Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When will AA Upgrade the Award Search Tool With Partners?

Old Jun 27, 19, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM

When you try to book an international Award with partner airlines to a destination AA does not fly to, you have limited ability to see flights. You can see some BA and CX, but not a wide variety. UA has a much better tool to find other Star Alliance flight's available. You have to call AA for so much (far too much) partner availability. Besides being frustrating, it ties up agent time. When will AA give a full Award availability search tool?
Old Jun 27, 19, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Partner awards cost AA money. They'd rather you just book an AAnytime on aa.com

The good news is now that you know, you potentially have a much better shot of getting a nice seat since not everyone can see it right on aa.com
GWFan and sdsearch like this.
Old Jun 27, 19, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You can use the BA search tool for most partner airlines - etihadguest.com is good for Etihad award searches
Old Jun 27, 19, 10:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It’s pretty much useless speculation to ask when AA will have a great Award Search tool, because the answer may well be “never”. AA is running in a very old system with layers over layers of enhancements and improvements. AA had an agreement with H-P to develop s new PSS (to be called Jetstream), but that ended with bankruptcy and Doug Parker’s choice to migrate everything to Sabre, the existing AA PSS.

In the meantime, the Wikipost in this thread documents a lot of information related to searching for AAdvantage awards. HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
Old Jun 28, 19, 4:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
and dont forget when you are looking for a J saver award, be careful, you may find the exact flights you are looking for,
only to see that nasty footnote that not all segments are in J, in very tiny letters and when you actually look at the entire trip.. all the long hauls are in coach UGHHHHHH
Old Jun 28, 19, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by TonyBurr View Post
When you try to book an international Award with partner airlines to a destination AA does not fly to, you have limited ability to see flights. You can see some BA and CX, but not a wide variety. UA has a much better tool to find other Star Alliance flight's available. You have to call AA for so much (far too much) partner availability. Besides being frustrating, it ties up agent time. When will AA give a full Award availability search tool?
Is that a typo or have you really ticketed CX online? It's not one of the 16 they list. https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
Old Jun 28, 19, 7:26 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
and dont forget when you are looking for a J saver award, be careful, you may find the exact flights you are looking for,
only to see that nasty footnote that not all segments are in J, in very tiny letters and when you actually look at the entire trip.. all the long hauls are in coach UGHHHHHH
Not sure if it's because I'm originating in Chicago, but I'm seeing this less and less when searching for awards (minus those wonderful phantom awards on IB).
seigex likes this.
Old Jun 28, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman View Post
Not sure if it's because I'm originating in Chicago, but I'm seeing this less and less when searching for awards (minus those wonderful phantom awards on IB).
What are phantom awards on IB?
Old Jun 28, 19, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bscooter26 View Post
What are phantom awards on IB?
Flights that show up in search results as available, but really aren’t, and they error when you try to book.
dantheflyingman and Clay_C. like this.
Old Jun 29, 19, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, United, Marriott
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post

Flights that show up in search results as available, but really aren’t, and they error when you try to book.
I am not even getting that. I just looked for IB availability from ORD to MAD for the first time in a few months and I am shaken to my core by what I saw.
Old Jun 29, 19, 3:52 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Clay_C. View Post
I am not even getting that. I just looked for IB availability from ORD to MAD for the first time in a few months and I am shaken to my core by what I saw.
Indeed one must be of stout mind simply to avoid looking away when the overwhelmingly grey availability saver award screens start rendering.
Old Jun 30, 19, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT
With IB flying 359s and only 7x weekly even in summer, the glut of seats ex-ORD that used to be available no longer exists.
Old Sep 14, 19, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, United, Marriott
Originally Posted by linglingfool View Post
With IB flying 359s and only 7x weekly even in summer, the glut of seats ex-ORD that used to be available no longer exists.
Glad to say I am able to locate a few seats here and there, but you are right...it is nothing like it was just a few years ago.
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Glad to say I am able to locate a few seats here and there, but you are right...it is nothing like it was just a few years ago.
It is still somewhat better when booking directly with IB using Avios, but yes, what used to be a reliable option is basically gone.

I've given up on trying to book premium cabin TATL awards on OW ex-ORD. Stopping over in CLT or PHL is lousy eastbound since it leaves no time to sleep, and the nonstop longhauls are either on BA or a tiny AA 788 cabin that never has any availability. Shame to see the flying decimated from just a few years ago, but AA has made it clear their ORD flying is LHR + popular seasonal leisure destinations.
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I have to admit, with how scarce award availability is, I selfishly like that many partners are not easily searchable on AA.com. Having to go to EF, BA.com, etc. weeds out competition.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: