Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Do you exercise your priority boarding when arriving late at the gate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you exercise your priority boarding when arriving late at the gate?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyinggum
When there is a long line for general boarding as you arrive late at the gate, do you exercise your elite status and go to the priority boarding lane? I've always thought of it as a bit douchey move and potentially provocative to those in general boarding lane. I've personally never seen an elite cut off general boarding folks before. I'm assuming it's not a common practice?
for what it's worth, this is the only time I'd consider using the priority lane when general groups are being called: when I have a carry-on that requires an overhead bin while seated in Y.
Majority of elites fly in Y..
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
The point is you have a choice as an elite. Depending on the context/situation, how many of the "privileges" you choose to exercise can be considered annoying to downright inconsiderate. Why do you think there's a curtain drawn when FAs are serving F passengers?
Yes, I have a choice as an elite. I've chosen to spend money, time and effort with AA and in turn I've earned some privileges that others have not. No harm in using what I've earned. Don't be foolish enough to think the pax in general boarding wouldn't do the same if they could. Now, my only regret is that the curtain between first and coach is see-through. I much prefer the old days when Y pax couldn't see into the first cabin when the curtain was closed.
nancypants and jediwisdom like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
When there is a long line for general boarding as you arrive late at the gate, do you exercise your elite status and go to the priority boarding lane? I've always thought of it as a bit douchey move and potentially provocative to those in general boarding lane. I've personally never seen an elite cut off general boarding folks before. I'm assuming it's not a common practice?
Yes, I do. I am still entitled to board when I arrive, that is why there is a separate lane to start with. If you couldn't do it, there would not be a dedicated lane
Not "douchy" to use what I have earned
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw a couple of pax do that. I chuckled when I saw them seating in Y. I chuckled even harder when one of them was told to use the lavatory in the back by an FA in F.
AA allows use of the F cabin toilet by Y passengers on anything but international flights to the US. I don't see why you think wanting to board before others in Y is funny.
There are valid reasons for this
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boerne
I only have to do this when my inbound AA flight is late and I have to run to make my connection. Then it comes in handy.
No one here is saying it's against the policy. It's about having manners and being empathetic of fellow travelers. Also the analogy of priority lane at a bag check-in counter is not quite tenable since there is usually only one GA vs several counter agents. Not to mention priority check-in booths are often separated from the main cabin ones instead of being side-to-side.
Isn't that why AA put the priority lane in the first place though? Should we be empathetic and give them our MCE seats and upgrades?
Does it really matter that much if they have to wait exactly the same amount of time as if I had boarded when my group was called instead of waiting
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Absolutely use the priority lane.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Uzzar
Surprised this hasn't come up yet, but many times at PHL and sometimes CLT they close the rope on the priority line after group 4. The obvious impression is no one is allowed to use that line any more, although i haven't pressed my luck to see what they would do.
That's so the other groups don't try to use it, if you're in 1-4 you certainly can still use the lane, just open it up.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
My favorite story is when I happened to be waiting for group 1 to board (rare since I like to board last) and was wearing my usual flying garb - shirt, shorts and loafers. DYKWIA comes up to me, sees my attire and my age and tells me brusquely that the Y line is over there.

I say "my apologies" and move and decide that boarding early is still dumb and sit down. Board later and turns out, I'm in the window next to DYKWIA. He had to get up to let me in, while I had a .... eating grin pasted across my face.

complete silence from him for the rest of the flight.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by Antarius
My favorite story is when I happened to be waiting for group 1 to board (rare since I like to board last) and was wearing my usual flying garb - shirt, shorts and loafers. DYKWIA comes up to me, sees my attire and my age and tells me brusquely that the Y line is over there.

I say "my apologies" and move and decide that boarding early is still dumb and sit down. Board later and turns out, I'm in the window next to DYKWIA. He had to get up to let me in, while I had a .... eating grin pasted across my face.

complete silence from him for the rest of the flight.
may i ask how old u r

also i call bs on your story on multiple grounds. 1) no one could be that rude. 2) F seat legrooms are such that the aisle pax doesn't have to stand to let in the window seat pax. 3) even if 2) was false, the inherent nature of DYKWIA would have precluded him from standing up to let you in.

Last edited by flyinggum; Jul 14, 2019 at 6:51 pm
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
may i ask how old u r

also i call bs on your story on multiple grounds...2) F seat legrooms are such that the aisle pax doesn't have to stand to let in the window seat pax.
LOL. Have you even been on an AA domestic F flight? You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Why is this thread still open? It has no point...
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryan182
That's so the other groups don't try to use it, if you're in 1-4 you certainly can still use the lane, just open it up.
that's prob what the guy earlier somewhere in this thread who didn't even wait to be called on by the GA would have done. heck he may have simply jumped over it.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
may i ask how old u r

also i call bs on your story on multiple grounds. 1) no one could be that rude. 2) F seat legrooms are such that the aisle pax doesn't have to stand to let in the window seat pax. 3) even if 2) was false, the inherent nature of DYKWIA would have precluded him from standing up to let you in.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
AA allows use of the F cabin toilet by Y passengers on anything but international flights to the US.
robertablake, could you please provide us with a documented policy regarding this for verification?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I make sure to disembark using the priority lane also.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
may i ask how old u r

Umm, it was a few years ago.. guess i was 26 or so years old at the time? Regardless, old enough to not make stuff up on internet forums for no reason.

And clearly you havent been on a domestic F flight in forever. At 6' 2" I can guarantee no one can get by without me getting up.
nancypants and thunderlounge like this.

Last edited by Antarius; Jul 14, 2019 at 9:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.