Search

How does Parker still have a job?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by discoseal
I'm not defending AA, but if not incompetence, what then keeps you flying AA?
I am mulling this same question. Things have only started to really unravel in the last 6 months or so. Before that, there were some cuts and changes, but also improvements to the FL and hard product etc.

I was a CO person until CO/UA happened and Smisek made a mess; seeing a lot of parallels at AA now to 2012. At that time I left UA/CO and despite living in 2 UA hubs, have little desire to go back.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Deciding to fire Parker is just part of the battle. The other questions are which other executives also need to be let go, and who will take over as CEO. Promoting an executive (who worked closely with Parker) may result in Doug Parker 2.0 and AA would be no better. Hiring from outside AA also brings risks.

Originally Posted by Antarius
I was a CO person until CO/UA happened and Smisek made a mess; seeing a lot of parallels at AA now to 2012.
I was tempted to compare AA of today to UA under Smisek, but that would be an insult to Smisek.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Austin787
I was tempted to compare AA of today to UA under Smisek, but that would be an insult to Smisek.
Would be an entertaining article at the least, a Harvard Business School case study at most. I'd sure as hell read it.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
For some of us, the decision to stick with AA is not one we can make consciously. I travel domestically for work and have to be within $100 of the cheapest R/T airfare. To avoid Spirit and Allegiant, I am able to parlay my elite status bag allowances to offset the net difference. From my market, DL and UA are far more expensive that AA, often running $200 or more than the AA flights. AS is sometimes competitive price-wise but can often involve inconvenient and lengthy connections. WN is sometimes competitive, and I occasionally fly them, but often times, they too are more expensive given that I typically book just inside the 14-day window. Unlike me, I think that a lot of higher-tier elites do have more flexibility in their bookings and do have the ability to shift their spend around, and based on my recent upgrade successes, they may be doing just that. IMO, the only thing that keeps any of the higher-tier elites around are the international J cabins and the Flagship Lounges.

Ultimately, I agree with the OP. Looking at the situation from the view of an investor, things don't look so rosy. In a time when airlines are doing well overall, and many are showing record profits, AA lags behind it's competitors in almost every measurable category. Forget the ranking lists...those can be weighted to fit a narrative. The hard and fast data including stock price (and Y-O-Y comparison); P/E ratio; gross income; net income; DOT statistics; etc. show the true picture. Simply comparing those to AA's previous results can begin to form a trend, but then when compared to their peers over the last couple of years is where the nervousness should begin to be felt.

Parker was instrumental in combining the two airlines and did so relatively (this is a very loose meaning) well. Now that the merger has been completed, I believe that there is a need to bring in someone with a more long-term view of how to continue the viability of the airline. At this point, it is highly unlikely that there is anyone else AA could merge with that would provide value (or be approved by regulatory agencies) and in the past that has been how he has progressed and created value...HP->US->AA.
steve64, loosecanyn, Gerbs and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
AA tends to fall down operationally. Many of us know how to get around this albeit it's usually more work on us. Plus we have AC memberships and/or a dedicated phone line we can call. The average traveler is totally screwed. Flying TPA/MIA Saturday 95% of the a/c were connections which were long missed. But the GAs told all pax to go to MIA and they'd be taken care of. We of course know this is one big lie. Many of those paxs probably lived in TPA and would have been far better going home and getting re-accommodated than spending what could be hours if not days at MIA. Clearly the GAs didn't have the proper resources so they just kicked the can to someone else to do with.
Spiff, enviroian and SJOGuy like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by meunger11
I am not defending AA here, but I will say in the last 5 or so years, the hard product on much of the wide body fleet has vastly improved.
We fly mostly international J and F, but when we step into the domestic experience, it's now more-often-than-not not an airline we are proud to be elites of.
That maybe true, but of the 965 aircraft in service, 811 are not wide bodies !
811 aircraft who see more cycles / day, more passengers / day etc.
From small overhead space to lack of USB power to tiny Airbus windows to Oasis cabins to non-refurbished planes received in the LUS era.
Much of the AA hard product is kind of austere & has the most exposure to any carrier's passenger base in the US.

I agree with your 2nd point.
BarrenLucidity likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
All one has to do is look at the stock price. January 2018... The stock was trading at $58.47. July 2019... The stock is trading at $32.46 even through the stock market is at or near a record high.

If I were a shareholder, I'd vote to oust Parker as well.
I was a AA shareholder, saw the writing on the wall, got out. Glad I did.

