Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
What other options are there now....AMEX Centurion?

Why would Citi do this?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by enviroian
What other options are there now....AMEX Centurion?
Seems like AMEX would be the way to go.

Why would Citi do this?
Citi continuously evaluates our products to ensure that associated benefits best meet the needs of our customers. Due to sustained low usage, we will no longer offer select credit card benefits such as Citi Price Rewind and Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection as of September 22, 2019 so that we can continue providing key benefits our customers use and value most at no additional cost.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bscooter26
Citi continuously evaluates our products to ensure that associated benefits best meet the needs of our customers. Due to sustained low usage, we will no longer offer select credit card benefits such as Citi Price Rewind and Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection as of September 22, 2019 so that we can continue providing key benefits our customers use and value most at no additional cost.
Makes no sense. If it was so rarely used then the cost to Citi should have been minimal. Like any insurance, the mere fact that you have it is valuable, even if you don't use it or only rarely use it.

I'll probably keep the card anyway, because I and three adult family members get AC access through it. But I certainly won't charge any travel on it except AA tickets, and maybe not even those if I can get a different card that has the same travel benefits as this one.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by bscooter26
Seems like AMEX would be the way to go.

The only issue is that AMEX is not as widely accepted outside of the USA. Therefore many of us will need to look for a Visa/MC option to fill this gap. CSR comes to mind but I need to look into it more.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by bchandler02
The only issue is that AMEX is not as widely accepted outside of the USA. Therefore many of us will need to look for a Visa/MC option to fill this gap. CSR comes to mind but I need to look into it more.
Chase Sapphire Reserve is the one I considered switching to about 6 mos. ago, but ended up sticking with the Citi AA Executive MC. Will have to revisit that one as well as my brother has it and loves it
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by bchandler02
No mention of the Citi AA Exec card...
Nope it includes, I actually posted about this before this thread in the Citi Platinum Benefits because I was not sure whether posting about this in own thread was ok in the AA Forum.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Austin787
Fewer reasons to apply for AAdvantage credit card. Good luck to AA getting passengers to apply after hearing the credit card pitch. And good luck to Citi convincing people to pay annual fees for credit cards which will offer fewer benefits.
I think people will still apply after hearing the pitch. What Flyertalkers seem to forget is that most people on here are not “the average flyer”. The average flyer isn’t trying to get an AA Citi card for ANY of the benefits being gutted. They are getting it for the bonus miles that they will use to visit grandma twice this year instead of once. They will happily spend 12,500 miles each way to fly MIA to ATL RT when cash prices are less than $200 RT.

Heck, I am a frequent flyer, have multiple AA Citi cards and don’t place much value on any of these benefits. Never even considered them when getting the cards.
asnovici, GTITAN, Robl and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
Ouch. Seems like benefits all around are being cut. What other cards offer Trip Delay/Cancellation?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by rumboj

I think people will still apply after hearing the pitch. What Flyertalkers seem to forget is that most people on here are not “the average flyer”. The average flyer isn’t trying to get an AA Citi card for ANY of the benefits being gutted. They are getting it for the bonus miles that they will use to visit grandma twice this year instead of once. They will happily spend 12,500 miles each way to fly MIA to ATL RT when cash prices are less than $200 RT.

Heck, I am a frequent flyer, have multiple AA Citi cards and don’t place much value on any of these benefits. Never even considered them when getting the cards.
I agree with the cards that are "cheaper" such as Mile Up and the PLT card. The type of consumer that will spend $450 a year on a card like the AA Cit Ex MC may be a tad more discerning. YMMV of course.

Safe Travels
fotoflyer88 and rumboj like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by jacca83
Ouch. Seems like benefits all around are being cut. What other cards offer Trip Delay/Cancellation?
When I was flying UA, Chase had an almost identical card to the Citi Executive up to and including UA membership included.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by jacca83
The Barclay card does but requires a delay of 6 hours.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Darn. I mainly have the card for admirals club access, but the insurance (which I have ever needed to use) definitely gives me peace of mind. I have recently been booking all of my travel with this card. I guess I will find another one for my primary travel and then decide next spring when it comes time to renew this one if it is worth the hefty fee just for the admirals club access.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by GTITAN
I agree with the cards that are "cheaper" such as Mile Up and the PLT card. The type of consumer that will spend $450 a year on a card like the AA Cit Ex MC may be a tad more discerning. YMMV of course.

Safe Travels
Good point. I was focusing on the lower level cards as well because that is what most people hearing the pitch on the plane apply for. I once had the AA Citi Ex MC but alas our relationship was short-lived. We got divorced after less than 2 months. As part of the settlement, I kept the 75,000 bonus miles and Citi got nothing since they refunded the annual fee to the card because it was closed so quickly.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
The Barclay card does but requires a delay of 6 hours.
The same for the Citi Executive. Initially it was 3 hours but a year or two ago, it was pushed to 6 hours.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:31 am
Suspended

Well, this totally blows. Over the past week, I dumped the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (which I love) and moved all spending over to the AA Executive Card. We mainly have it for the AA Lounge use, but seriously, I'm going to pay $450/year and all these benefits are being taken away. I suppose I'll be searching for a new card, but doubtful I'll find one that allows AA Lounge Access. Frustrating.
onanisland likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.