Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does Parker still have a job?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
With 3 DUIs maybe the question should be how is he not in jail? I understand people have personal demons and addiction is a bear, but this shows such demostrably poor personal judgement that I'd be shocked if he doesn't at least have some kind of behavior or morality clause in his contract.

I can't imagine Arpey throwing back a pony keg and then thinking it's appropriate to drive afterwards. One thing that really stuck with me from the CNBC hour long special was that Arpey knew how to behave with class and understood that perception mattered.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Parker would clearly be fired for the AA operational meltdown if he were a low level employee. But is not the practice of the AA board to hold leadership accountable. He will probably get a big bonus. And when the board is forced to dismiss him, he will leave with a huge golden parachute.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
shareholders should care only about current and future market valuation (stock price), not customer satisfaction, operations, employee engagement, etc. except to the extent that these factors influence stock price.[/left]
Yes, intelligent shareholders realize that most of these things affect the long term valuation of the company. All of these factors are reflected in the current stock price, the NPV of future cash flows.

So shareholders are seeing and reacting negatively to all of these things, and yet they stick with him.

Though I agree that the concept of mom and pop 300-share shareholders speaking out and replacing a CEO is laughable. You need huge pension funds to take note, and then the board to actually do something.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
How accurate is this source?

https://onemileatatime.com/how-did-u...arter-of-2019/

How do the operating margins for the major US airlines compare (operating income divided by operating revenue)?
  • Allegiant — 20.2% (91.1 million divided by 451.6 million)
  • Spirit — 10.3% (87.8 million divided by 855.8 million)
  • Southwest — 9.8% (505 million divided by 5.1 billion)
  • Delta — 9.7% (1.02 billion divided by 10.472 billion)
  • Hawaiian — 8% (52.676 million divided by 656.751 million)
  • United — 5.2% (495 million divided by 9.589 billion)
  • JetBlue — 4.1% (76 million divided by 1.871 billion)
  • American — 3.5% (375 million divided by 10.584 billion)
  • Alaska — 1.3% (25 million divided by 1.876 billion)
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...arnings-calls/
  • Passenger revenue was 14.49 cents per available seat mile, while total cost was 15.31 cents per available seat mile.
  • That’s $7.02 billion in passenger revenue. Add in $218 million in cargo revenue, for $7.24 billion in ‘flying revenue’ against $7.42 billion in expense. That’s a $180 million loss for the quarter.
  • However the airline reported a $245 million pre-tax profit thanks to selling miles to banks. For the quarter their “[o]ther revenue was up 1.9% to $708 million due primarily to higher loyalty revenue.”
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by oopsz

How do the operating margins for the major US airlines compare (operating income divided by operating revenue)?
  • Passenger revenue was 14.49 cents per available seat mile, while total cost was 15.31 cents per available seat mile.
  • That’s $7.02 billion in passenger revenue. Add in $218 million in cargo revenue, for $7.24 billion in ‘flying revenue’ against $7.42 billion in expense. That’s a $180 million loss for the quarter.
  • However the airline reported a $245 million pre-tax profit thanks to selling miles to banks. For the quarter their “[o]ther revenue was up 1.9% to $708 million due primarily to higher loyalty revenue.”
AA is no longer an airline - they are a credit card affiliate who happens to also fly planes.

Another thing to consider is when, not if, the next economic slowdown occurs AA is terribly positioned financially to weather even a short recession. Not only are they incapable of generating an operating profit on the activity they purport to provide (flying) during economic expansion, the only revenue stream that's keeping them afloat will dry up as credit tightens during a contraction. If their already poor performance from passengers gets worse combined with a drop in CC fees plus for fun throw in their current labor issues which will likely result in higher fixed labor costs and you have a pretty bleak outlook.

Last edited by ryan182; Jul 9, 2019 at 12:52 pm
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by oopsz

• Passenger revenue was 14.49 cents per available seat mile, while total cost was 15.31 cents per available seat mile. AA's nea
These numbers alone you would think have the BOD telling Parker we need either immediate improvement or we need a leadership change. AA's nearest competitor from a revenue stand point, DL, had well more than double operating margin. That can't be explained just by mixture of hubs, a/c, etc. If the credit card revenue dries up AA is going to be back in red.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
If you look at EVERY forum on Flyertalk, there is a thread just like this. Hating on the CEO, how horrible the company is, how bad the soft/hard product is, how the FF program is devalued, how does the CEO still have a job, how bad the management is, how bad the food is, etc, etc.

In my view, and having lived through Crandall, Carty, Arpey, Horton and now Parker, it seems to me that things are actually decent operationally. Crandall was amazing, Carty made everyone sad, Arpey was an honorable guy but waited too long to bankrupt the company and was generally hands off, and Horton was a caretaker who could only merge and didn't seem to have the stomach for operational details, but Parker is a airline guy and seems to be doing what needs to be done.

Is there a handbook written someplace that tells people how to run a giant airline? Nope, there isn't. No one knows what to do every day at a company this large, with this many employees scattered about the world, taking care of 200 MILLION customers every year, managing almost 1000 aircraft, still digesting the worst of all merger types, an airline merger.

