Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

London LHR T3 best departure lounge for AA fliers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
London Heathrow LHR Terminal 3 Lounges

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Terminal 3 handles a number of oneworld airlines, including

AA - American Airlines
AY - Finnair
BA - British Airways* (limited destinations)
CX - Cathay Pacific Airways
IB - Iberia (from 12 Jul 2022)
JL - Japan Airlines
RJ - Royal Jordanian
QF - Qantas Airways
UL - SriLankan Airlines

Note: Most British Airways flights depart Terminal 5, not connected airside other than by interterminal buses requiring connecting boarding passes and security procedures.

Some unaligned and SkyTeam member airlines also use Terminal 3
Star Alliance member airlines use Terminal 2

Terminal 3 houses several oneworld lounges:
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Area H (currently closed)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge - landside, restricted access (link)
American Airlines International First Class Lounge - Lounge Area H (closed)
British Airways Galleries Club Lounge - Zone F (link)
British Airways Galleries First Lounge - Zone F (link)
Cathay Pacific Business Lounge - (link)
Cathay Pacific First Class Lounge - (link)
Qantas London Lounge - Lounges Zone B (link)

Other lounges (pay, membership, lounge access schemes)
No. 1 Heathrow Lounge (pay) - near Gates 13-22 (link)
No. 1 Lounge pod hotel (link)
Club Aspire Lounge - near Gate 9
Plaza Premium Arrivals Lounge - Ground Floor, Arrivals

Distinctive characteristics:
Cathay Pacific Lounge - Noodle Bar
Qantas Lounges - Gin Bar
Cathay Pacific and BA First Dining are the only areas that offer meaningful tarmac views
Print Wikipost

London LHR T3 best departure lounge for AA fliers?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Another way to look at it .. Since anyone who has lounge access via status can use a variety of decent lounges, why would AA bother? it can maintain a substandard lounge for its paying members and everyone else has choices such as CX, BA or QF
for the non status pax paying for J and F? Provide a ...... experience and they may not come back.

LHR T3 would be a prime location for a OW lounge.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Since this is clearly such a subjective matter, my recommendation is to try each of them. They are so close to each other that I think that one would spend a maximum of 10 minutes in aggregated transit time between all the lounges.

Which one is the most crowded probably varies on which airline has the most departures inside of 2 hours, other than that, it is truly a matter of what one prioritizes with their own preferences.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Antarius
for the non status pax paying for J and F? Provide a ...... experience and they may not come back.

The non status passenger choosing to pay for business class on AA can use one of the decent lounges
wrp96, Antarius and arlflyer like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
The non status passenger choosing to pay for business class on AA can use one of the decent lounges
True. Didnt think about that.

Why does AA have a lounge at all then? They seemingly see some value, albeit not enough to make it nice.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why does AA have a lounge at all then? They seemingly see some value, albeit not enough to make it nice.
for its paid members who have no other option?

There are also probably plenty of people who don't care and just use the AA lounge ( or are just used to the quality that AA provides and don't think of / know of other options )
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
Thank you all for this thread !

in the CX lounge as I post this.

Noodle bar very nice as well as the other food options.

front desk staff was very receptive and pleasant

Thx
MorganB likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I'm not getting why AA's product at LHR is so inferior. Every 1W carrier in T3 seems to have a premium lounge, while AA (unless you're in International F) only has the Admiral's Club. I know a FL is being "planned" but planning IMHO sounds like "it may happen when we get around to it.....maybe in three years".
Once upon a time the AA Flagship F Lounge was quite nice, but the competition has gone up for sure. And it's not just F flyers, OWE's/EXPs qualify for access too. And even the AC is much nicer than US domestic ones (but not up to the caliber of NRT).

I'm sure they are not investing too much to upgrade the Flagship F facilities in light of the upcoming Flagship Lounge plans.

Another way to look at it .. Since anyone who has lounge access via status can use a variety of decent lounges, why would AA bother? it can maintain a substandard lounge for its paying members and everyone else has choices such as CX, BA or QF
Brand, brand, brand..especially for high tier and premium cabin flyers.

Well, as I mentioned above, brand does matter, especially for the top tier flyers of each respective airline. For example the CX top tier or premium cabin flyers probably have an expectation to have access to more Hong Kong style food, such as the noodle bar and Dim Sum.

