How does Parker still have a job?

Old Jul 7, 19, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
How does Parker still have a job?

Don't want to make this a thread about why AA is bad but how it continues to be so without changes.

AA is underperforming in the following ways
1. Operationally
2. Financially
3. Stockholder value wise
4. Employee and customer satisfaction

Why are the shareholders still ok with what is going on? Would like to discuss why the shareholders haven't pushed for changes yet and if there is something holding them back.
Spiff, jerryss, enviroian and 10 others like this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 11:43 am

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
Be careful what you ask for, it could be worse.

Personally I didn't think Horton was so bad, yet flyertalk was full of complaints about him. Now look what we have...

I am a former loyal AA flyer, now a free-agent. AA no longer gets all my travel money.
wrp96 and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jerryss View Post
Be careful what you ask for, it could be worse.

Personally I didn't think Horton was so bad, yet flyertalk was full of complaints about him. Now look what we have...

I am a former loyal AA flyer, now a free-agent. AA no longer gets all my travel money.
Could it be though?
MCI777 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Don't want to make this a thread about why AA is bad but how it continues to be so without changes.

1. Operationally
2. Financially

Why are the shareholders still ok with what is going on? Would like to discuss why the shareholders haven't pushed for changes yet and if there is something holding them back.
Just out of curiosity, what was your methodology in determining that AA is underperforming operationally, financially, with regard to stockholder value and employee and customer satisfaction?

Every year, the Wall Street Journal and Drucker Institute assemble a list of the top 250 most effectively managed companies. Primarily, they measure 1) Customer Satisfaction, 2) Employee Engagement and Development, 3) Innovation, 4) Social Responsibility, 5) Financial Strength and 6) overall effectiveness. Guess which airline came out at the top of the rankings for 2018. There are plenty of things that, IMO, AA does wrong; but, apparently, when an objective standard is applied, it seems to get a lot right.
nancypants and quinzinho like this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Just out of curiosity, what was your methodology in determining that AA is underperforming operationally, financially, with regard to stockholder value and employee and customer satisfaction?

Every year, the Wall Street Journal and Drucker Institute assemble a list of the top 250 most effectively managed companies. Primarily, they measure 1) Customer Satisfaction, 2) Employee Engagement and Development, 3) Innovation, 4) Social Responsibility, 5) Financial Strength and 6) overall effectiveness. Guess which airline came out at the top of the rankings for 2018. There are plenty of things that, IMO, AA does wrong; but, apparently, when an objective standard is applied, it seems to get a lot right.
Or perhaps just marginally better than others. This is a ranking. One can be top-ranked and still horribly rated. @:-)
Old Jul 7, 19, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

1. Operationally
2. Financially

Have you looked at who are the shareholders? Big pension funds? Also, shareholders should care only about current and future market valuation (stock price), not customer satisfaction, operations, employee engagement, etc. except to the extent that these factors influence stock price.
moondog and GTITAN like this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

1. Operationally - See DOT records. Downright terrible
2. Financially - DL is minting money while AA is only a fraction of that in the black due to Barclays and Citi. WN has half the revenue and the same profits.
3. Stockholder value - AA stock is the absolute sector laggard.
4. Employee engagement - See lawsuit with IAM-TWU and colossal cluster in terms of MX delays.

I'm not sure what the WSJ is doing, but by every other metric, AA is the sad sore thumb of late. AA also was the Air Transport World airline of the year, but I'm putting limited stock in that too.

AA's stock price accurately reflects investor sentiment in how it is being run. However, it seems beyond people liquidating the holdings, the investors (presumably institutional) are asleep at the wheel beyond that.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Have you looked at who are the shareholders? Big pension funds? Also, shareholders should care only about current and future market valuation (stock price), not customer satisfaction, operations, employee engagement, etc. except to the extent that these factors influence stock price.
To the first questions - no. But I will. To the second - AA's stock price isn't doing so hot either. I can understand if AAL was printing money while people complained, that shareholders wouldn't care. But financially AA is a mess, operationally in the red and barely in the black thanks to credit cards, despite DL posting billion dollar quarterly profits.

As an investor, I would be furious. I don't own any AA stock personally, but other comparable situations, I'm casting my vote at the shareholder meeting to kick people out.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt

Just off the top:
lowest net income of the Big 3
lowest earnings per share
Stock down nearly 18% in past 12 months; DAL is up about 17%; UAL is up nearly 30%

No one can doubt that its an operational mess this summer - between MAX issues and MTC threats.
Old Jul 7, 19, 1:33 pm

I think you could be really jumping the gun here, he wasn't nearly that far off on his $60 stock price by Nov 2018 bet. At least $5B of profit per year is right around the corner just like he promised.

Expectations aside, I don't think he's done poorly aside from the way too ambitious public declarations.
Old Jul 7, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
I am not an AA shareholder, so I can't really say why Parker is still around. But who would replace him?

Also, thinking back to the situation at UAL a few years ago, didn't it effectively take an investigation into corruption before Jeff Smisek was forced to resign?
jerryss likes this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 4:01 pm

Because his golden parachute would likely put them in the red. Better to BBQ him at the board meeting.
FiveMileFinal likes this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 4:54 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Just out of curiosity, what was your methodology in determining that AA is underperforming operationally, financially, with regard to stockholder value and employee and customer satisfaction?]
All one has to do is look at the stock price. January 2018... The stock was trading at $58.47. July 2019... The stock is trading at $32.46 even through the stock market is at or near a record high.

If I were a shareholder, I'd vote to oust Parker as well.
Spiff, Antarius and DCP2016 like this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 5:06 pm

Because shareholders don't matter. Corporations are run by and for management.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 5:18 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by lobo411 View Post
Because shareholders don't matter. Corporations are run by and for management.
I hope that's sarcasm.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: