Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change and Rerouting Help - LAX to NRT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum

I would appreciate help with how to handle an AA schedule change from those more familiar with AA. I am flying business LAX-NRT-KUL (AA and MH) and return KUL-HKG-LAX (KA and AA).

I logged into AA.com today and saw my LAX-NRT leg was changed to LAX-DFW-NRT. This adds another stop (DFW) and departs at 6:30am (as opposed to my original 11:30am departure) from LAX.

I am actually flying in to LAX the day before (on AA in First) from DEN to position for my original flight (and see some family while I'm at it). So, backtracking to DFW and cutting into my time in LA is not desirable (not the end of the world, but messes up my plans in LA).

I have no status with AA and these are purchased tickets ('I' fare class Discount First/Business). I checked online and JP has a direct flight LAX-NRT (JP 61) at almost exactly the same time as my original flight (AA 169). This JP flight is an AA codeshare.

From the digging I did online, I read that if the change is more the 90 minutes and/or it adds a stop that AA can rebook on a partner. I called AA and spoke with a very nice and professional rep. She checked and there are seats available on the JP flight. However, she put me on hold, came back and then noted they were not permitted to rebook on partners. When I pushed a bit regarding the 90 minutes and the extra stop, she checked again. She said her supervisor stated because the new flight gets me in at the same time as previously scheduled, they cannot change it. (It may get me there at the same time, but requires me to leave hours early and make another stop.)

She noted they could issue a full refund for the ticket. I stated that before I decided to either accept the change or request a refund, I wanted to examine other options (and then came here to ask my question).

I wanted to check with more experienced AA flyers before doing anything more. Do I have any recourse?

Any advice from experienced AA flyers on the best way to approach this with AA would be appreciated.

Thanks - RockyMntFlyer
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:54 am
Suspended

What is the date of that cancellation, out of curiosity? Could also be relevant in terms of if a refund would be helpful at all (i.e. can you still get something you want for the same/similar $.)

As to your actual question; those guideline are (at least to me,) very complex with a lot of overlap and intersecting criteria. And, of course, needs to be mentioned that your separate AA ticket to LAX for the purposes intended won't compel them, obviously.

All that said, from my very, very loose understanding of the rules, the fact that you are being changed from a nonstop to connecting flight and the big change in departure time, might be worth pushing a bit further to get on that JL flight. Inventory can be an issue (not sure its supposed to be though) on your deep-discount ticket etc.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Thanks for the advice. I called back, got a different agent. Crazy wait times on the phone though 30 min+ (maybe b/c of the holiday?). Regardless, this agent was able to address my request and shifted us to the LAX-NRT flight on Japan Airlines without issue. I have received my confirmation already. Good to go.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
What is the date of that cancellation, out of curiosity? Could also be relevant in terms of if a refund would be helpful at all (i.e. can you still get something you want for the same/similar $.)

As to your actual question; those guideline are (at least to me,) very complex with a lot of overlap and intersecting criteria. And, of course, needs to be mentioned that your separate AA ticket to LAX for the purposes intended won't compel them, obviously.

All that said, from my very, very loose understanding of the rules, the fact that you are being changed from a nonstop to connecting flight and the big change in departure time, might be worth pushing a bit further to get on that JL flight. Inventory can be an issue (not sure its supposed to be though) on your deep-discount ticket etc.
JDiver, aztimm, JonNYC and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Our mantra in cases like this where your schedule was significantly altered (90 minutes or more at either end, usually, plus you were rerouted to backtrack through DFW) is to HUCA - hang up call again - because agents vary a lot (too much) in their knowledge and desire to assist.

JonNYC is spot on, and from your experience on the second call it’s obvious the first agent blew smoke at you, because the result demonstrates that AA can reroute you - particularly on joint business partner JL (Japan Airlines, which I assume you intended to say when you wrote “JP” - which is Adria Airlines.)
RockyMntFlyer likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 4, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer
Thanks for the advice. I called back, got a different agent. Crazy wait times on the phone though 30 min+ (maybe b/c of the holiday?). Regardless, this agent was able to address my request and shifted us to the LAX-NRT flight on Japan Airlines without issue. I have received my confirmation already. Good to go.

Thanks.
Awesome!
RockyMntFlyer and dciolli like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.