FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   How do I manage this? (Separate ticket AA TUS-PHX to BA PHX-LHR) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1975609-how-do-i-manage-separate-ticket-aa-tus-phx-ba-phx-lhr.html)

Chisy Jun 25, 2019 4:14 pm

How do I manage this? (Separate ticket AA TUS-PHX to BA PHX-LHR)

I have an upcoming flight from PHX to LHR on BA. Final destination is BCN using BA. The airfare is part of an inclusive cruise package with Regent and is only a one-way ticket. Instead of driving to PHX from my home city, I purchased separately a ticket on AA from TUS to PHX to catch the BA flight. I really would like not having to exit the terminal in PHX (terminal 5) to claim my luggage, haul it upstaisr to check-in with BA and go through security again (terminal 5).
Question: Does anyone know whether AA would be able to tag my luggage to my final destination? I know they codeshare on flights.

aztimm Jun 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

AA and BA are both in T4 at PHX. Unless there's been very recent construction, there is no Terminal 5 at PHX.

That said, with separate tickets, it is doubtful AA at TUS will check your bag beyond PHX. There is a slight chance you may get a friendly agent who will bend the rules, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Due to the size of T4 at PHX, I'd plan at minimum of 90 minutes (I'd feel more comfortable with 2 hours) to go through this process. As you stated, you'll have to claim your bag in the basement, then go up a level to re-check at the BA counter, then re-clear security. The last time I flew on BA, they didn't participate in TSA Precheck so I'm not sure if that will help,

UKtravelbear Jun 25, 2019 5:35 pm

BA have been part of TSA Pre since April / May 2018 - as long as your KTN is in the booking of course.

You will also need to have dropped your bags in with BA by 60 mins before departure so be aware of that in the almost certain circumstance that AA won't check your bags through on separate bookings - remember it's not their policy to do that.

Assuming your PHX-LHR-BCN is all on one ticket then you won't have to collect your bags at LHR as they will be checked through to BCN. If LHR-BCN is a separate booking then again it is very, very unlikely BA would check then through (again it's BA policy not to check through on separate bookings) so you'd have to collect them and then re-check them at LHR

Chisy Jun 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Thanks for the information. We arrive at Terminal 5 in LHR, mixed up the terminals at the airports. I did scheduled our TUS to PHX with a 5 hour layover in PHX, just to be on the safe.

aztimm Jun 25, 2019 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Chisy (Post 31239693)
... I did scheduled our TUS to PHX with a 5 hour layover in PHX, just to be on the safe.

With 5 hours at PHX, you should certainly have plenty of time. So long as nothing drastic happens. Certainly plenty to explore the airport.
Do you have status on AA? You might have lounge access if you're AA Plat or higher.

sudobuntu Jun 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Chisy (Post 31239693)
I did scheduled our TUS to PHX with a 5 hour layover in PHX, just to be on the safe.

At least with that much time you can just drive up to PHX if after 2 hours you're still in TUS due to a delay.

Chisy Jun 25, 2019 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 31239717)
With 5 hours at PHX, you should certainly have plenty of time. So long as nothing drastic happens. Certainly plenty to explore the airport.
Do you have status on AA? You might have lounge access if you're AA Plat or higher.

I am a Admiral Club member so have lounge access. Have been to PHX many times.

bo94114 Jun 25, 2019 6:20 pm

It can not hurt to try. Present both tickets. The worst that can happen is they say no. Make sure to check the bag tag to see where they checked it. The BA counter I believe opens 3 hours prior to departure.

Centurion Jun 25, 2019 7:38 pm

Your going to be in an admirals club anyhow if BA does not finish the remodel of their phx lounge. It is on the 2nd flr of the of the high number B terminals and shares the 2nd flr with a Airspace lounge and Centurion. But last time I was up there the BA lounge directed you to Admirals club which are the lower number b gates

C17PSGR Jun 25, 2019 8:07 pm

With five hours, you should be able to check your bags and then Uber to Tempe for a nice meal before your flight.