Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cancelled an industry-worst 7,500 flights this summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

American Airlines cancelled an industry-worst 7,500 flights due to a perfect storm of mishaps this summer

- American Airlines has had a higher rate of cancelled flights this summer than other US airlines, according to a new report.

- The airline has been badly affected by severe weather, the ongoing grounding of the Boeing 737 Max, and mechanical issues forcing it to take aircraft out of service.

- The airline alleges that unions representing its mechanics have illegally organized a work slowdown as contract negotiations continue.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...irlines-2019-7
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Finally, they’re no. one again in something.
BearX220, steve64, Spiff and 25 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
Finally, they’re no. one again in something.
All it needs is an extra letter N

NOTE TO ALL :This is intended as a play on the words on the hat and is not a political statement, pro or anti, in any way.
LINDEGR, spin88, arollins and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
All it needs is an extra letter N
??
Attached Images  
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
So how do Parker and Isom still have jobs? LOL
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, summer only started 2.5 weeks ago.
AANYC1981 and Traveler_boy_25 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:39 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Also an article in todays WSJ
​​​​​​https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-night...d=hp_lead_pos8
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
The union is one aspect, however American can't be blamed for the 737 Max fiasco which has had a major effect on cancellations. Although several of my flights have been cancelled or switched I must say the AA reps have gone out of their way to help out with alternative flights and routing. I wish we had the same rules as in Europe with the EC261 - at least that would make the airlines responsible for taking proper care of you, including food and accomodation, when flights get delayed or cancelled.
PACLipper likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
The ATC failure at DFW didn't help either..............but it wasn't even mentioned.
That and the MAX issue are not the fault of AA
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hmm, summer only started 2.5 weeks ago.
I think the article started it on June 1
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jaymar01
American Airlines cancelled an industry-worst 7,500 flights due to a perfect storm of mishaps this summer

- American Airlines has had a higher rate of cancelled flights this summer than other US airlines, according to a new report.

- The airline has been badly affected by severe weather, the ongoing grounding of the Boeing 737 Max, and mechanical issues forcing it to take aircraft out of service.

- The airline alleges that unions representing its mechanics have illegally organized a work slowdown as contract negotiations continue.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...irlines-2019-7
Nice of them to blame the mechanics who are working no slower than American's contract negotiators.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
From my understanding, these numbers have nothing to do with the MAX. Those flights were changed well in advanced. The cancellation numbers have to do solely with flights that were cancelled for other reasons (weather, mechanical, ATC, etc.)
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
I think the article started it on June 1
Ah, I see that the WSJ article specifics 7,500 flights cancelled "in June." I thought 7,500 flights in 2.5 weeks was near impossible, but that many cancellations in a month is pretty horrendous itself!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Can't blame them for the weather, no. But can blame them for poor logistics in their recovery from the weather. Every time a storm hits DFW, AA seems to take 3 days to recover the ability to get planes and entire crew sets showing up at the same place at the same time to get flights off the ground.
wrp96 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by dwugson
The union is one aspect, however American can't be blamed for the 737 Max fiasco which has had a major effect on cancellations. Although several of my flights have been cancelled or switched I must say the AA reps have gone out of their way to help out with alternative flights and routing. I wish we had the same rules as in Europe with the EC261 - at least that would make the airlines responsible for taking proper care of you, including food and accomodation, when flights get delayed or cancelled.
They already took the MAX out of the scheduled in June, so not sure that that counts. Having just gotten out of SFO on our trip back from BCN at 1 am on Wednesday 7/10 (with an additional 20 minutes holding for a gate at midnight, and then 40 minutes waiting for the bags they lost, before getting the notification of lost bags, which they could have sent when they did not load them on the PLANE!!!! GRRRRR) when we were originally scheduled to get back to SFO at 10 pm on Monday 7/8, I can say from my one and only experience that AA's "service recovery" sucks. Hard to believe, but UA makes them look good.

(1) flight out from OAK to DFW was cancelled (likely MAX related) day before. They booked us not out of SFO (we live in San Francisco) but out of SJC, an hour and a half drive at that time from our address, and then to only have a 32 minute connection to an international flight at DFW. When I called the agent insisted that was all they had. I told the agent that they had space, and told them the MCE seats we would be placed into on the SFO-DFW option. Having insisted SJC was the "only" option, the agent got off, came back on, and booked us on SFO-DFW. Really bad customer service, trying to rebook only onto lesser demand flights with unworkable reroutings.

(2) MX on the way back out of BCN, See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31282769-post25.html This was one of THREE MX's to happen ex-BCN within 24 hours!!!

(3) replacement section was 2.5 hours late.

(4) I had to flight with AA's phone agent, and escalate to a supervisor to get assigned MCE seats on the now two domestic legs (since AA could not route us with one stop as before and/or would not make space on PHL-SFO)

(5) had AA then take away those MCE seats on the PHL-DFW leg, and (a) had agent in BCN say they could not touch the reservation I would have to call, and (b) phone agent and supervisor say nothing they could do as I was checked in, I would have to ask in PHL. Only one person in the entire process was actually nice, and that agent at PHL was able to get us ONE extra leg room seat, which allowed by 6'6" son to not be in pain for 3.5 hours.

The service recovery positively sucked. And these were not inexpensive ($2200/ticket) PE tickets, not ultra discount Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.