Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does Parker still have a job?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
4. As someone intimately involved with substance abuse, I'm calling out all you cowards who disparage Mr. Parker ...about his alcohol issues. You are nothing more than cheapshot artists. Shame on you! What happened to your compassion? Sense of fair play? ...Everyone, and I mean everyone, deserves the right to recovery without ridicule. ����
Those 3 DUI (the latest being 12 years ago) may be part of his story but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that they are no longer a part of his current identity or ability to run a business.

And to your point, I don’t think he was ever denied the opportunity to enter or complete recovery, and he issued a public statement / mea culpa.

However if he wants to be a high profile businessman, he’ll forever have to accept the fact that the court of public opinion plays by a different set of rules and will forever bring this up, no matter how far in the past those 3 DUI are.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by joeyE

Those 3 DUI (the latest being 12 years ago) may be part of his story but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that they are no longer a part of his current identity or ability to run a business.

And to your point, I don’t think he was ever denied the opportunity to enter or complete recovery, and he issued a public statement / mea culpa.

However if he wants to be a high profile businessman, he’ll forever have to accept the fact that the court of public opinion plays by a different set of rules and will forever bring this up, no matter how far in the past those 3 DUI are.
I see, and accept your well thought out point! On this topic, I'm just sensitive to insensitive bashing for the sake of bashing.

Back on topic:Its a "copycat" business. Other than high employee morale and no unions to stir the pot, what does DL do that AA can't steal, replicate, and heaven forbid, improve upon?

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jul 10, 2019 at 10:58 am
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Back on topic:Its a "copycat" business. Other than high employee morale and no unions to stir the pot, what does DL do that AA can't steal, replicate, and heaven forbid, improve upon?
If they gave me the keys for a day, I would go to UA & DL hubs & STUDY THE BOARDING AREAS and processes. I’ve taken a few non-AA flights this year and am amazed and pleasantly taken aback how those 2 carriers board planes without gate lice or crowding. The UA/DL agents aren’t aggressive. I think they’re given well-thought-out scripts such that trusting passengers actually stay in their seats. That process is often the only contact any of us have with the airline & has disproportionate influence to the whole experience was being a good flight or a bad flight.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by spin88
+1. The reality is that in our version of crony capitalism, some dude (here Parker) put his buddies on on the board, they owe him, and let him do his thing. Stock holders are too defuse to impact things, and when they do - its usually some activist stockholder who is not interested in the long term health of the business, but rather some short term financial engineering to allow them to take a quick profit.
Exactly. Shareholder democracy is an interesting myth, but it's really nothing more than a way of rationalizing (at best) or concealing (at worst) the fact that corporations are fundamentally anti-democratic. FT isn't the place for a discussion of political philosophy, of course, but I can't help but chuckle when people ask why AA shareholders put up with management. It's like asking why North Korean concentration camp prisoners put up with Kim Jong Un!
Dallas49er and spin88 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
what I do is not relevant to AA's profitability metrics materially. I'm more questioning why shareholders are ok with the financial underperformance.
Yet you are here and not on an investment forum.

Reality is you are griping about the airline and probably have no financial gain or loss due to monetary performance. Just quit lying to yourself and admit you want to gripe.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years

If they gave me the keys for a day, I would go to UA & DL hubs & STUDY THE BOARDING AREAS and processes. I’ve taken a few non-AA flights this year and am amazed and pleasantly taken aback how those 2 carriers board planes without gate lice or crowding. The UA/DL agents aren’t aggressive. I think they’re given well-thought-out scripts such that trusting passengers actually stay in their seats. That process is often the only contact any of us have with the airline & has disproportionate influence to the whole experience was being a good flight or a bad flight.
As a prisoner of EWR and UA for the past few years, UA is anything but organized, and their agents can be just as obnoxious and aggressive as all the others. Dozens of UA flights and AA flights in the past couple of years and candidly, its all the same. Stressed people putting customers into aluminum tubes and hoping no one freaks out and starts yelling. 99.93% of passengers never complain, they just suck it up and get to their destination, get off the plane, and go about their business.

