Wiki Posts
Search

Houston HOU vs IAH experience

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, VA
Houston HOU vs IAH experience

Say if travelling on AA between DFW and Houston, apart from the obvious geographical diff btw HOU and IAH and no AC at HOU, what other factors should I be aware of?

The schedule for DFW-HOU & DFW-IAH appear very similar. I'd presume HOU flts use smaller aircraft, right?

thanks
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
If you are just flying between DFW and HOU then probably no major downside as long as you are wanting to go to that part of Houston. They only use the CRJ-900 so if it isn't your cup of tea you are out of luck there. If you are connecting through DFW to HOU then the downside would be that DFW is your only AA option. If things in DFW get behind for weather you might be there for a bit whereas you have many more connecting options out of IAH. I've done it before because I was visiting a client on the SW side of town so it was a bit more convenient. I also got upgraded as a Platinum whereas I don't think I have ever been upgraded to IAH.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
The key is where do you need to be in Houston. IAH is up north, while HOU is down south east. Traffic sucks in Houston, so if headed out west, you wouldn't want to go to HOU, for example.

All things being equal, I prefer HOU. HOU is a nice small airport that is easy to get in and out of. IAH is a total cluster by comparison with the worst baggage delivery time in the system
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: CK or bust
I think the real distinction between HOU and IAH comes from the ease of saying those airport codes, not as letters but as words.

Just give it a go. Nobody is in the FL or AC close enough to hear you say it out loud.
Antarius and mvoight like this.

Last edited by enpremiere; Jul 12, 2019 at 9:10 pm
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I go to Houston monthly for over a year now and have decided that we prefer IAH over HOU; our decision is primarily based on distance and traffic between the airports and where we need to be. We also like that there are lots of routing options out of IAH in IRROPS, and finally the availability of the AC at IAH.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I’m not a fan of IAH either but...there is a great AC there.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
IAH has better facilities than HOU. Both outside of downtown. I prefer IAH.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I'm going to be making several flights to Houston over the next few months for work, but I am going to be using HOU because it is a lot geographically closer to the places I need to visit which are on the gulf.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I travel to Houston monthly and make multiple stops in the Houston area. I fly into HOU and out of IAH. I love HOU for late night arrival, just minutes to the outdated but well run Hobby Marriott. I fly out of IAH during a weekday afternoon, and although a short flight to DFW, the upgrade list for EXP is longer than the Amazon river.

For me- thumbs up for HOU.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I prefer IAH unless my destination is South of HOU. I don't like the congested city streets one has to take between HOU and I45. IAH has much better connections to the major highways. In my experience, DFW-HOU flights are also cancelled much more often than DFW-IAH.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA
If going to Galveston, Med Center, Southern Burbs, Fort Bend, Pasadena, or NASA....Hobby.
If going anywhere else...IAH including Downtown

IAH usually has shorter security lines. Remember you can access Terminal A via the other terminals either pre or post security.

IAH has better food services and club options

IAH has more flights on any airline except WN and Jet Blue. So in a IRROPs situation youre better off at IAH.

IAH has easier rental car and parking choices.
AAway likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold
When I was in college (Rice), I’d always use HOU (as I flew AA and WN at the time).

IAH is a haul and about 3x the Uber cost from Rice Village. I think the only time I’ve ever flown out of IAH is West Jet to YYC.

HOU security is fine if you have Pre.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:07 pm

If EXP, HOU is a much easier upgrade and I prefer the boarding and unboarding process of the smaller plane. IAH AA club is very small and gets overcrowded on high demand days.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
For questions about the geography of the airports (which is closer to where in Houston), we have an existing thread in the Texas forum:
HOU or IAH for 6:30 pm departure
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, VA
Thanks for the responses, not sure if I am travelling J or Y. What's the diff in seat comfort and food between the CRJ and a 738?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.