Best Way to Fly in F To SJU

Old Jul 5, 19, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
Best Way to Fly in F To SJU

Here's the deal:

AUS-SJU on 8/4 (anytime, completely flexible and have AC membership so long layovers ok.)
SJU-AUS on 8/9 (same deal)

I have a voucher for ~$300
I Have 88K miles.

What would be my best opportunity to fly in F to SJU and back? I wanted to upfare, but 2X econ isn't feasible. I was hoping to maybe use 15K+copay with my voucher, but there is no saver space available, so I'm not sure that upgrade would work. A couple of additional points:

-I don't want to by in Y on a 763...that's torture.
-I would prefer not to transit CLT, that means crappy airplanes (although in confirmed F it would be okay...at least their crews are pleasant)

My dream routing would be AUS-DFW-MIA-SJU on 321/757/763 in F with return SJU-MIA-AUS on 763/E75. Would love to fork over the dough for that flight and then apply 30K+$150 and confirm in F the whole way. (I'd be okay not being in F for AUS-DFW)

Am I shooting for the moon with a bottle rocket?
Old Jul 5, 19, 5:10 am

No one's "dream routing" on a 2100-mile domestic itinerary should involve three legs and a grab bag of mediocre products and ancient aircraft. Just get to where you're going, which with AA's current operational performance is no small feat, and be on with it.
moondog, SJOGuy, carlosdca and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 5:52 am

Programs: an inch longer than you. Seriously, this is BS just for bragging.
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
No one's "dream routing" on a 2100-mile domestic itinerary should involve three legs and a grab bag of mediocre products and ancient aircraft. Just get to where you're going, which with AA's current operational performance is no small feat, and be on with it.
This forum is generally focused on the exact OPPOSITE of "just get to where you're going and be on with it.".

OP it seems lately that the best tip from everyone is if you want to be sure to sit up front, you're probably going to have to pay $ for it and not count on any upgrades.
platbrownguy and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
This forum is generally focused on the exact OPPOSITE of "just get to where you're going and be on with it."
Not really; this forum is for AA frequent flyers, who mostly do that flying for business and do indeed want to get where they're going efficiently. Maybe you're thinking of the Mileage Run Deals forum?
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd fly AUS/MIA/SJU (assuming the routing works) or AUS/DFW/SJU and be done with it. F on all flights are domestic F service, nothing special. To many connections could mean too many problems, including a re-route in Y which defeats your purpose of buying F.
moondog, JJeffrey, GTITAN and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA SIL, WN A+/CP, Marriott Tit (LT), Hyatt EXP, Hilton Gold
go early and with 1 connection. Domestic F is not worth extra legs especially with AA’s reliability of late.
Old Jul 5, 19, 10:34 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
What newyorkgeorge said.

Also, I don't think you can waitlist for an upgrade having a voucher as a payment option?
If you can, I wouldn't do it anyway, as upgrade may not clear and then you are stuck with an unused voucher.
Use the voucher for the ticket.
Old Jul 5, 19, 12:48 pm

Programs: an inch longer than you. Seriously, this is BS just for bragging.
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Not really; this forum is for AA frequent flyers, who mostly do that flying for business and do indeed want to get where they're going efficiently. Maybe you're thinking of the Mileage Run Deals forum?
Maybe you're new to the AA forum, but the vast overall vibe of this forum has tended to be about people trying to squeeze every bit of experience and privilege out of their experience for the least amount of spent...Not that people don't think about efficiency.
AA used to award credit for actual miles flown, so people came here recommending crazy circuitous routings, how to maximize their time in lounges, how many times they could get bumped as a volunteer, whether they get their pre-departure drink or if they get a free one at all in MCE, and use of systemwide upgrades which places it's "worth" spending them on, etc.
Definitely not thinking about "deals" posted on a completely non-AA forum.
What the OP is asking is very "normal" to ask, and hopefully he's getting some helpful advice or tips vs essentially "you're wasting your time trying, just get where you're flying already"
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Q: What's the best way to get to SJU in F?

A: The quickest, most direct routing you can find.

AUS-DFW-SJU, most likely, in this case.

Domestic F is nothing special.
Old Jul 5, 19, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe you're new to the AA forum, but the vast overall vibe of this forum has tended to be about people trying to squeeze every bit of experience and privilege out of their experience for the least amount of spent...Not that people don't think about efficiency.
AA used to award credit for actual miles flown, so people came here recommending crazy circuitous routings, how to maximize their time in lounges, how many times they could get bumped as a volunteer, whether they get their pre-departure drink or if they get a free one at all in MCE, and use of systemwide upgrades which places it's "worth" spending them on, etc.
What the OP is asking is very "normal" to ask, and hopefully he's getting some helpful advice or tips vs essentially "you're wasting your time trying, just get where you're flying already"
Yes a couple of years ago long winded routing for personal travel was a good way to beef up EQMs for status. Today crazy routings for miles are much more limited, for closing in on MM status, for GLDs and PLTs miles towards earned stickers and someone that has or will have the EQDs but not the EQMs. Or people that just like to spend hours on an a/c.

And yes assuming my upgrade clears sitting in F watching a movie, drinking a few free cocktails (after 12 noon of course) and not being disturbed by anyone is a nice "getaway" from reality.
moondog and GTITAN like this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
VERY well said.....it's about the journey, not simply getting from point A to point B. With that said, I'd try for AUS-DFW and try to get a flat bed 777 to MIA before connecting on to SJU.
GTITAN and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Looking at the AA cargo site, it appears the only widebody service during summer is via 767s (either MIA or PHL). During the winter months, you are much more likely to see A330s out of CLT and a second out of PHL. But much of the widebody lift is currently servicing true transoceanic service for the summer.
Old Jul 5, 19, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
VERY well said.....it's about the journey, not simply getting from point A to point B. With that said, I'd try for AUS-DFW and try to get a flat bed 777 to MIA before connecting on to SJU.
Adding a couple hours to the flight time and risking a misconnect, in order to get a lie flat to fly the last thousand miles seems a bit of a waste, unless you actually need an extra segment. I am flying DFW-SJU-MIA-DFW for a cruise only because I don't want to risk the ability to make the non-stop after a cruise. Luckily that MIA-DFW flight gives elitePE seats when booking economy
moondog and SJOGuy like this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, WS Gold, Marriott Silver
OP it seems lately that the best tip from everyone is if you want to be sure to sit up front, you're probably going to have to pay $ for it and not count on any upgrades.
Meaning AA and others of its ilk don't go bankrupt again.
Old Jul 5, 19, 4:55 pm

Maybe you're new to the AA forum, but the vast overall vibe of this forum has tended to be about people trying to squeeze every bit of experience and privilege out of their experience for the least amount of spent...
Nope, been here six years, guess you can’t read my avatar thingy. The “squeezing experience” ship sailed some time ago, probably corresponding to EQM requirements. And it is still AA domestic F, not SQ suites.

These days trying to fly crazy routings is just asking to miss your trip, get stuck somewhere, or end up in a middle Y seat. But to each his own.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
Sure, if you want your “journey” to include misconnects and downgrades, go for it, take that three leg itinerary during a period when the mechanics are in open revolt. Spin the wheel three times, everyone is a winner!
moondog likes this.

Search this Thread