Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA FAs tell doctor her clothing is offensive, must cover self with blanket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FAs tell doctor her clothing is offensive, must cover self with blanket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Well I say she's not dressed any differently than many other paxs you see on flights. But again if she boarded a flight 40 years ago she'd get plenty of stares.
There's an old episode of The Andy Griffith Show where Aunt Bee goes on vacation to Mexico. Andy and Opie drive her to the airport. The guys aren't flying anywhere, but they wear suits just to see someone off at the airport.

I assume this would have been RDU. I'm not sure if the fictional Mount Pilot was supposed to have an airport.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA is at fault in this incident and should apologize quickly if not now before it gets worse.
moondog, RooseveltL and jgor like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Is her argument that because she’s a POS she’s being discriminated against vs slim women who look good in such revealing clothes?
I don't think she even needs an argument, I think it's absurd that flight attendants are wasting their time, and the time of passengers, with this sort of garbage behavior.
moondog, wrp96 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:42 pm

I wish nobody would wear such tight, revealing clothes on a plane. In a public place and close quarters like a plane, people ought to have enough self respect to dress modestly. You ought not dress to show off your boobs and your butt bursting out of your clothes to the general public. Yuck. But since the airlines do not enforce modest clothing with any consistency, they can’t get away with targeting this lady in particular.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
AA is at fault in this incident and should apologize quickly if not now before it gets worse.
Already apologized and refunded her trip. It's all in the article if you read it...
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Already apologized and refunded her trip. It's all in the article if you read it...
Definitely some damage control going on. Just blows my mind (actually, it doesn't) that an FA decided to stick her nose into that business and decided to be the fashion police. Do I think that outfit is flattering on her? No. I do think she is a bit too old to be sporting a romper or whatever they call those, but I don't particularly care for them even if a 24 year old is wearing one. I would call it unflattering, but not inappropriate. I do predict some lawyering-up by the lady, followed by an out of court settlement with undisclosed terms. I was just saying the other day how Starbucks can't get out of their own way when it comes to PR messes. Airlines are right there with them!!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:14 pm

I’m guessing there was probably too much to see when she was seated.
GrumpyYoungMan and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by JetAway
That was my take. It's got nowhere to go when she's standing. Sitting is only going to make it worse.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Walk through MIA or FLL on any day of the week and you will see much, much worse.

Unbelievable that the FAs had an issue with her. And, interestingly, according to the article, it was the lower half that was the problem, not the top. So why ask for a jacket in the first place?
rollthere and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
While POS may be used in the airline industry in some areas, it is a really extremely unfortunate choice, and quite frankly a stupid choice IMO. She is not a person of size, in my expert opinion, looking at the pictures. And yes I am an expert. Fashion choice, not so much, but her call and AA was wrong. However, the use of POS "piece of s*&%" to describe anyone has a much longer history than "person of size". Should we agree to beat on people who use POS to stop using it and use instead what Southwest has come up with as "COS", customer of size....

According to the Urban dictionary, see below and person of size is not even mentioned.

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...index-pol.html

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=POS

flame away.....
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by boerne
While POS may be used in the airline industry in some areas, it is a really extremely unfortunate choice, and quite frankly a stupid choice IMO. She is not a person of size, in my expert opinion, looking at the pictures. And yes I am an expert. Fashion choice, not so much, but her call and AA was wrong. However, the use of POS "piece of s*&%" to describe anyone has a much longer history than "person of size". Should we agree to beat on people who use POS to stop using it and use instead what Southwest has come up with as "COS", customer of size....
Get over yourself. Not a single person is calling her a piece of ****, you are projecting that definition yourself. POS is a perfectly appropriate and legitimate term, it only has the unfortunate coincidence to be the same abbreviation for the other 3 words. You are making something out of nothing, and it is a legitimate problem in modern society, where people get more worked up about word choice than about the actual subject of the conversation. Don't add to it.

I guess I should also stop calling my friend Richard, Dick, just because it also is the slang for male genitalia.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:34 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I fly out of DR quite ofter and that outfit is pretty much par for the course. The more interesting thing to know (which we never will) is how many other incidents this FA has had and whether the Captain was informed and got involved or choose not to.
edited to add: The apology being quoted on one of the blogs is pretty much a complete admission of racial bias.
ChaseTheMiles likes this.

Last edited by abk; Jul 8, 2019 at 6:43 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Tizzette
I wish nobody would wear such tight, revealing clothes on a plane. In a public place and close quarters like a plane, people ought to have enough self respect to dress modestly. You ought not dress to show off your boobs and your butt bursting out of your clothes to the general public. Yuck. But since the airlines do not enforce modest clothing with any consistency, they can’t get away with targeting this lady in particular.
I'm personally not a fan of people dressing like they should be swinging around a pole but where do you draw the line at what is offensive? Personally, I find a number of things offensive that others do not. I'm sure there are things that others find offensive that I do not. Quite honestly, if you don't like something then look away.

Honestly, I'm not surprised that this happened on AA. With their service excellence dropping faster than a depressurized airplane there is not much AA does any more that shocks me.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by JetAway
The bottom of the outfit is shorts, so you aren't going to see any more when she sits down than when she stands up.

No plumber's crack, and personally, I find that much more offensive. I've never seen an FA ask a guy with droopy jeans and plumber's crack to wear a blanket, but I wish they would.
GUWonder, narvik, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Walk through MIA or FLL on any day of the week and you will see much, much worse.

Unbelievable that the FAs had an issue with her. And, interestingly, according to the article, it was the lower half that was the problem, not the top. So why ask for a jacket in the first place?
So she could tie it around her waist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.