Wiki Posts
Search

Why is AA twice as expensive TATL?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Why is AA twice as expensive TATL?

In the process of booking a RT JFK-LHR flight in Biz in October or November - exact dates pending cost. When looking at flights I find the flights on BA to cost half as much as the ones booked with AA. Why this discrepency? - I would expect maybe a few $$ but $3105 versus $7465 to be somewhat extreme.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dwugson
In the process of booking a RT JFK-LHR flight in Biz in October or November - exact dates pending cost. When looking at flights I find the flights on BA to cost half as much as the ones booked with AA. Why this discrepency? - I would expect maybe a few $$ but $3105 versus $7465 to be somewhat extreme.
Are looking looking at the same flights on the same date? Codeshares?
Supply & demand and different fare buckets.
For 50% difference I would be booking a BA ticket
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

could be due to lack of I class availability on AA - AA has similar fares to BA listed
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Same flight timings (within a couple of hours) on same days. The AA flights cost more, the AA code shared with BA cost less as do the 'pure' BA marketed flights. Agree, either I book BA or else I book in economy and hope my status enables me to be upgraded. However, still find the cost differential crazy - for less than that I can fly to south africa and back in biz!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I just looked at JFK-LHR out 10/16, return 10/30 on aa.com
The first thing I noticed was the outbound showed First at a lower fare than Business on AA 100
But, the higher AA cost you see is simple to explain......... It's because all of the AA flights are listed as "Flagship"
If you are going to call it that, you have to charge more
Of course, BA has $1200 in "Carrier imposed fees", and they are still charging less than 1/2 of the AA price.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA has exactly the same carrier imposed fees of $1200
etiene likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The AA flights probably sold out of the lower fare buckets since it's a better business class seat, and/or better flight timing.

Or maybe it's Parker trying to "never lose money again" despite this new story
AA cancelled an industry-worst 7,500 flights this summer
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA and BA have exact same INX6A7S5 fare filings for $3122 roundtrip (matching DL/VS ZN1XU7D4 fares). There may be bucket availability issues from flight to flight, but AA certainly has I availability on numerous flights from what I see. Flights with similar timings is not the same things as exact same flights. How about an example? 60 day advance purchase and 7-day min stay along with day of departure restrictions below.

FROM THE UNITED STATES - PERMITTED MON THROUGH WED ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
TO THE UNITED STATES - PERMITTED TUE THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 10, 2019 at 4:58 pm
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
They shouldn’t be.....you have almost a 50/50 chance of actually getting there on time (or at all within a day of planned travel) if you fly AA
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
They shouldn’t be.....you have almost a 50/50 chance of actually getting there on time (or at all within a day of planned travel) if you fly AA
But at least you’ll be more comfortable in the AA seat!
dwugson likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:10 pm

AA needs to make more money to pay for all the compensation (600 Euro per passenger) for severely delayed flights from Europe according to EC251.
Add the required penalties for downgrades, denied boarding etc this can add up to a substantial amount for AA.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
AA needs to make more money to pay for all the compensation (600 Euro per passenger) for severely delayed flights from Europe according to EC251.
Add the required penalties for downgrades, denied boarding etc this can add up to a substantial amount for AA.
I'm booked to fly TXL-PHL-LGA on AA J next month, on miles of course. I'm already wondering how to spend my 600 EUR, though given my luck the flight on my day will probably operate on schedule.
Pittie Pup and ijgordon like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Have you tried to book an AA vacations package with those flights in business class? You may end up finding out that it can be a good way to save substantial money on business class travel too.
ijgordon and Air Houston like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Have you tried to book an AA vacations package with those flights in business class? You may end up finding out that it can be a good way to save substantial money on business class travel too.
Yes, the past few trips I've found it much cheaper to book my trip with one night in a hotel in London though I have booked through Expedia and not AA. However, the 'AA' flights offered are all BA codeshares with terrible seating etc. After my experience last week in BA Club world am trying to avoid BA if at all possible.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:35 am

It would be helpful, Dwugson, if you were willing to elaborate on what you feel was an apparently less-than-acceptable "experience" otherwise it is meaningless and not the least bit helpful to others, sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.