Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA FAs tell doctor her clothing is offensive, must cover self with blanket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FAs tell doctor her clothing is offensive, must cover self with blanket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by chollie
That's offensive, particularly coming from someone who hasn't posted a picture of his/her backside for comparison.
create a thread on OMNI PR for my full candid response
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I stay away from the passengers title simply because Dr. Dao from United's fiasco a few years back was unlicensed after his practice credentials were revoked. It has nothing to do with his treatment by the Chicago Aviation PD but paraded all over the article by who knows who?
BTW - Dr Phil isn't a licensed Dr. He qualified if he passed education requirements but he can't practice legally so it is all relative and insignificant as my Ph.D friends are also Dr.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Fat shaming again? Whether she’s petite, tall, skinny or chubby, there was nothing wrong with her outfit.
What do you mean fat shaming? If the person was skinny and I called her a skinny person would you say I"m thin bashing? She's a COS/POS whatever you want to call it. Just being accurate in my description.

Also I never said what she was wearing was offensive.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Well I say she's not dressed any differently than many other paxs you see on flights. But again if she boarded a flight 40 years ago she'd get plenty of stares.
We don't know if that is how she looked in it on the flight.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
There was nothing wrong with her outfit. I fly several times a month and have been with AA since the merger and I routinely see clothing choices that are extreme in lounges and on planes that pass the “appropriate” test.

And this woman is not a POS and the fat shaming here is 1000 times more offensive than her outfit.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Do you think the FA would have reacted the same way if Ivanka Trump had been wearing that outfit? Because I don't.

I'd really like to have seen footage of the gate areas on the day she traveled. I'd like to see what other pax typically wear.

<snipped'>.
We don't have footage of how she wore it when she was getting on the plane. We have photos of what she said she wore.
I remember an event where there was a clothing issue on an airline and the pictures taken by the passenger did not seem to match the other pictures taken of that passenger.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:32 am

Listen, I like a little fun and levity in the threads as much as anybody. But the repeated focus on the Victim - (and make no mistake, she was clearly a VICTIM of an American Airlines Flight Attendant on a power-trip) - specifically the continuing demeaning jokes of her body size and type - instead of on the behavior of the Flight Attendant - is misplaced.

Granted, it'll likely never be publicly disclosed what if any steps AA takes specifically in regard to the Flight Attendant(s?) in this case. We've all seen what people wear on vacation flights, as evidenced by the posts here. It's hard for me to fathom this action was somehow a well meaning - albeit wrong - professional judgement call by the FA. She clearly had a chip on her shoulder about something, an ax to grind, or simply woke up on the wrong side of the bed and wanted to lord her power over someone she thought she could pick on when they boarded the flight, demean, and puff herself up a bit an inflate her own self-importance. I actually think the FA wanted this poor woman to feel terrible, cry, and beg. Very disquieting a FA has this type of power and would be allowed to exercise it unilaterally and without impunity.

AA needs to address this with more than the refunded flight and an apology of sorts from an airline rep. The traveling public needs to be assured they won't be subjected to random abuse and humiliation by Flight Attendants. Or worry some random thing about them won't set a FA off and they could be denied boarding on their flights.

AA reads these threads. If the overwhelming response from posters is to joke about the "fat lady", instead of the FAs behavior and tolerance there of, why should AA take the incident more seriously?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mvoight
We don't have footage of how she wore it when she was getting on the plane. We have photos of what she said she wore.
I remember an event where there was a clothing issue on an airline and the pictures taken by the passenger did not seem to match the other pictures taken of that passenger.
I suspect AA heard from more than just the pax and the FA, and the fact that her ticket was refunded so quickly suggests to me that they know their FA was wrong. Furthermore, I think their investigation confirmed the pax's account that she was polite throughout, even when the FA was clearly trying to provoke her - otherwise AA would have taken the position that the pax's clothing was borderline but her attitude got her kicked off.

Great parenting, demonstrating to your offspring the proper way to handle a situation like this. ^

Do you really think she boarded with her breasts and buttocks exposed? Seriously?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Listen, I like a little fun and levity in the threads as much as anybody. But the repeated focus on the Victim - (and make no mistake, she was clearly a VICTIM of an American Airlines Flight Attendant on a power-trip) - specifically the continuing demeaning jokes of her body size and type - instead of on the behavior of the Flight Attendant - is misplaced.

