Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redemption flight to be missed due to delays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; TK Elite; Hilton Gold; Radisson Rewards Gold; Marriott Gold Elite

I booked a ARN-MIA return on a AA reservation with a mix of metal. To maximise miles, I put in a couple of stopovers. The first leg went smooth but on the return we had a 3 hr delay in MIA which meant I missed my onward connections - JFK-LHR; LHR-HEL; HEL-ARN... AA rebooked me on JFK-LHR-ARN... fair enough - a few Points lost but still good... Now at JFK there is another delay... all this will mean I will miss my return from ARN which is a reward flight. Is it possible to terminate my trip in London so I can think about how to claim refunds etc while at home base rather than being stranded in Scandinavia?
Any guidance / direction is much appreciated.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Kabeer Mahajan
I booked a ARN-MIA return on a AA reservation with a mix of metal. To maximise miles, I put in a couple of stopovers. The first leg went smooth but on the return we had a 3 hr delay in MIA which meant I missed my onward connections - JFK-LHR; LHR-HEL; HEL-ARN... AA rebooked me on JFK-LHR-ARN... fair enough - a few Points lost but still good... Now at JFK there is another delay... all this will mean I will miss my return from ARN which is a reward flight. Is it possible to terminate my trip in London so I can think about how to claim refunds etc while at home base rather than being stranded in Scandinavia?
You can terminate your trip wherever you wish, but you should tell AA in advance. You booked extra segments to maximize miles, then used miles to get back to LHR?
Didn't it cost you more in miles for the award then you earn from flying LHR-HEL-ARN?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Sure, since there is a delay on your JFK-LHR just tell AA at JFK that this has affected your plans and it's now easier for you to just fly to LHR and not continue on. Due to the delay they can remove the LHR-ARN segment without affecting anything else.

Of course if this is the last segment of your trip, and you don't have any bags, you can just get off at LHR without anything "bad" happening.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; TK Elite; Hilton Gold; Radisson Rewards Gold; Marriott Gold Elite
AA staff at both US airports made it seem like a bigger issue than it was... AA London sorted me out promptly... even got my bags back in less than 30 minutes!
SanDiego1K and thunderlounge like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
You can terminate your trip wherever you wish, but you should tell AA in advance. You booked extra segments to maximize miles, then used miles to get back to LHR?
Didn't it cost you more in miles for the award then you earn from flying LHR-HEL-ARN?
it was about BA tier points rather than out and out miles...
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you claim a refund for the segments you didn't fly on the paid ticket? Or would you perhaps be able to use them on a later date, perhaps in connection with some other exEU ticket?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can you claim a refund for the segments you didn't fly on the paid ticket? Or would you perhaps be able to use them on a later date, perhaps in connection with some other exEU ticket?
i will be speaking to AA later today... I’ll try and see what best I can get...
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

i will be speaking to AA later today... I’ll try and see what best I can get...
Use the term “trip in vain” to define how the concatenated delays affected your trip. (If I have arrangements such as a meeting, event etc. and delays make it impossible for me to participate in that event, the trip is in vain.)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by JDiver
Use the term “trip in vain” to define how the concatenated delays affected your trip.
That will not fly.

Trip in vain is for IROPs while a journey is in progress. The pax can demand a refund and a flight back "home". But home is the start of the journey here. So he would be back in MIA. Would be interesting to see what refund they cough up. 50% or the games where the partial refund is small because the reprices the outbound as one way.

Either way, OP would be back in MIA with at best half is money back and still needing to get home.

One does not need to declare it a trip in vain to say you do not accept the airlines IROP'd schedule. You just need to say no. Reason does not matter. Trip in vain is specifically to say no AND get the return flight home.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by exwannabe
That will not fly.

Trip in vain is for IROPs while a journey is in progress. The pax can demand a refund and a flight back "home". But home is the start of the journey here. So he would be back in MIA. Would be interesting to see what refund they cough up. 50% or the games where the partial refund is small because the reprices the outbound as one way.

Either way, OP would be back in MIA with at best half is money back and still needing to get home.

One does not need to declare it a trip in vain to say you do not accept the airlines IROP'd schedule. You just need to say no. Reason does not matter. Trip in vain is specifically to say no AND get the return flight home.
That’s your version, anyway. I’m still using that term when I’m describing a failed trip due to delays, as I’ve done for decades. Yes, it’s also the phrase for your illustration.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
That’s your version, anyway. I’m still using that term when I’m describing a failed trip due to delays, as I’ve done for decades. Yes, it’s also the phrase for your illustration.
I don't see how it is possible to claim a trip in vain when the sector in issue is the final inbound segment

How can getting back to the origin of the whole journey be in vain at the end of a roundtrip ticket
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You could be coming "home" (for instance in the middle of a long work engagement at the destination) for the sole purpose of attending some special event.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You could be coming "home" (for instance in the middle of a long work engagement at the destination) for the sole purpose of attending some special event.
If he was trying to argue to get back to Miami, that scenario *might* hold, but trying to just miss the last segment and stay in London - cannot see how that works
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:31 am

Maybe try and ask for ORC, as it seems the goal was a TP run. Seems reasonable.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Called AA helpline, told refunds must be processed by a customer relations team that only be reached by email. have fired a long email explaining the scenario... now waiting with fingers crossed... TBH don't really expect much...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.