to have caught on.
Except on literally 100% of the fares when I book on CM or AV to Central America compared to AA. Not most of the time cheaper, all of the time cheaper. And bonus - not flying through Miami (worth $1000 right there). Usually more flexible, less moolah.

And it's Colombia in all languages, and there is not an English version called "Columbia". Nor The Saviour version for El Salvador, nor Rich (or delicious) Coast used for Costa Rica. They are proper nouns in English and Spanish.

For the OP, try CM or AV ex Miami if you must fly to Miami (bad idea) probably AV since there should be direct flights between Bogota and Cartagena that would not involve a flight back to Panama as CM might. Though not hard to get an itinerary with e-tickets on several airlines, e.g. CM to PTY and BOG and AV between the two Colombian cities. (Not Columbian cities).

Or for OW flights BA codeshares through Madrid (not Moe Dread) from LHR to BOG and skipping North America entirely. Add an AV ticket locally.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
And it's Colombia in all languages,
Actually, it's Kolumbien in German. But the suggestion that it's anything but Colombia in English is misguided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.