Granted, it'll likely never be publicly disclosed what if any steps AA takes specifically in regard to the Flight Attendant(s?) in this case. We've all seen what people wear on vacation flights, as evidenced by the posts here. It's hard for me to fathom this action was somehow a well meaning - albeit wrong - professional judgement call by the FA. She clearly had a chip on her shoulder about something, an ax to grind, or simply woke up on the wrong side of the bed and wanted to lord her power over someone she thought she could pick on when they boarded the flight, demean, and puff herself up a bit an inflate her own self-importance. I actually think the FA wanted this poor woman to feel terrible, cry, and beg. Very disquieting a FA has this type of power and would be allowed to exercise it unilaterally and without impunity.

AA needs to address this with more than the refunded flight and an apology of sorts from an airline rep. The traveling public needs to be assured they won't be subjected to random abuse and humiliation by Flight Attendants. Or worry some random thing about them won't set a FA off and they could be denied boarding on their flights.

AA reads these threads. If the overwhelming response from posters is to joke about the "fat lady", instead of the FAs behavior and tolerance there of, why should AA take the incident more seriously?
Or perhaps, passengers should consider how they dress and act in public, which has nothing to do with size or race.

That being said, I'm on a flight heading to the Midwest. There are a lot of scantily clad folks of all races and sizes with lots of tattoos on this flight so they didn't get the message. There's no one here in F/J wearing a suit but some normal shorts and t-shirts in the back wouldn't hurt anyone.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I suspect AA heard from more than just the pax and the FA, and the fact that her ticket was refunded so quickly suggests to me that they know their FA was wrong. Furthermore, I think their investigation confirmed the pax's account that she was polite throughout, even when the FA was clearly trying to provoke her - otherwise AA would have taken the position that the pax's clothing was borderline but her attitude got her kicked off.
This is all speculation on your part.
Sometimes it is easier for AA (or any airline) to issue a refund or give you a few miles than going through a (pointless) investigation.

Do you really think she boarded with her breasts and buttocks exposed? Seriously?
Your imagination tells you no.
Mine tells me that, no, she probably did not board with her breasts exposed. But I think it is possible that her breasts popped out a few times.

This is just a one sided story and some AA PR actions.
We'll never know what really happened.
Only that she took this picture after landing.

Offtopic: That MIA restroom looks gross. Happy to avoid MIA anytime
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
There was a time when people dressed for air travel the way they currently (generally) dress for dining at a 4-star restaurant. Of course, the planes and service were very different in coach back then.

Now the coach experience is more akin to McDonald's Drive-Thru and sometimes the service doesn't even rise to that level. Hardly surprising if people dress accordingly.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Wow. Pretty outrageous episode on behalf of AA. Passenger gets a lot of credit for speaking out. Need to shine a light on these discriminatory practices.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
There was a time when people dressed for air travel the way they currently (generally) dress for dining at a 4-star restaurant. Of course, the planes and service were very different in coach back then.

Now the coach experience is more akin to McDonald's Drive-Thru and sometimes the service doesn't even rise to that level. Hardly surprising if people dress accordingly.
Not to veer too much off topic but I still, after three decades of being a road warrior, dress in business attire on most flights and wearing jeans and a polo shirt is about as casual as I get the rest of the time. And usually on my domestic Transcons, the F cabin has mostly business or business casual dressers, especially on early morning weekday flights.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

If you have a message for the moderators, either report a post or send a PM. DO NOT put this in your post. Any posts containing actions for moderators have/will be deleted.
https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules...deratoractions

Discussion of Moderator Actions

Moderators value your private views and feedback related to their actions and duties. You may submit appropriate feedback to moderators by private message or e-mail. Do not post comments about moderator decisions or actions, or about the work of moderators, unless a moderator has invited members to post feedback in a particular thread. Any concerns about the actions of a moderator should be directed exclusively and privately to the [email protected].

Also, we are seeing some posts turning this into a weight-issues thread.

This is the AA forum on FlyerTalk. Keep the discussion as to flying on AA, and how it impacts earning/burning miles. This could include appropriate or inappropriate clothing (within a narrow margin). There are multiple threads in Omni-PR for discussion of weight issues.

Further posts which deviate will be deleted, with possible disciplinary actions issued to those who post.

~Moderator
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Your entire post was well said, cmtlatitudes! But I've quoted a particular section that I wanted to reply to, and that's the public assurance. Depending on airline and equipment, I sometimes qualify as a COS. I used to steer as far away from Southwest as possible because for a while they had a bunch of bad press when they were requiring passengers (at the GA/FA discretion) to prove their size if two seats had not been purchased. Now that WN has changed the COS policy to be the most generous out there (free second seat, and pre-boarding since seating is open), I have flown with them far more often, almost to the point I'd use the term "regularly". But it's because I no longer have to worry about some GA challenging me in a public venue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.