After actually flying 3 Million miles on AA over the past 30 years, 1 million on CO/UA, and another million across many other airlines, I cannot find a single airline that's radically better or worse than any other one. And everyone one of these hate threads amuses me.
Dallas49er, SJOGuy, TWA884 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by wingnuthead
If you look at EVERY forum on Flyertalk, there is a thread just like this. Hating on the CEO, how horrible the company is, how bad the soft/hard product is, how the FF program is devalued, how does the CEO still have a job, how bad the management is, how bad the food is, etc, etc.

In my view, and having lived through Crandall, Carty, Arpey, Horton and now Parker, it seems to me that things are actually decent operationally. Crandall was amazing, Carty made everyone sad, Arpey was an honorable guy but waited too long to bankrupt the company and was generally hands off, and Horton was a caretaker who could only merge and didn't seem to have the stomach for operational details, but Parker is a airline guy and seems to be doing what needs to be done.

Is there a handbook written someplace that tells people how to run a giant airline? Nope, there isn't. No one knows what to do every day at a company this large, with this many employees scattered about the world, taking care of 200 MILLION customers every year, managing almost 1000 aircraft, still digesting the worst of all merger types, an airline merger.

After actually flying 3 Million miles on AA over the past 30 years, 1 million on CO/UA, and another million across many other airlines, I cannot find a single airline that's radically better or worse than any other one. And everyone one of these hate threads amuses me.
This comes down to the CEO team providing acceptable return on investment. Part of that is meeting internal projections (which none of us have or know). Some of that would also relate to how an company does compare to a like peer. AA and DL are similar enough that to compare them financially is a fair assessment. A 3.5% operating margin versus 9.7% operating margin is a big difference and operating margins typically exclude interest expense. So if I'm a large shareholder I would have every right to ask about the competency of the executive team to run an airline the size of AA.

Delays and irregular operations are a cost of business for every airline. The central point is what is airline management proactively doing to hold the line on these costs. From these numbers DL is clearly doing some right, which as a side benefit helps passengers, and AA not so much, which adversely impacts passengers.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wingnuthead

The facts do not back up this assertion. Yes, Carty and Arpey were lousy CEOs, but holding the barometer that far underwater for comparison sake is not really a good one.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
The facts do not back up this assertion. Yes, Carty and Arpey were lousy CEOs, but holding the barometer that far underwater for comparison sake is not really a good one.
Yet you are still here and still flying AA. Your vote here counts for nothing. Your wallets vote may or may not count for slightly more.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
Many of us are hub captive. I fly AA bc I don't have much choice, I fly DL occasionally, and they're a little bit better at everything. I can defend AA's focus on FF revenue vs mileage, and all of the other elite program things that annoy most of us on these boards, however the operational component falling down, and getting killed by Delta financially is a lot harder to except, and I'm surprised organizational investors are more pissed off about it.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by shaddie
Yet you are still here and still flying AA. Your vote here counts for nothing. Your wallets vote may or may not count for slightly more.
what I do is not relevant to AA's profitability metrics materially. I'm more questioning why shareholders are ok with the financial underperformance.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by jdanton
Many of us are hub captive. I fly AA bc I don't have much choice, I fly DL occasionally, and they're a little bit better at everything. I can defend AA's focus on FF revenue vs mileage, and all of the other elite program things that annoy most of us on these boards, however the operational component falling down, and getting killed by Delta financially is a lot harder to except, and I'm surprised organizational investors are more pissed off about it.
How many people are truly hub captive? Out of the top ten largest MSAs in the USA, I would argue that only two of them are really "hub captive" cities: PHL and ATL. In every other MSA, you have at least two major airports that give diversity of choice or you have one airport where no carrier dominates.
GlobalMatt and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
I am no fan of Mr. Parker, nor now as AAgnostic, neither am I a dispariger.

A couple of points.

1. I'm a sales guy. But if the accountant types show me (based on operating margins) that the evil empire is killing me by 6 and 3 times, and 3 times by our "nearest"competitor, all with essentially the same product, I would ask:
a. Why
b. How (long) has this been going on?
c. When did (someone) notice
d. What are we doing to fix this?
e. Who CAN fix this?

2. IMHO-In sports it's the coach that gets fired. When in reality, its the players who are failing.

3. Mr Parker and his team, have committed to this path. They have bet on Red. We, on the outside mourn. We mourn because we are watching a train wreck in progress, and we can see a way out, yet sit powerless as we are forced to watch (participate).

4. As someone intimately involved with substance abuse, I'm calling out all you cowards who disparage Mr. Parker from the safety of the anonymity of your keyboard about his alcohol issues. You are nothing more than cheapshot artists. Shame on you! What happened to your compassion? Sense of fair play? In my experience, it's the hand up, and NOT the hand across the jaw that aids in recovery. Everyone, and I mean everyone, deserves the right to recovery without ridicule. ����

5. If I were the new CEO, I would buy out the seniors, whose attitude and work ethic are the root of the problem, and embark on a program of weeding them out, and hiring people who actually want to work and do a good job.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jul 10, 2019 at 6:58 am
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
A bad decision by any company. Shareholders can always flip the staff that consist of the board of directors, though.
Far easier to say than do. Most BoD members across all industries are re-elected without a 2nd thought, for better or worse due to how shareholder votes are held.

As for me, would you AA flyers rather have Scott Kirby at the helm? or you happy he landed over at United? All I can say is I'm happy to have not been on an AA flight in over a year, and my UA flying is down to 4 segments so far in 2019. #teamdelta
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.