Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA FAs tell doctor her clothing is offensive, must cover self with blanket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

American Airlines made a doctor wrap a blanket around herself because a flight attendant found her summer outfit 'inappropriate'

- A Houston-area doctor said she was forced to get off her American Airlines flight after boarding and wrap an airline blanket around her waist before being allowed back on.

- She said a flight attendant told her that her outfit was unacceptable; however, she tweeted photos showing that the outfit was appropriate.

- American Airlines prohibits "offensive clothing," but otherwise does not publish a dress code for flights.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...oarding-2019-7
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Is her argument that because she’s a POS she’s being discriminated against vs slim women who look good in such revealing clothes?
RoyalFlush and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by enviroian
because she’s a POS
I snickered when I saw this, but then looked at the photo. Not in any way either inappropriate, nor is the women 300 lbs. While I agree that someone who is a true POS should probably skip certain outfits, she is nowhere close. Perhaps some readjustment of what the average American looks like is in order....
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
They must have been out of extra medium. I'm not sure what bearing being a doctor has on questionable fashion choices.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
I snickered when I saw this, but then looked at the photo. Not in any way either inappropriate, nor is the women 300 lbs. While I agree that someone who is a true POS should probably skip certain outfits, she is nowhere close. Perhaps some readjustment of what the average American looks like is in order....
I never said what she was wearing is inappropriate but she certainly is a POS.

It's like the women who choose "average" or "curvy" on match.com. They are all humongous. But back on track here I think she is upset because if she was thin the flight attendant perhaps wouldn't say anything.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:04 pm

If she's a real doctor shouldn't she understand obesity is bad?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I never said what she was wearing is inappropriate but she certainly is a POS.

It's like the women who choose "average" or "curvy" on match.com. They are all humongous. But back on track here I think she is upset because if she was thin the flight attendant perhaps wouldn't say anything.
I have no idea why the FA made her wear a blanket. But my point is that she is not really a POS as that term means. Perhaps "thick" but not outside of the US mainstream. My OMNI guess is being Black was the bigger issue...
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by s0ssos
If she's a real doctor shouldn't she understand obesity is bad?

I'm not sure dissecting the minutia of someone else's life is relevant to this subject at hand.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no idea why the FA made her wear a blanket. But my point is that she is not really a POS as that term means. Perhaps "thick" but not outside of the US mainstream. My OMNI guess is being Black was the bigger issue...
Actually I didn't detect any racial card in this story.

thick=POS=US Mainstream I guess.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Well I say she's not dressed any differently than many other paxs you see on flights. But again if she boarded a flight 40 years ago she'd get plenty of stares.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:30 pm

The woman was departing Kingston, Jamaica, following a week's vacation. I travel to the Caribbean frequently and can assure she's got nothing over what I've seen others wear, - men, women, and children - especially on return flights from hot humid tropical third-world-ish airports. Especially during the summer and coming back from a vacation. She ordered off the plane after being allowed to board by the GA. She had to ask three times, after complying with their humiliating request to wrap herself in a blanket, to re-board the plane. She then had to walk back to her seat, with all eyes probably on her knowing something was going on, wrapped in a blanket. A parade of shame. She was humiliated in front of her son.

Sounds like FAs with an ax to grind on a something or on a power-trip. Or both.

You wouldn't catch me dead on a plane in what she was wearing, in my own backyard, let alone on a plane. But it's certainly no worse in terms of "revealing" or " questionably bad taste" than other outfits I've seen on vacation flights. Maybe she's not returning AA's calls to discuss further because she's busy consulting with a lawyer.

If there's not more to the story, frankly I hope she sues AA for every last cent they are worth and walks away with a large settlement. And the Flight Attendants are searching the employment pages.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius

I'm not sure dissecting the minutia of someone else's life is relevant to this subject at hand.
I guess you don't understand the meaning of minutiae, figuratively or literally.
And it is as relevant as the title, which mentioned she is a doctor. Is that relevant? Would this be news if she weren't?
MasterPlanner and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:43 pm

Actually I didn't detect any racial card in this story.

thick=POS=US Mainstream I guess.
Hmm, well the story linked literally says...
Instead, she believes there's a double-standard for appropriate attire that's applied differently to women depending on a few factors, including body shape and race.
I guess you could argue that she's saying there's a double-standard in general but not every factor was at play in this case? Seems unlikely, but the writer paraphrased instead of quoted.

Also, I believe the preferred spelling on the internet is 'thicc.'
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:07 pm

While I agree that someone who is a true POS should probably skip certain outfits, she is nowhere close.
Are you perhaps suggesting that spandex and yoga pants are a privilege, and not a right?

It also took me a minute to swap the acronym. I started thing, “who said she was a piece of....?”

Oh... person of....

Check. Duh.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Never mind, tight but not inappropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.