Originally Posted by lobo411
Because shareholders don't matter. Corporations are run by and for management.
+1. The reality is that in our version of crony capitalism, some dude (here Parker) put his buddies on on the board, they owe him, and let him do his thing. Stock holders are too defuse to impact things, and when they do - its usually some activist stockholder who is not interested in the long term health of the business, but rather some short term financial engineering to allow them to take a quick profit.

I hope that's sarcasm.
No, reality.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
A bad decision by any company. Shareholders can always flip the staff that consist of the board of directors, though.
Not really. How you going to "flip the BOD" spending $20+M on a proxy flight to elect a new board? Good luck. There is effectively NO oversight of captive boards, all the market can do is punish them - like AA is being punished - but selling our stock does not oust the management.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by joeyE
That maybe true, but of the 965 aircraft in service, 811 are not wide bodies !
811 aircraft who see more cycles / day, more passengers / day etc.
From small overhead space to lack of USB power to tiny Airbus windows to Oasis cabins to non-refurbished planes received in the LUS era.
Much of the AA hard product is kind of austere & has the most exposure to any carrier's passenger base in the US.

I agree with your 2nd point.
There's plenty to complain about on the LUS 321s, but it's not like they chose a small window size - literally the way the aircraft are made. Frankly, I'll trade the windows for the extra width vs the 737 any day of the week.
mrow, bchandler02, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
There's plenty to complain about on the LUS 321s, but it's not like they chose a small window size - literally the way the aircraft are made. Frankly, I'll trade the windows for the extra width vs the 737 any day of the week.
Agree completely about the LUS 321s.
There seems to be this fantasy around here that if Parker goes, everything will return to the way it once was with all the old perks reinstated, plenty of free upgrades, high sAAver award inventory, nicer FAs, the end of Oasis, and better operational performance. With or without him, the good old days are gone with the wind....
SJOGuy and FiveMileFinal like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by joeyE
That maybe true, but of the 965 aircraft in service, 811 are not wide bodies...I agree with your 2nd point.
Couldn't agree more! The domestic experience has become a sad reality, but it's by design.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The days of "densification" and charge for this and that are here to stay. Again, it's the operational performance. And poor operational performance drives up costs and reduces profits. A new CEO might improve on operational reliability and improve customer service but AA will march on with degrading the Y experience.
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by AA100k

Agree completely about the LUS 321s.
There seems to be this fantasy around here that if Parker goes, everything will return to the way it once was with all the old perks reinstated, plenty of free upgrades, high sAAver award inventory, nicer FAs, the end of Oasis, and better operational performance. With or without him, the good old days are gone with the wind....
It is possible to want consequences for behavior without unrealistic expectations that things will suddenly be all puppies and unicorns once the consequences are actualized. @:-)
Daze, Catbert10 and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by meunger11
Couldn't agree more! The domestic experience has become a sad reality, but it's by design.
I'm having a hard time remembering some magical domestic product in the 12-13 years I've been flying.
All I remember are old mad dogs and tired 737 interiors with flaky, slow wifi and no entertainment.

I'd have a hard time believing the hard product has ever been better.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by reeg2
I'm having a hard time remembering some magical domestic product in the 12-13 years I've been flying.
All I remember are old mad dogs and tired 737 interiors with flaky, slow wifi and no entertainment.

I'd have a hard time believing the hard product has ever been better.
Let’s see . . .

In General
- The padding on seats seems to be getting thinner and thinner. Those Mad-Dogs might be old, but those seats at least were decently padded.
- I think 30-inch pitch (particularly on the A319s and 737 MAX) is a relatively recent phenomenon. I do recall a time when AA had the most legroom in main cabin.
- I think some of the newer seats don’t have adjustable headrests. I didn’t appreciate those until they started to disappear.
- There are still some great FAs, but my overall impression is that crew sense of pride in their work has generally declined.

First Class
- First class on the 737 used to have a standard of 41” of pitch. The newer and reconfigured planes have less (36-38”), although maybe that change is being halted.
- AA used to have the best domestic catering of the Big 3 (before the merger); now they’re pretty much the worst.
- Availability of upgrades for elites has generally declined.

Sure, WiFi has become more widely available, which is an improvement. And I guess you could say that the option to stream video is an improvement in entertainment, despite the fact that it has come at the cost of in-seat entertainment. Overall, though, I’d say the domestic experience has drastically declined over the past two decades, and especially in the last few years.
LINDEGR and Dallas49er like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.