Originally Posted by lobo411
Exactly. Shareholder democracy is an interesting myth, but it's really nothing more than a way of rationalizing (at best) or concealing (at worst) the fact that corporations are fundamentally anti-democratic. FT isn't the place for a discussion of political philosophy, of course, but I can't help but chuckle when people ask why AA shareholders put up with management. It's like asking why North Korean concentration camp prisoners put up with Kim Jong Un!

And yes, there is ZERO such thing as shareholder democracy. Doesn't exist, never did, never will. Should someone who owns 100 shares of AA taken as credible as they know how to run a giant airline with 125K employees and 1000 planes? I think not, even though tons of people here on Flyertalk think they do. Most BOD members (been one several times) really care about balancing the macro state of these large companies, avoiding huge liabilities, and trying to keep the ball rolling quarter after quarter. Activist shareholders pretend they want to fix stuff like these complaints, but the really just try and squeeze the institutional shareholders so they can greenmail the shareholder base and create events to either lever up the balance sheet with bad debt or cause the stock to fall so they can then pump and dump. It has nothing to do with whether they like the boarding process or food in business class.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
This comes down to the CEO team providing acceptable return on investment. Part of that is meeting internal projections (which none of us have or know). Some of that would also relate to how an company does compare to a like peer. AA and DL are similar enough that to compare them financially is a fair assessment. A 3.5% operating margin versus 9.7% operating margin is a big difference and operating margins typically exclude interest expense. So if I'm a large shareholder I would have every right to ask about the competency of the executive team to run an airline the size of AA.

Delays and irregular operations are a cost of business for every airline. The central point is what is airline management proactively doing to hold the line on these costs. From these numbers DL is clearly doing some right, which as a side benefit helps passengers, and AA not so much, which adversely impacts passengers.
You hear day in and day out the aviation stock-market analysts and their ilk arguing that "everyone buys on price." Parker, and UA under Smisik bought into this view. The Hunter Keays of the world told them to cut service quality, and in an oligopoly they would have out-sized results. After Smisik was fired - not for incompetence or a failed vision, but because he was a crook - UA before Kirby took total charge started to move back into a more consumer friendly airline, before reverting, and in my limited experience is now tied with AA as the worst airline, with AA having the additional distinction of having a worse operational performance.

The financial results speak for themselves, and are about what you would expect. Many folks buy on price, but when they have a bad experience - which is much more likely on AA or UA, will often avoid that carrier in the future. Some flyers are in fortress hubs, or are stuck in corporate deals. But the most valuable fliers of all - those who give you average yields that allow you to have a 9.7% operating margin (Delta) vs. 5.2% (UA) or 3.5% (AA) in the best economy for airlines since the late 90s - are flyers who are not strictly price sensitive and respond to better NPS scores/reputation/service quality.

On a connecting flight, I am very happy to give DL $100-200+ more than I am willing to give UA/AA (and I usually fly in domestic F on work). Like probably 90% of people, I personally have a "who much is too much extra" point, which lead me to just fly on four PE tickets to Europe and back, AA was $2000, the only real other option at the time I bought was AF at $2400. Delta could not give me the PE routing I needed (they are late to the PE game...) but no doubt, had they had a decent option at $2200 or $2300 I would have popped for it vs AA, and avoided the risk (which became reality) of how horrible of an airline AA has become. And had LH or another decent European carrier like SAS had decent PE options, I would have paid them more than I paid AA. But the bottom line is I am ONLY flying AA where it is substantially cheaper.

Multiply me by 20,000,000 (some willing to only fly AA if its $50 cheaper, some $500) and you have the difference in yield. Delta is able to sell tickets at each price point for a little more on some seats, and ends up with fuller planes near the end, where it can then charge higher prices to those who need last minute tickets that extra revenue is the difference.
steve64 and Spiff like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards

Are you talking about DL? Has something changed recently? Because that is not my experience at all.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
- Or better yet study how JAL boards planes quickly and runs the operation on time.

