Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Downgrade Biz -> Main Cabin in Paid J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Downgrade Biz -> Main Cabin in Paid J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by flymeAAway
My question, for future situations, does anyone know what is AA's downgrade policy? I was told many years ago by a befriended GA that the downgrade order went:

Fare Code
Elite Status
Time of purchase/ upgrade
I am interested in the official AA downgrade policy also. Surely one exists?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Uzzar
I am interested in the official AA downgrade policy also. Surely one exists?
If it does than surely they need to clarify the fare difference part of it. After all, if the pax had wanted to fly economy, he might not have picked the most expensive economy fare.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:22 pm

the original poster gave away all leverage when be boarded the plane. the lesson for everyone is to only board the plane if you have an executed agreement for the downgrade. that means a voucher of acceptable size in hand plus the knowledge of a de minimis fare difference refund later. don’t board the plane otherwise. demand they retrieve your baggage. make it as inconvenient as possible for all AA employees so that they either move along to the next sucker or print the desired voucher.

i’d never fly coach longhaul. if i couldn’t convince AA to move along to the next passenger on the list for downgrade, i’d fly later with the knowledge the entire schedule would be open to me to fly the next day, to delay the trip, to fly on any partner. think of it just like the flight was cancelled. act accordingly.
LINDEGR, GrumpyYoungMan and wylek like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
You asked for advice- again I feel your pain. I see you have been EXP for 5 years and as an EXP you have access to AAngels. Always helpful to build relationships as they can advise you "unofficially" and escalate internally. Based on my experiences over the years, they have gone above and beyond to help their best customers and fight through the bureaucracy. They are not customer service agents so they only have so much they can do and it seems to get more restrictive YOY. A nice one may give you guidance on actual fare differences between P and I with a call to revenue management. BTW - I would drop the paid J since the new mileage evaluation matches the selling price nad comes out of the same inventory. I'd focus on being knowledgeable, quick and

As and EXP with $X EQD and $X EQM I am disappointed by the compensation offered to me for flight # on date.
- The flight was mechanically delayed 4 hours resulting in a trip in vain that forced my cancellation of the last segment of my trip to BEG.
- I am seeking $X for the fare difference of the canceled segment to BEG and $X for the price difference between I class and P class reflecting the cost difference between purchased and flown cabins. Total $X in refund or $X in travel voucher.
- On the outbound international segment PHL-TXL I was downgraded from I to P due to a FA jump seat equipment failure and the GA did not follow the downgrade policy most likely due to time constraints.
- As an experienced traveler, I'm use to being flexible. However, given this situation I am seeking [one additional SWU] and $X in travel costs refunds.

They can't give away an additional SWU anymore, unless your close to a new threshold, but you might get an equivalency in miles. Asking for vouchers rather than refund allows a bit more flexibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.