Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cancelled an industry-worst 7,500 flights this summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA cancelled an industry-worst 7,500 flights this summer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by jaymar01
American Airlines cancelled an industry-worst 7,500 flights due to a perfect storm of mishaps this summer.
AA Board: "OK, great, so it can't get any worse then."

Dougie: "Hold my beer..."

Last edited by Navig8R; Jul 10, 2019 at 6:26 pm
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, Marriott
American Airlines version of United's summer of hell....
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
From my understanding, these numbers have nothing to do with the MAX. Those flights were changed well in advanced. The cancellation numbers have to do solely with flights that were cancelled for other reasons (weather, mechanical, ATC, etc.)
And even if the MAX was included, it would still be a scapegoat and not a significant driver of cancellations or poor operational performance. Number of 7M8 airframes is a VERY small percentage of the total AA/Eagle fleet.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Southwest has had a really bad summer too. Boeing really messed this one up for both airlines.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
Southwest has had a really bad summer too. Boeing really messed this one up for both airlines.
I'm frankly surprised that AA managed to out-do WN in this category this summer, given that WN has 31 MAXes to AA's 22.
wrp96 and Traveler_boy_25 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Can't blame them for the weather, no. But can blame them for poor logistics in their recovery from the weather.
Agreed, especially since that same WSJ article quotes similar issues at UA.

A United spokesman says June had the highest number of weather and air-traffic control delays United has ever seen.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
The ATC failure at DFW didn't help either..............but it wasn't even mentioned.
That and the MAX issue are not the fault of AA
AA is the reason this POS aircraft even exists in the first place, so I would have trouble absolving AA from responsibility for that entirely. After all, they backed Boeing into a corner and basically forced them to produce it.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
(2) MX on the way back out of BCN, See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31282769-post25.html This was one of THREE MX's to happen ex-BCN within 24 hours!!!

(3) replacement section was 2.5 hours late.

(4) I had to flight with AA's phone agent, and escalate to a supervisor to get assigned MCE seats on the now two domestic legs (since AA could not route us with one stop as before and/or would not make space on PHL-SFO)

(5) had AA then take away those MCE seats on the PHL-DFW leg, and (a) had agent in BCN say they could not touch the reservation I would have to call, and (b) phone agent and supervisor say nothing they could do as I was checked in, I would have to ask in PHL. Only one person in the entire process was actually nice, and that agent at PHL was able to get us ONE extra leg room seat, which allowed by 6'6" son to not be in pain for 3.5 hours.

The service recovery positively sucked. And these were not inexpensive ($2200/ticket) PE tickets, not ultra discount Y.
Hope you at least claimed your EU compensation for the delay, since it was originally due to a mechanical in BCN and counts until they get you to your final destination, not first US stop.
Spiff and robofski like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by cmd320
AA is the reason this POS aircraft even exists in the first place
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by jfinsocal
but, knock-on effects are multiplicative. the 737-MAX cancellation rate is fixed, other cancellations are not.

737-MAX + mechanic dispute + parker's banked flight strategy = zero slack to accommodate delays
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I think the banking strategy is something that AA operationally just can't handle, even when the weather is good. Many sunny and beautiful days at MIA and people with a 45-60 minute connection (often to the only flight that night to SA) get screwed while the a/c sits off the tarmac waiting for a gate. Little do these people know they're not going anywhere until the next day and they will be spending either a sleepless night at MIA or have to scrounge for an expensive hotel room. Yes we know you should go for the longer connection but these are the unsuspecting people that think 30 minutes is more than enough time to deplane, go to the bathroom, get refreshments and make it to the gate for their connection.
wrp96 and enpremiere like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Herb687
And even if the MAX was included, it would still be a scapegoat and not a significant driver of cancellations or poor operational performance. Number of 7M8 airframes is a VERY small percentage of the total AA/Eagle fleet.
Yes but ... it is a material percentage of the mainline narrow body fleet and the busiest time of the year. With the max grounded on all airlines, it has really reduced domestic capacity and part of why prices are so high now.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: AA Gold
Another huge night of storms, delays, and cancellations at DFW... Thank God I wasn’t traveling.

Most of Dallas, Plano, and Frisco was unaffected in comparison, but man, those clouds were dark to the west.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I think the banking strategy is something that AA operationally just can't handle, even when the weather is good. Many sunny and beautiful days at MIA and people with a 45-60 minute connection (often to the only flight that night to SA) get screwed while the a/c sits off the tarmac waiting for a gate. Little do these people know they're not going anywhere until the next day and they will be spending either a sleepless night at MIA or have to scrounge for an expensive hotel room. Yes we know you should go for the longer connection but these are the unsuspecting people that think 30 minutes is more than enough time to deplane, go to the bathroom, get refreshments and make it to the gate for their connection.
AA placed me in this situation when rescheduling my cancelled flights - at least as a frequent traveller I was aware that 50 mins was totally inadequate to make my international connection in MIA and I was able to reschedule. However, many people assume that if AA has rebooked them with a tight connection that connection is guaranteed.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hmm, summer only started 2.5 weeks ago.
In airline world, summer starts on March 23rd, or the first day of spring. That's why they have only 2 seasons: Summer - March to October and Winter October to March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.