Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Add a Name to a Plane - AA Campaign with Stand Up To Cancer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

AA and Stand Up To Cancer have introduced a very cool campaign for the month of July -- donate $25 or more to Stand Up To Cancer at aa.com/standup, and add the name of someone affected by cancer to an A321 that will be wrapped in a special SU2C design.

AA's press release can be found here.
GlobalMatt and deeruck like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Added my Dad's name to this yesterday. Super awesome that they're doing this and glad they're such loud supporters of SU2C.
atbPy and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I donate yesterday to add my mom's name, pretty cool idea...
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
When I first saw the thread title, I thought they were offering a chance for the internet to name a plane... and I wondered if they learned nothing from the boat. But this is much better.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Most of us have been affected by cancer to some degree. I can’t quite tell but where are the names being featured and is it guaranteed to be up if you donate?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Most of us have been affected by cancer to some degree. I can’t quite tell but where are the names being featured and is it guaranteed to be up if you donate?
DONATE TODAY AND HONOR A LOVED ONE BY ADDING THEIR NAME ONTO AN AMERICAN AIRLINES PLANE!

During the month of July, donate $25 or more to Stand Up To Cancer, and you will have the opportunity to honor a loved one by adding their name onto the American Airlines official Stand Up To Cancer plane. Final plane design (to be revealed later this year) will incorporate names included with these donations, signifying that together, we can soar above cancer. Program is subject to additional terms and conditions below.*

100%100% of your donation received by SU2C will support Stand Up To Cancer's collaborative cancer research programs.

and

*Plane Wrap Donation Terms and Conditions: During the month of July 2019, donate at least $25 to Stand Up To Cancer, and share with us the name of a loved one or other person (the “honoree”) you stand up to cancer for and you can have the opportunity to have the honoree’s name displayed on the American Airlines official Stand Up To Cancer plane. You must have permission from the honoree or from another appropriate party, such as the honoree’s estate or legal guardian, to submit their name. Limit one honoree name per donation. American Airlines reserves the right to reject any name submitted for any reason. American Airlines reserves the right to remove the plane wrap or take the airplane out of commission at any time, in its sole discretion. Valid only on contributions made online at aa.com/standup. Minimum $25 donation required. Donations can only be accepted in U.S. dollars. Donations made in conjunction with the plane wrap program are not refundable for any reason. Read the FAQs for additional terms and conditions.

Link to FAQ
Attached Images  
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
A nice thought, though the print--even if an inch high--is likely to be too small for anyone besides the painting crew to ever read (I doubt the washing and de-icing crews could read it). I suppose a good telephoto lens on an SLR might be able to pick up the text from the waiting area of an airport gate, assuming you knew where to look on an arrow for a name and the airport window was decently clean.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Great initiative, I just donated as well. I fear that the names will be microscopic, but it is the thought that counts (and perhaps AA will email us a photo once it is applied to the plane)
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Love the initiative. I added my brother's name.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: Independent
I am going back and forth on this. Part of me wants to donate, but part of me has a lot of resentment towards these "charities". I wish more money went to supporting the people with cancer than funding research for for profit drug companies that most patients will never be able to obtain. I know that was teh case with my mother - who ended up with $30,000 medicines, and there were some we simply could not get for her.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by javabytes
When I first saw the thread title, I thought they were offering a chance for the internet to name a plane... and I wondered if they learned nothing from the boat. But this is much better.
I might have to donate again and put Planey McPlaneface
bchandler02 and dciolli like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
I added my mom’s name, good cause, cool way to raise money.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Do your research, know who/what you are donating to: https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ary&orgid=3670

So we make a donation to this group, they get money, and AA eats the cost of repainting a plane?
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP / CK June 2018 (4MM - 15 years running) HH Lifetime Diamond
My wife of 29 years, passed early May of this year of Gastric Cancer, and I donated, and also some friends did separately. I will be finding out where the plane is, and make it a point to go see it. Even if I cannot see her name, it will still be special.

When I made CK last May, she immediately wanted to go somewhere to see how it was- we went to Las Vegas that very weekend, and they made it pretty neat.

Might not make CK this year, was basically off the road for the duration, from Diagnosis in November, to late May.

Makes you realize what is important...

Anyone know what tail number it will be?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by CoyoteExecPlatinum
My wife of 29 years, passed early May of this year of Gastric Cancer
I am so sorry for your loss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.