Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rebooking after schedule change - how much leeway to expect

Old Jul 8, 19, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Iím due to travel SFO-JFK-CUN soon. Thereíve been a series of schedule changes (i assume related to the 737 Max issues) with the latest leaving me a 44 min connecting at JFK, which seems to be less than the MCT for domestic to international.

I want to keep my JFK connection (since itís a lie flat red eye and is useful extra mileage) but it now means Iíll end up having an illegal connection.

How much leeway should I expect from AA when it comes to changing? I donít want to reroute via PHX/DFW, but would be open to doing SFO-JFK-MIA-CUN or even changing the date of my JFK-CUN segment.

Iím just trying to understand my likely options before I get into a fruitless loop of HUCA:

1) Breaking itinerary up to change the dates of JFK-CUN to push out a few weeks
2) routing SFO-JFK-MIA-CUN

Any ideas?
Old Jul 8, 19, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by absoluy View Post
Iím due to travel SFO-JFK-CUN soon. Thereíve been a series of schedule changes (i assume related to the 737 Max issues) with the latest leaving me a 44 min connecting at JFK, which seems to be less than the MCT for domestic to international.

I want to keep my JFK connection (since itís a lie flat red eye and is useful extra mileage) but it now means Iíll end up having an illegal connection.

How much leeway should I expect from AA when it comes to changing? I donít want to reroute via PHX/DFW, but would be open to doing SFO-JFK-MIA-CUN or even changing the date of my JFK-CUN segment.

Iím just trying to understand my likely options before I get into a fruitless loop of HUCA:

1) Breaking itinerary up to change the dates of JFK-CUN to push out a few weeks
2) routing SFO-JFK-MIA-CUN

Any ideas?
If a schedule change causes MCT to be violated, you should expect a fair amount of leeway in rebooking onto a later or earlier flight. See AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund (consolidated)

I'm sure this is a TP run and if you need the miles, sure, but this routing is a bit ridiculous. And adding a stop in Miami ...
Old Jul 8, 19, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by potus18 View Post
I'm sure this is a TP run and if you need the miles, sure, but this routing is a bit ridiculous. And adding a stop in Miami ...
Itís actually just a TP (and red eye comfort) optimized trip where i needed to get to CUN and was working out pretty well until the schedule changes!
Old Jul 8, 19, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The standard D-I MCT for AA at JFK looks to be 40 mins, so you're still above that and have a legal connection. How long was your connecting time before?

Personally I would just stick with it, the redeyes generally have a good chance to arrive on time if not a bit early.
Old Jul 8, 19, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
The standard D-I MCT for AA at JFK looks to be 40 mins, so you're still above that and have a legal connection. How long was your connecting time before?

Personally I would just stick with it, the redeyes generally have a good chance to arrive on time if not a bit early.
Ah - youíre right, I got mixed up on the times. The connection time now is 38 minutes, when I first booked It was 2hr 15mins.
Old Jul 8, 19, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Could OP just reroute to fastest and claim ORC?
Old Jul 8, 19, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
I think that only works when crediting to AA (Iím crediting to BA).
Old Jul 9, 19, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue Peon, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
I think that only works when crediting to AA (Iím crediting to BA).
Also [I think] for IRROPs rather than pre-arranged reroutes.
Old Jul 9, 19, 5:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Ah - youíre right, I got mixed up on the times. The connection time now is 38 minutes, when I first booked It was 2hr 15mins.
If you have 38 mins, below MCT, then it will be no problem to call AA and ask for something else. Otherwise if you let it go AA's computers will catch it at some point down the line and auto rebook you, most likely to something less desirable like SFO-DFW-CUN, etc.

If you want to keep the SFO-JFK segment, just tell AA that when you call, and ask specifically for whatever new JFK-MIA-CUN flights work the best (or via CLT, etc.). Do your homework before you call and feed the agent the exact flights you want, don't leave it up to the agent to do the research.