Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Treated Inappropriately on AA Because of Late Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Treated Inappropriately on AA Because of Late Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The extra day isn't always possible.....and really shouldn't be necessary except in very extreme weather and disasters such as big earthquakes and major volcano eruptions.
Really? So mechanical delays have never affected your ability to make a connecting flight? I misconnect routinely in good weather and in the absence of volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. And in many of those cases, my trip is delayed 24 hours because of flying patterns, hubs and base city.
ksucats and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by wetrat0
ConnectionSaver is a great idea ... and good PR for United too...
I'll be curious to see how this works, and also when it doesn't work. More specifically when it doesn't work. OPs post speaks (to what we all know too well, unfortunately) to how terrible AA (and I would argue U.S. legacy carriers) are when things go wrong. It's one thing to deliver a seamless product or solution/product like "ConnectionSaver" during normal operating conditions, only to watch US carriers flop like LeBron when things start going awry.

Last edited by GlobalMatt; Jun 30, 2019 at 1:58 pm Reason: I can't spell
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
I’ve seen ConnectionSaver at play on 4 of my United flights in the past two weeks and it really works, and creates tremendous good will.

I was on a very delayed EWR-SFO UA flight — the first flight of the day — and 40 passengers were going to miss connections, including 15 people connecting onward to the only SFO-ICN flight of the day. The FA announced mid-flight that they would do all they could do hold the connections. Passengers were a little disbelieving, but when we landed at SFO, they had agents waiting with signs for all the connecting passengers. In all, the ICN fight was held 40 minutes past departure, but landed only 10 minutes late!

While I’ll still fly AA once in a while on direct transcons and internationally, count me in as someone who avoids AA domestically. I simply don’t have the faith that I will get to my destination on time. Also, if there is any kind of IRROP, I doubt that I will be reasonably reaccomodated or be able to speak to an empathic CS agent. (Even as an EXP, my average wait time to reach someone on the EXP desk has been 30-90 minutes.)

Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by g8rluva
I ask agent to let my wife and I on too and she looks at watch and says it is 10 minutes and 1 second. I said you opened the door and let that other woman on and she said she was here at exactly 10 minutes.
What the GA said doesn't add up, literally. If the previous pax was exactly 10 minutes before departure, OP couldn't possibly be 10 minutes and 1 second. Would have to be 9 minutes and 59 seconds or less.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by JonNYC
This was over before it even started. The FA's announcement was preposterous, as others have pointed out, and any and all rudeness you encountered completely inexcusable. But the blame for the lack of flexibility on departure-time guidelines lies much higher up than that GA or any customer-facing folk at the airport.

"Nothing short of termination is acceptable" -- again-- -- if it applies at all, applies to those -running- this goat-rodeo of an airline-- not those working there under the current conditions and damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't dictates.
Agree.

Perhaps: Management has flawed corporate strategies and Management is out of touch with its client/market. Which leads to flawed practices.

Ergo:Results like this.

Auto Enthusiast and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jun 30, 2019 at 7:47 pm
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
very sorry for your loss.

AA treats their employees like crap.

The employees are bitter and miserable.

The employees treat the customers like crap.

In the future, I would use another airline.

While your denied boarding may have technically been appropriate, the employees treatment of you was not.
which airline would you use? While Delta proper is fine, the pilots on Delta’s Asian partners smoke up the cabin, and Air France premium economy (and often business) hard products are worse than BAs.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:32 pm

I've had several flights to the Midwest with connections through CLT and all were late on the eastbound return in arriving at CLT. It reached the point where I am now booking flights with longer connection times in CLT, even though it means my possibly having to sit for an extra hour in CLT.

In other words, any connection in CLT that is under 1 hour should be a no-go....
Spiff, JonNYC, controller1 and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by atbPy
Given that this was the last flight of the day, delaying a few minutes would have zero downsides and would have gained AA a ton of goodwill given your situation.
Though, in some situations it may be true that there are "zero downsides" that just isn't always the case. A few years back I was trying to get back to MSN to say goodbye to my dying grandma. Well in ORD waiting for my flight to MSN a mom and her adult daughter frantically went up to the GA begging to be put on the flight. They too were heading to MSN to a hospitalized family member. They however were booked on Delta and scheduled to go from ???-ORD-MSP-MSN (I am guessing that this crazy itinerary is the best they could get last minute). Their flight from ORD to MSP was delayed and they were going to miss their MSP-MSN flight. Of course, when the delay was issued to the ORD-MSP leg they could have rented a car and drove to MSN in two hours and/or taken a bus but when people are going through tough times it can be hard to think of those solutions in the moment. The AA GA was very kind to these people and patiently explained to them over and over again for 20-30 minutes that she was very sorry but they needed to speak with Delta as she could not just move Delta passengers to AA. They finally went to speak with Delta.

Meanwhile, we boarded the flight and pushed back on time. A few minutes after push back the plane started rolling back towards the gate. The pilot came on and stated that he had been made aware of two passengers that desperately needed to get on the flight and given that no one on the flight had connections that we were going to go back to the gate and help them. The two passengers that were boarded (about 15 minutes after we were back at the door) were the two Delta customers. The resulting delay was about 30 minutes. What AA had done for these two individuals was incredibly kind and generous and I do not fault AA for that. But an assumption was made that it would not hurt anyone else on the flight when in actuality it hurt me terribly. That act of kindness cost me the opportunity to say goodbye to the most important person in my life. I was about 3 minutes too late. I recognized even at the time that AA was really trying to do the right thing, that pilot didn't know that I was also racing home. It is a wonderful thing that they had a heart in this situation but their choice did not have "zero downsides" for me.