Her are my $0.02 why AA is poorly managed:
1) The crews (pilots and FAs) are not continuing the same journey but change (at least sometimes) planes and even split between different flights. So if one flight is delayed but FAs are scheduled to work on two different flights after that, then the delays would simply multiply and grow exponentially during the day.
2) If you cut the number of gate agents and ground crew to the bare minimum there is often no one to meet incoming planes. It is now typical to seat on tarmac for 15-30 min after the landing before getting to the gate. Sure, mechanical delays at the gates contribute to that but AA management of incoming planes is unacceptable. Do not assign the gates ca. 6 hrs before departure. Allow for some flexibility as typically done by European airlines. This is a simple optimization problem that could be solved in real time. I would often here from a pilot something like" "Folks, we arrive 30 min earlier from NRT and now have to wait for our gate to open". Sure, but AA knew 12 hrs ago the exact time (down to 1-2 min) when the plane would land once it took off from NRT.
3) On one of the last flights of 737-MAX I took the plane was scheduled to spend about 45 min in BWI after coming from MIA and turning back. The plane arrived on time but GAs were struggling to deplane everyone and board the full plane for on-time departure. That scheduled turn-around time was simply unrealistic.
4) On my last red-eye from SEA FA in F apologized for lack of pre- departure beverages. The catering finally arrived ... 10 min before departure.
5) I personally know several GAs and FAs who decided to retire after the merger. Today the front desk agents have little clues for anything non-standard. Training is definitely lacking.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Are you talking about DL? Has something changed recently? Because that is not my experience at all.
I can not speak for UA, but the current DL process for larger flights is somewhere between a complete mess and a massive gate lice infestation.

I almost prefer the China airlines where you know others will not abide by the rules so can just treat iit as a scrum from the get go.
Dallas49er and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by shaddie

Yet you are here and not on an investment forum.

Reality is you are griping about the airline and probably have no financial gain or loss due to monetary performance. Just quit lying to yourself and admit you want to gripe.
There are plenty of other threads to gripe on and I have. That is not the purpose of this thread, and unless you somehow know me better than myself...

I do not have a financial position in AA anymore, yes. However doesnt mean I wouldn't want to again later with changes made. And regardless, none of this materially changes my original question- why are AA investors seemingly okay with taking a beating.
Spiff and bchandler02 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by lobo411
I see a unicorn in my front yard! And rumor has it that a pig has just been cleared for landing at DFW! And Lobo411 and I actually agree on something!

The apocalypse is nigh!
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There are plenty of other threads to gripe on and I have. That is not the purpose of this thread, and unless you somehow know me better than myself...

I do not have a financial position in AA anymore, yes. However doesnt mean I wouldn't want to again later with changes made. And regardless, none of this materially changes my original question- why are AA investors seemingly okay with taking a beating.
The purpose of this thread is how can AA habitually financially fall well behind its 3 major competitors and the CEO keep his job? Aside from the bad customer experiences discussed endlessly here on FT it's a very valid question.
Spiff, LINDEGR, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:16 am

Probably because the majority stock ownership these days are held mostly through mutual funds (purchased via 401ks/403bs, etc...), etfs and various other pension funds. This will remain the status quo, unless or until Activist hedge funds get involved.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wingnuthead
It has nothing to do with whether they like the boarding process or food in business class.
If the only issues were boarding, food and seats, that would be one thing. DL has pretty lousy seat pitch in F, yet people aren't screaming about it as 1. The stockholders are really happy with the financial performance 2. Their on time metrics are good.. and several other reasons.

And yes, there is ZERO such thing as shareholder democracy. Doesn't exist, never did, never will. Should someone who owns 100 shares of AA taken as credible as they know how to run a giant airline with 125K employees and 1000 planes? I think not, even though tons of people here on Flyertalk think they do.

Fair enough. Good point.

Most BOD members (been one several times) really care about balancing the macro state of these large companies, avoiding huge liabilities, and trying to keep the ball rolling quarter after quarter. Activist shareholders pretend they want to fix stuff like these complaints, but the really just try and squeeze the institutional shareholders so they can greenmail the shareholder base and create events to either lever up the balance sheet with bad debt or cause the stock to fall so they can then pump and dump.
Except the AA BOD seems to be doing none of this. The ball isn't rolling quarter after quarter, things are getting progressively worse and that is represented in their share price. As for huge liabilities, that ship sailed a long time ago.

You are correct about many activist shareholders, their goal is to also make money. I am surprised no one has gotten involved yet as the situation seems ripe for an Icahn type to start rattling the cages (and yes, I am aware of Icahn's history with TWA/AA and am not saying I want Icahn. Merely that this seems like the situation that his ilk would be sniffing around publicly)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.