Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA FAs tell doctor her clothing is offensive, must cover self with blanket

AA FAs tell doctor her clothing is offensive, must cover self with blanket

Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: BA, KLM, Alitalia
Originally Posted by Tizzette
I wish nobody would wear such tight, revealing clothes on a plane. In a public place and close quarters like a plane, people ought to have enough self respect to dress modestly. You ought not dress to show off your boobs and your butt bursting out of your clothes to the general public. Yuck. But since the airlines do not enforce modest clothing with any consistency, they cant get away with targeting this lady in particular.
Define modest? I find it always scary when judgmental people demand others to dress 'modest'...especially connecting to it self respect..
oopsz and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
African-american, but the news doesn't tell people that because it doesn't make a good race-baiting story.
Just a clarification for you (due to the same opinion of our VPOTUS). If/when race card is surfaced in some situations the race of the person in power can/is irrelevant or can be the same as the victim. As if the person in power implements policy to one group of people and doesn't apply the same policy uniform across all = discrimination.
E.g. If a Latino police officer pulls over motorist and only request citizenship paperwork from Latino drivers and no other driver. That is discrimination against the Latino, as illegal/overstayed expired visa may include Canadians, Europeans, S.Americans, Caribbean, Indian, etc. I digress from original topic but attempting to make a point - as many stories don't highlight and obvious (if applicable) because of opinions like yours.
In this example if the FA decided the outfit is too revealing/inappropriate only for this passenger and no other factors (ie. drunkness, too obese for economy chair, acting erratic, etc.) there may be a race factor involved especially if any other passengers on the plane had on a similar outfit (I wasn't there but would assume as much as I fly and America simply wears inappropriate clothing).

Kudos to the impacted passengers as hindsight 20/20 she probably could've/would've had more bite into AA PR if she was ejected from flight, refused to wear cover up towel and stranded in Jamaica due to an outfit which no one on this thread felt was illegal towards TOCs. Maybe AA needs to publish a guide on its website of appropriate attire (with sample pictures) for the cabin similar to restaurants or bars/clubs with dress policies.

Last edited by RooseveltL; Jul 9, 2019 at 6:12 am
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I guess you don't understand the meaning of minutiae, figuratively or literally.
And it is as relevant as the title, which mentioned she is a doctor. Is that relevant? Would this be news if she weren't?
Yes. It would be news if the title were "AA FAs tell mother her clothing is offensive, must cover self with blanket"
While the title mentions her profession, this is not a story about how her profession should inform her to make better health choices. Posting a comment that a "real" doctor would know better than to be overweight seems like an attempt to delegitimize this person by speculating on peripheral elements of the story to cast doubt on her qualifications.
For what it's worth, real doctors can be obese:
https://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6464
Real doctors can also be depressed, stressed, smokers who don't get enough sleep. You might say that they ought to know better than to live their lives like that ... but if you obsess about those things in the context of a story about them being thrown off a plane for wearing inappropriate clothes, you're seeking to distract people with trivial details (minutiae).
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
We don't know the race or ethnicity of the FA so one cannot infer this was race related. As it's been pointed out how we see the woman dressed in the picture may be different from the way she was dressed in flight. I'm sure I'm showing my age, near 60, but today it seems anything goes anywhere when it comes to attire, including the ACs, FLs, and premium cabins. However, I certainly don't want to go back to the days of suits and ties and dresses. Moreover, I don't think that AA can do anymore than have general comments in regards to appropriate attire on flights. Anything else more gets too far into the weeds.

Years back when I first joined the AC there were some dress standards (no tank tops, flip flops, short shorts) but even that seems to have gone by the wayside.
RooseveltL and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Maybe I missed this somewhere in the previous 50 notes. Does anyone believe that the PAX is completely blameless? I'll wager that a certain amount of DYKWIA attitude was involved early on.
RooseveltL and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Maybe I missed this somewhere in the previous 50 notes. Does anyone believe that the PAX is completely blameless? I'll wager that a certain amount of DYKWIA attitude was involved early on.
I certainly dont and there are at least 3 sides to every story.

After skimming through that individuals other tweets, all I can think is: physician, heal thyself.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Jul 9, 2019 at 7:10 am
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
The outfit seems to be going right up to the line IMO, and I could see an FA asking her to cover her nipples-up area, especially if she tended to "fall out" when seated.

It's one of those one-off things where everyone could have done better - the FA could have handled the cover-up request better; the pax could have done a better job thinking about how the outfit would work on a plane flight. Looks like she got her travel refunded, so it's kind of a nothingburger at this point. <shrugs>

It does bring up a fun thought exercise: If a male arrived with a strapless tight "shirt" on, with 100% nakedness from the top of the head to the top of the nipples...would it make a difference to anyone here?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never heard of the term POS (person of size). The doctor looks perfectly normal for someone traveling in the summer from Jamaica to Houston.