My point in sharing this is that it is easy to assume that being generous and helpful to those people that are only a few seconds or even minutes late is the right thing to do but you just never know what it might mean for someone else already sitting on that flight. That experience changed how I see the situation when I am the one standing there with the door to my flight closed and the plane still sitting there. I now can easily understand that there may be someone else sitting on that flight that desperately needs to get where they are going on time. I am not saying that AA should never open the door for someone but just that we need to remember that what might help one person or group of people could be very detrimental to another person or group of people.

Now if the door was closed early, that changes my perspective very quickly and you will see me begging to get on that flight just like almost anyone else would.

To the OP- I am extremely sorry that this happened to you. I'm sorry that you were not treated with compassion by AA staff. They may have had a very good reason why they could not re-open that door for you but they still had the opportunity to show you kindness and compassion after that fact and they obviously failed.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
This is how flying works. Ultimately there is a balance there, where a delay in one part of the system can ricochet far and wide. Leaving 2 minutes late can mean missing a departure slot which causes other pax to miss their connections or the plane to be late on it's next leg. That said, I can't figure out why they can't be less stringent on the last flight of the day, if the plane isn't continuing on to somewhere else.

United's initiative sounds quite promising, and one of the few actual positive developments in flying in recorded memory. In fairness, the article mentions an departure SFO-ICN that arrived "only 10 minutes late" - long-haul routes like that routinely arrive early. The pax who made the connection were doubtless highly relieved, but everybody else had to wait an extra 40 minutes. No system subject to the slings and arrows of weather, complex machines, and fallible people, can optimize every aspect.

I haven't had to use the distressed traveler option in a good 12 years, but my recommendation is that while you're calling, also check Priceline/Hotwire. They may have availability. 12 years ago they could also be cheaper, although I feel like the discount they offer to "street" rates has declined.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Many years back on some airlines they had a connection sheet and knew where the connectors were coming from. Maybe the last flight of the night they will wait but it seems most airlines these days don’t hold for connecting passengers.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
This is how flying works. Ultimately there is a balance there, where a delay in one part of the system can ricochet far and wide. Leaving 2 minutes late can mean missing a departure slot which causes other pax to miss their connections or the plane to be late on it's next leg. That said, I can't figure out why they can't be less stringent on the last flight of the day, if the plane isn't continuing on to somewhere else.
Most of the time, especially on regionals, it is crew rest. Regionals routinely schedule the minimum FAA overnight crew rest period so if the flight arrives late at the overnight that crew's flight the next day will have to be delayed to meet the rules...
writerguyfl, wrp96 and Segments like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by dls25
Most of the time, especially on regionals, it is crew rest. Regionals routinely schedule the minimum FAA overnight crew rest period so if the flight arrives late at the overnight that crew's flight the next day will have to be delayed to meet the rules...
Yet when I flew DCA-ATL regularly on American Eagle my Monday AM flight was 100% of the time delayed 8 minutes from scheduled time for crew rest. Apparently they didn't actually schedule them the whole time or the previous flight was always late. Either way, delaying the first flight of the morning <30 minutes on occasion, assuming no weather or maintenance, isn't going to have the downline impact implied.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Many years back on some airlines they had a connection sheet and knew where the connectors were coming from. Maybe the last flight of the night they will wait but it seems most airlines these days don’t hold for connecting passengers.
Indeed, today they only hold for FlyerTalk status holders.
fotographer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
After reading the op post and the responses, I tend to think most if not all airlines have forgotten that the passengers on the plane are "their" customers,
any other business treating its customers that way would not last long.
Understanding that most of the $$$$ is made under the plane and that seats really dont account for the majority of the airlines cash.. I dont understand why there are not protocols that can be used in the case of passengers arriving late for a connecting
flight, where it was no fault of the passengers.
I have seen this happen in LHR where, when my flight is delayed arriving in to LHR, you will find airport/airline staff waiting for you after you deplane, helping you make it to your next flight (fast track)
been on plenty of BA flights where we have waited for additional arriving passengers that were late , due to no fault of their own.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I thought I was the only FTer that flies in and out of GNV. I'm sorry to learn of this unfortunate situation, #1 (your reason for flying) far worse than #2 (the incident that caused you to post).
I agree with the others above that AA employees are really under extreme pressure to deliver certain KPIs including on-time departures and arrivals. If she let one on, then you and your wife, then another, etc, etc....you know how the story goes. I'd be surprised if she even processed your story. CLT is, in fact, tough to navigage the long distance from B or C to E where all GNV flights are (ex- or arrival).
Your situation is unfortunate and I'm not sure there's much to be said other than just write to AA customer service with your story as above and see if they'll do something. It won't bring the situation back - no do-overs - but maybe some sympathetic eye/ear will at least feel some sense of need to compensate you for your trouble. It likely won't even make you feel better but at least it's something.
I'm so sorry for you in this situation.
enviroian and andrewstahl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.