Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How SWA flies to Dallas vs. AA- They say a picture is worth a thousand words (humor)

How SWA flies to Dallas vs. AA- They say a picture is worth a thousand words (humor)

Old Jul 2, 19, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Smile How SWA flies to Dallas vs. AA- They say a picture is worth a thousand words (humor)

FB memory popped up today.... Both flights to Dallas had similar scheduled departure times, within 15 minutes. Fortunately, I bailed to SWA and AA rolled in 5 hours later. Happy to give up an F seat for a middle in cattle class.

Inbound aircraft had a mechanical prior to SAT resulting in a 2 hour delay, then weather in Dallas keep the flight circling in Killeen until they had to go back to SAT for more fuel.
Old Jul 2, 19, 8:22 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
...ok, and how many aircraft are trying to take-off/land at DFW vs DAL at the same time this weather system rolled through?
Old Jul 2, 19, 8:28 pm

Good point!
Old Jul 4, 19, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, 1WS, CX Silver, HH Gold, Caesars Diamond
This was a good giggle. Sent this to my friend who works at WN and she got a kick out of it!
flymeAAway likes this.
Old Jul 4, 19, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
So two years ago a WN flight arrived on time and an AA flight was delayed/canceled?

OK then.
GrumpyYoungMan and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Jul 4, 19, 2:17 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa View Post
...ok, and how many aircraft are trying to take-off/land at DFW vs DAL at the same time this weather system rolled through?
Originally Posted by normcpa View Post
Good point!
It may or may not be a good point. If the weather system is sitting on top of one of the key arrival corridors through ZFW or D10 airspace, it could impact DAL and DFW nearly equally. Park some severe thunderstorms around Glen Rose and you are going to screw up everything coming up from the Southwest headed anywhere in the Metroplex.

A lot of people don't get that when we see severe weather causing major delays, it sometimes has nothing to do with conditions on or around the airfield but rather the airspace 50-100 miles away through which you will have to fly. There are only so many chunks of sky available. Increase in-trail spacing, get conservative to allow margin for pilots to deviate left and right of course, and it doesn't take much to slow the ATC system to a crawl.

Ironically, my personal opinion is that NextGen only makes this worse as it forces more aircraft into narrower corridors when things move according to plan. Scheduling the system in a way that you now rely on technology to squeeze more aircraft into tighter corridors when the weather is good means you have more impact when the weather is bad. And somewhere in the country, chances are it's bad. No hard data to back this up but I would be interested in hearing if a couple of our resident ATCs would support my theory that a system using NextGen to optimize traffic flows on good days actually makes things worse on bad days.

ORD is a good example: airfield infrastructure has been completely redesigned to maximize efficiency and reduce use of intersecting runways during normal ops. And yet as we saw a couple of weeks ago, you park some strong thunderstorms 100 miles from the actual airport and the massive delays and cancellations still cascade. (Have ORD slot controls gone away with the new airfield design?)

I remember sitting out a 5 hour delay on an EWR-DFW flight hearing the typical complaints from unknowledgeable travelers ("but it's not even raining"). Well, no, it's not raining at EWR. But it sure as heck is raining and storming across a huge chunk of PA, NY, MD, etc. This is why bad weather anywhere in the Northeast is equally likely to cause a cluster f. at any WAS/PHL/NYC area airport.
Old Jul 4, 19, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Really? 2 years ago? I'm pretty sure I could find a WN flight that was cancelled where an AA flight wasn't around the same time, to a different airport, over a 2-year span. And I wouldn't even have to include weather-induced delays, over which AA has no control.

I'm sure I could. But I won't. Because it's rather pointless.
bse118 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jul 4, 19, 8:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
I'll take a bunch flight delay drama (and the potential for $$/miles compensation) in a F seat anyday over a quicker middle seat on WN.....I'm never in THAT much of a hurry to choose WN over confirmed F on AA....this is FLYERtalk, right?
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 4, 19, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG, SQ *G
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
ORD is a good example: airfield infrastructure has been completely redesigned to maximize efficiency and reduce use of intersecting runways during normal ops. And yet as we saw a couple of weeks ago, you park some strong thunderstorms 100 miles from the actual airport and the massive delays and cancellations still cascade. (Have ORD slot controls gone away with the new airfield design?)
I largely agree with your post, but this definitely wasn't 100 miles from the airfield. It was ~20 mi limiting visibility on approach. Was lucky to not be diverted that day.