Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HNL MCT AA connect to Hawaiian (intra-island, separate tickets)

Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Dear FTers

I'll be flying from LAX to HNL with AA and connecting at HNL to a Hawaiian flight to Lanai.

I am wondering if 2 hours connection time is enough (I hope so) - and by any chance, is AA interlining to HA?

There would be a flight back from Lanai to HNL giving as connection of 1 hours but even myself (who stays in every lounge until the last minute) thinks that's too short.

Many thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Did you buy a through ticket or separate tickets? If a through ticket, then of course AA will tag your bag all the way to LNY. HA will do the same at LNY on your return. 1 hour is plenty to make this connection. Maximum 10 minute walk between the AA and HA gates. Assuming you bought a through-ticket, AA won't even sell it to you if it violates MCT, so I'm not sure why you're worried about MCT. If separate tickets, it's a completely different story.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Did you buy a through ticket or separate tickets? If a through ticket, then of course AA will tag your bag all the way to LNY. HA will do the same at LNY on your return. 1 hour is plenty to make this connection. Maximum 10 minute walk between the AA and HA gates. Assuming you bought a through-ticket, AA won't even sell it to you if it violates MCT, so I'm not sure why you're worried about MCT. If separate tickets, it's a completely different story.
Unfortunately on separate tickets - we initially thought to stay in Honolulu, but decided to go straight to LNY. So I have got AA tickets but will buy a separate HA ticket.
Any chance for interlining though?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Unfortunately on separate tickets - we initially thought to stay in Honolulu, but decided to go straight to LNY. So I have got AA tickets but will buy a separate HA ticket.
Most unlikely
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Yikes, then nope, neither AA nor HA will interline. Two hours would be the bare minimum to claim your AA bags, haul them to HA, then check in. If on the return you only have one hour to do this, that's most definitely not enough time.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Since you are on separate tickets you will have to reclaim your bags and then walk to the inter-island terminal to recheck (probably about a 7-8 minute walk). AA used to interline bags onto separately booked Hawaiian tickets but they quit that years ago. It is still worth asking the AA agent at check-in but everytime I’ve asked over the last 3 or so years it has always been a hard no and that’s as an executive platinum traveling with 1 bag in first class on AA and connecting to first class on Hawaiian LOL.

I do a DFW-HNL-KOA connection from AA to Hawaiian 4-5 times a year when the nonstop DFW-KOA isn’t running. I almost always book separate tickets due to the insane price difference one can encounter when bundling them together on one ticket. When I book, I aim for a 3 hour layover but your 2 hours should be fine as long as you are on time. I would suggest checking in for your Hawaiian/Ohana flight 24 hours out and printing out your boarding passes for that flight. Also, hopefully you have TSA precheck and can enter that into your Hawaiian reservation because the inter-island security line can sometimes get brutal in the afternoons. In terms of your return flight, a 1 hour connection on separate tickets with checked bags would be pretty much impossible.

Also, unless you’re visiting family or friends, I assume you’re going to the Four Seasons Lanai? You may already be aware but there is a Four Seasons Lanai lounge at HNL airport. I don’t know if you’ll have time to enjoy it but it’s nice and they can even check you into your room there. Have a fun trip and hopefully everything works out ok for you.
Antarius and Duck1981 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smuDC-10

Also, unless you’re visiting family or friends, I assume you’re going to the Four Seasons Lanai? You may already be aware but there is a Four Seasons Lanai lounge at HNL airport. I don’t know if you’ll have time to enjoy it but it’s nice and they can even check you into your room there. Have a fun trip and hopefully everything works out ok for you.
You got it Ok thanks no problem I'll plan in more time then. Me and my wife never had any problems to kill 2-3 hours in a lounge!

I know they also to the private charter flights but tbh I spend the 700 USD in the Nobu in Lanai instead

Many thanks for your extensive reply!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
AA will not through check bags on separate AA tickets. There is close to a 0% chance they would send it to HA.

Definitely take the longer connection. Have a good trip.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:42 am

Three hours is what I would advise and have booked. I have been able to get my bags thru checked on HA after the inter line embargo (on separate tickets) but I wouldn’t count on it.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Quick update: So I told my wife all your kind replies and - despite being normally the one holding the bucks together- she has suggested to choose the ‚private‘ Lanai charter saving us a few hours; given the difference of $600.

Good wife

Antarius and GlobalMatt like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.