Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Awards on one PNR?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Multiple Awards on one PNR?

Looking to book US-Europe-Australia on one PNR. I am aware it is multiple awards (two J saver are cheaper than one anytime in J going the other way) - any way to get them on one PNR so I will be protected in case of IRROPS? Website doesn't seem to allow it.

Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Looking to book US-Europe-Australia on one PNR. I am aware it is multiple awards (two J saver are cheaper than one anytime in J going the other way) - any way to get them on one PNR so I will be protected in case of IRROPS? Website doesn't seem to allow it.

Thanks!
Yes you should be able to book it as one PNR. I've done this several times.

When trying to book it at aa.com, are you using the multi-city booking?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Thanks!
All AAdvantage awards are now one-ways. Just as you can have two one-way awards which form a roundtrip placed in a single PNR, so too can you have two one-way awards which don't form a roundtrip placed in a single PNR.

And keep in mind that, since you are booking two awards, you are free to have a lengthy stopover in Europe, if desired.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I am trying to use the multi city booking engine but no luck.

I was originally going to book as two one ways to provide flexibility but then realized that I should book as one PNR to ensure I am protected from IRROPS and also in case they can book baggage all the way through. Does that make sense or should I book as separate PNRs, itinerary would likely be NYC-LON/PAR. and then LON/PAR-UAE-Sydney/Melbourne. Connecting cities depend on availability and taxes. UAE will likely be Abu Dhabi due to good Etihad availability.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was originally going to book as two one ways to provide flexibility but then realized that I should book as one PNR to ensure I am protected from IRROPS and also in case they can book baggage all the way through. Does that make sense or should I book as separate PNRs, itinerary would likely be NYC-LON/PAR. and then LON/PAR-UAE-Sydney/Melbourne. Connecting cities depend on availability and taxes. UAE will likely be Abu Dhabi due to good Etihad availability.
What, exactly, happens when you attempt to book U.S.-Europe as the first flight on the multi-city booking engine, and Europe-Australia (on a subsequent date) as the second flight?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It makes perfect sense to get the awards booked as a through booking rather than 2 separate bookings. You will get the benefits of baggage checked through and protection should you misconnect which you will not get otherwise

If not stopping over, wouldn't it be an easier journey just to fly JFK-AUH if it is available?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
What, exactly, happens when you attempt to book U.S.-Europe as the first flight on the multi-city booking engine, and Europe-Australia (on a subsequent date) as the second flight?
At first, it kept telling me that one of the flights wasn't available but when I booked individually, it would be available. That issue resolved itself in a day or so and now the website goes to the next page where it shows the cost summary and passenger details but then when I click to go to the following page, I get the "This page has taken flight" error. Tried a few browsers and cleared cookies, so it seems to be a website issue. Going to call in.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It makes perfect sense to get the awards booked as a through booking rather than 2 separate bookings. You will get the benefits of baggage checked through and protection should you misconnect which you will not get otherwise

If not stopping over, wouldn't it be an easier journey just to fly JFK-AUH if it is available?
Thanks for the tip - I looked into that but there's no non-stop in J/F and the fees are also much higher. May position into another city to get a premium cabin across the Atlantic since if I do the first leg as CLT/RDU/MIA/ORD to CDG/LHR, then the TATL leg becomes available in J to the connecting European city as opposed to doing US-AUH/AUH-Melbourne which then won't provide a premium cabin TATL. I've got it down to 142,500 miles and $69.20 in J all the way (instead of 375K miles going the other way through LAX).

Am going to call to get it booked.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Nevermind
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At first, it kept telling me that one of the flights wasn't available but when I booked individually, it would be available. That issue resolved itself in a day or so and now the website goes to the next page where it shows the cost summary and passenger details but then when I click to go to the following page, I get the "This page has taken flight" error. Tried a few browsers and cleared cookies, so it seems to be a website issue. Going to call in.

Thanks for the tip - I looked into that but there's no non-stop in J/F and the fees are also much higher. May position into another city to get a premium cabin across the Atlantic since if I do the first leg as CLT/RDU/MIA/ORD to CDG/LHR, then the TATL leg becomes available in J to the connecting European city as opposed to doing US-AUH/AUH-Melbourne which then won't provide a premium cabin TATL. I've got it down to 142,500 miles and $69.20 in J all the way (instead of 375K miles going the other way through LAX).

Am going to call to get it booked.
I hope that you weren't putting in your intended connecting points in the multi-city booking engine. So, for example, on the second line of the search engine, you should just be entering, say, CDG-SYD. The search engine should then produce available award routings -- if there is availability. If you search segment by segment, you might run into a "married segment" availability problem.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:26 am
Original Poster

I hope that you weren't putting in your intended connecting points in the multi-city booking engine. So, for example, on the second line of the search engine, you should just be entering, say, CDG-SYD. The search engine should then produce available award routings -- if there is availability. If you search segment by segment, you might run into a "married segment" availability problem.
Correct - line 1 would be ORD-CDG and line 2 CDG-SYD. The system routes me through PHL to get to CDG and through AUH to get to SYD, all of which is fine with decent layovers.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Easier, yes. But slightly more miles -- at least in Business Class.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Easier, yes. But slightly more miles -- at least in Business Class.
And no J availability on TATL when doing it that way.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I just played around with a few dates for a dummy multi-city booking of RDU-LHR + LHR-SYD and get the same error. Summary page just after selecting flights shows up fine, then you click Continue and get the "this page must have taken flight" error page.

Last year I booked RDU-LHR-AUH-HKT as a single PNR award ticket (before you could book EY awards at aa.com). I just tried a dummy booking of that as well and got the same error, so it's definitely an aa.com issue. Should be no problem to book, just need to call AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.