The article mentions previous instances of "flying while fat & Black", another term I have never heard of.
oopsz and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by s0ssos
If she's a real doctor shouldn't she understand obesity is bad?
You seem to be making the mistaken mental conclusion that knowledge = action. We - collectively the human race - know that eating more calories than what we burn leads to weight gain, but yet a large portion of the adult population is overweight.

You seem to make the argument that just because someone is an expert in a field that that will translate into perfect adherence to all tenets of that field. Again your assumption and assertion would be false.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by abk
I fly out of DR quite ofter and that outfit is pretty much par for the course. The more interesting thing to know (which we never will) is how many other incidents this FA has had and whether the Captain was informed and got involved or choose not to.
edited to add: The apology being quoted on one of the blogs is pretty much a complete admission of racial bias.
The apology, and refund, appear fitting.

I pity those who think race is some sort of "card" to be played when advantageous, and not a state of being that people deal with on a daily basis.
LINDEGR, richarddd, SamOF and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I don't see anything wrong with how much leg she is showing.

Actually it seems that there could be an issue with the top of her outfit. Seems like it could easily slide down and expose her breasts too much. Probably inappropriately.

I would understand if the FA saw her boops out and called her outside to ask her to cover them with a blanket.

But the pax says she was asked to cover her legs. That does not make any sense to me.. Perhaps she is not being 100% truthful?

I also thought she might be on a non rev ticket. And non rev dress code is a whole different story . That outfit definitely seems not to be in accordance to non rev dress code.

but the article says she was refunded for her ticket. So seems like it was not a non rev dress code issue.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
We don't know the race or ethnicity of the FA so one cannot infer this was race related.
That's a total non-sequitur. To id discrimination, you look at the race of the victim. Minority groups can and often do perpetuate racism/sexism/homophobia against their own. Think a black police officer getting freaked out by an unarmed, harmless black man and killing him. Or Aaron Schock.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by SamOF
That's a total non-sequitur. To id discrimination, you look at the race of the victim. Minority groups can and often do perpetuate racism/sexism/homophobia against their own. Think a black police officer getting freaked out by an unarmed, harmless black man and killing him. Or Aaron Schock.
And in other case, people who have interactions with authority tend to shift blame away from their own actions.

If one gets pulled over for rolling through a stop sign or driving too fast, they tend to blame the cop for picking on them. Minority group status often has nothing to do with it, but just becomes another way of avoiding personal responsibility.

Here a black FA thought the pax was dressed inappropriately, and there isn't the slightest evidence race was involved. Considering this was a flight from Jamaica, the majority of passengers on the flight may have been black. Yet, there is an allegation that race is involved which leads the airline to try to minimize adverse publicity even though the FA's actions may have been totally appropriate. I presume you'd agree it is inappropriate to randomly claim discrimination to gain some advantage.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
The outfit seems to be going right up to the line IMO, and I could see an FA asking her to cover her nipples-up area, especially if she tended to "fall out" when seated.

It's one of those one-off things where everyone could have done better - the FA could have handled the cover-up request better; the pax could have done a better job thinking about how the outfit would work on a plane flight. Looks like she got her travel refunded, so it's kind of a nothingburger at this point. <shrugs>

It does bring up a fun thought exercise: If a male arrived with a strapless tight "shirt" on, with 100% nakedness from the top of the head to the top of the nipples...would it make a difference to anyone here?
Do you think the FA would have reacted the same way if Ivanka Trump had been wearing that outfit? Because I don't.

I'd really like to have seen footage of the gate areas on the day she traveled. I'd like to see what other pax typically wear.

If this was a spandex body suit, neck to toe, wrist to ankles, I suspect some people would manage to find it offensive.

I think the FA had a chip on her shoulder for some reason, and I think she tried to provoke a reaction. This was one woman boarding a plane. Many of the pax will be busy stowing bags and situating themselves and will never notice her when she walks by their seat. Most of the flight, she will be seated. There's limited visibility deplaning because you generally can't see more than three or four pax ahead. The FA's attitude and choosing to make a big deal of it probably resulted in twice as many people seeing the outfit and studying it and trying to understand what the FA's issue was. Her attitude probably caused more than one pax to furtively look down and check their own clothing.

I'd sit next to this doctor in her outfit any day of the week. I hope to heck I never have that FA on any flight. I'd much rather sit next to her than a businessperson twice her size in 'proper business attire'.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with what this woman is wearing. She’s coming from Jamaica, for crying out loud. Does this clown show of an airline literally have nothing else better to do?? I’d go DYKWIA too!

I saw a woman prancing around the J cabin in Daisy Dukes just last week. Nobody batted an eye. Maybe I should have?

2019 and this kinda crap is still happening.
rickg523 and IndyHoosier like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.