True. Didnt think about that.

Not to repeat myself..

for its paid members who have no other option?

There are also probably plenty of people who don't care and just use the AA lounge ( or are just used to the quality that AA provides and don't think of / know of other options )
Unfortunately (for them), many are not aware of the OW rules allowing access to each others respective lounges and stick to one they are "invited" to. More for us FT'ers to enjoy!
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Did something happen to the AA T3 First Class Lounge? People are acting like it doesn't exist.

I have to admit that I typically choose CX in this situation (yes, noodles), but part of that is for variety: I know what AA lounges are like and can experience that when I'm back in the US, and I've certainly seen enough of BA Galleries First in T5 that the T3 one is not particularly interesting as such. Putting aside the "familiarity breeds contempt" aspect and looking at it dispassionately, the AA FCL isn't worse than the Galleries First, and I'd put those two a notch below CX. I personally find the QF lounge kind of ... weird, but if barista coffee is your thing then it's a good choice.
jediwisdom likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Since the access rules for Flagship Lounge access changed (those flying in J have access as well as F), it’s not really a First Class lounge anymore, other than by oneworld rules. It’s still there. (Flagship First Dining is presumably coming in this century.)

I hope people who have used the showers post their experiences. I do recall the AA Club showers are better than, say, BA Terraces at T-5.

Ironically, the most welcoming AA lounge at LHR May be the Arrivals Lounge.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Since the access rules for Flagship Lounge access changed (those flying in J have access as well as F), it’s not really a First Class lounge anymore, other than by oneworld rules. It’s still there. (Flagship First Dining is presumably coming in this century.)

I hope people who have used the showers post their experiences. I do recall the AA Club showers are better than, say, BA Terraces at T-5.

Ironically, the most welcoming AA lounge at LHR May be the Arrivals Lounge.
At LHR, it is still a Flagship First Lounge, meaning that only F and OWE pax have access. The last holdover from the old system until it is converted and FFD is introduced to AA F flyers only.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:07 am

This is just a random guess, but I'd estimate that 70% of 'lounge-eligible' AA flyers at LHR don't know they can use the other lounges. That's good for AA (since it's assumed they pay the other airlines in some capacity when an AA pax uses a partner lounge) and good for us who know the rules.

I'd generally agree with most rankings here... this is my general plan when I have a couple hours to kill and want to consume 2,000 calories in 90 minutes.

- CX F for peace and quiet (usually), good sit-down dining/drinks, showers, lounge decor, views, and the noodle bar on the J side (J-side buffet generally isn't anything special)
- QF for stunning decor, gin bar (or 2nd floor coffee bar), and the salt & pepper squid (not available all day). It's also amazingly quiet after pax leave for the Qantas flights. I've also found their buffet to be somewhat weak
- AA F for select made-to-order items and fruit/veggie shot glass smoothies
- BA, generally don't go in there anymore so can't comment
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Centurion
What is the nicest One World departures lounge to use from London Heathrow Terminal 3 for an Exec Plat?
1. F Section of the CX Lounge
2. QF F/J Combo Lounge
3. BA/AA

Why all the love for the CX J noodle bar? I prefer the CX F a la carte restaurant. I assume if you wanted something from the noodle bar they'd bring it to you there anyway, no?

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Jul 7, 2019 at 10:19 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
1. F Section of the CX Lounge
2. QF F/J Combo Lounge
3. BA/AA

Why all the love for the CX J noodle bar? I prefer the CX F a la carte restaurant. I assume if you wanted something from the noodle bar they'd bring it to you there anyway, no?
yes, they will bring you food from the noodle bar if you so desire.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
The CX self serve food bar had a a chicken curry (not sure if was Indian or Malaysian), but it had the consistency/thickness of Malaysian rendang but was infused with more of a coconut curry flavor.

It was fantastic. Ate so much of it that I didn't eat dinner on the flight to JFK.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
+1

enjoy! don't forget to visit the noodle bar (down the hall) in the Cathay Business lounge as well.
You can actually just order noodles from one of the servers in the First Class section, even from the comfort of a seat overlooking the tarmac. That's what I've done. No need to trek down to the noodle bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.