Wiki Posts
Search

Flying AA Long Haul as BAEC Gold Card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Question Flying AA Long Haul as BAEC Gold Card

Not sure if this is a question for here or the AA thread, but I am due to fly out from LHR to DFW on an AA flight (not booked through BA or on a BA codeshare). I am in their equivalent of WTP, but the cabin is full - as a BA Gold member, do I stand any chance of an upgrade due to overbooking? Or will all AA reward members (regardless of status level) be preferred before me?

I am expecting to remain in the current cabin! Also - does anyone know how AA's WTP cabin compares to BA's?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
AA will upgrade it's own elites before anyone elses

Expect to remain in your existing seat.
TheBigRat likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
For upgrade priority, AA counts all AAdvantage members ahead of other people, including OWE.

This might lead to an OpUp or Downgrade thought, and not sure how AA prioritize this; but would check-in as close to T-24 as possible.
Departing from LHR EU261 applies, but not on the return.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given that an AA Gold (the lowest tier of AA elite) outranks a BA Prem for OpUp freebie UG's on AA, the chances during high season on that route are miniscule, particularly because the chances of any OpUps are slim in the first place.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
upgrades?, sorry, like others have said.. AA members first, but also understand that there may be a few no show passengers..
but having said that, I have been upgraded on BA as a AA EXP a few times form J to F.. maybe their were not enough BA golds traveling that day (LHR to BOM)
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be clear, AA will not provide free UG's to anyone on this flight other than for its own operational necessity. Thus, if there are F / J no shows, and neither PE nor Y are oversold at the gate, the seats will go out empty or to passengers with supported UG's.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
You do stand a chance, although I would say it's remote. The reason I say that is because my fiancée and I were both recently upgraded from PE to J on AA on a flight from LHR to LAX. We are both Gold and neither have status with AA. I have had a small number of upgrades with AA but with this one exception all have been short-haul flights.

AA will definitely prioritise its own FFP members ahead of any other OW frequent fliers and, to that extent, you can't even get on the upgrade list. That's not to say, however, that you won't be upgraded as a last resort due to operational issues on the day.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I have been upgraded once on AA,but never on BA since I've been gold
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The way it is:

AA Upgrades: A well-defined paid system (SWUs, miles+money, money) followed by a well-defined AA status-based system for domestic flights [1] or a vaguely status-correlated confusion for international flights.

BA Upgrades: A well-defined paid system (Avios, GUFs, AUPs, POUGs, etc) followed by very vaguely status-correlated and miserly benefaction for all flights.

On AA, as noted, you are below any AA status flyer and above any non-status passenger.

[1] Definitely the favourite topic on the AA forum, so head over there for more than you want to know and more harsh opinions and ranting entitlement than you need.
nancypants, Mordac and Mr P like this.

Last edited by flatlander; Jul 12, 2019 at 12:49 pm
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by Mr P
- does anyone know how AA's WTP cabin compares to BA's?
I have just flown 3 long haul sectors on AA and 1 on BA. As far as the seats are concerned, they are similar by way of width, recline etc. Major difference is leather vs cloth upholstery. AA bulkhead seats at window offered 2 windows and ability to get in and out without disturbing seat mate. Maybe BA is same but always fly last row aisle in WTP cabin on BA.
All AA PE seats have decent IFE as they have recently installed PE cabins. BA as you may know depending on aircraft can have IFE of historical interest. I find the selection of movies and TV more extensive on AA than BA. AA has WiFi on nearly all aircraft.
Food... similar, but AA offered a quite substantial second service meal. Not helping my waistline.
While I am BAEC Gold too, I try to book on AA aircraft over BA.
Hope this is helpful. Safe flights and enjoy.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by IntVic
I have just flown 3 long haul sectors on AA and 1 on BA. As far as the seats are concerned, they are similar by way of width, recline etc. Major difference is leather vs cloth upholstery. AA bulkhead seats at window offered 2 windows and ability to get in and out without disturbing seat mate. Maybe BA is same but always fly last row aisle in WTP cabin on BA.
All AA PE seats have decent IFE as they have recently installed PE cabins. BA as you may know depending on aircraft can have IFE of historical interest. I find the selection of movies and TV more extensive on AA than BA. AA has WiFi on nearly all aircraft.
Food... similar, but AA offered a quite substantial second service meal. Not helping my waistline.
While I am BAEC Gold too, I try to book on AA aircraft over BA.
Hope this is helpful. Safe flights and enjoy.
To add my 2p, I'd say that the old BA WTP seats are more comfortable than AA's, especially for sleeping. However, AA has better IFE--this isn't a huge consideration for me, as I prefer to bring my own IFE, which is normally reading, but I know some people value it highly.

I wasn't hugely impressed with the meals on AA: in particular, whenever I've flown their W product there was never any meat choices, which I found appalling! (They hadn't just ran out, it wasn't an option at all!) Can definitely second the recommendation of the window bulkhead seats on AA though. If both passengers are normal sized, you can get up while your seatmate stays in place.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BA GfL
I am BA gold, fly AA very frequently, and have been upgraded exactly once, due to overbooking. It was a MSY-PHL flight, a route that I fly about once a month. I think there are very few elites on that route, but even so, I expect nothing.
Mr P likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Is using Avios to upgrade premium economy to business class on AA an option?

I think BA WTP is more distinctive from economy/coach than the AA offering.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mordac
To add my 2p, I'd say that the old BA WTP seats are more comfortable than AA's, especially for sleeping. However, AA has better IFE--this isn't a huge consideration for me, as I prefer to bring my own IFE, which is normally reading, but I know some people value it highly.

I wasn't hugely impressed with the meals on AA: in particular, whenever I've flown their W product there was never any meat choices, which I found appalling! (They hadn't just ran out, it wasn't an option at all!) Can definitely second the recommendation of the window bulkhead seats on AA though. If both passengers are normal sized, you can get up while your seatmate stays in place.
AA always has one meat option and 1 vegetarian. Meals are from business class I believe but you only get 2 choices
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by gateH15

AA always has one meat option and 1 vegetarian. Meals are from business class I believe but you only get 2 choices
I don't consider fish to be meat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.