Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
Originally Posted by 3sgtekb

from the quoted tpg article in the op post, “As of publish, we haven’t found a Citi card that doesn’t show a message noting removed benefits when you log-in to your account online.”
I have the Citi Exec card and got the pop up message.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by airmarc
Interesting, I did not. Just logged in this morning when I saw this. If I do, it's gone though. These benefits are part of how I justify the annual fee.

Just logged in again from a different PC and still no pop up, no notice anywhere, and no note on my last statement. Also logged into mobile app - nothing there either.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by airmarc
Same here. The exec MC is definitely affected too.

I have the Costco card too and the pop-up when logged in there is "Effective September 22, 2019, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection and Citi® Price Rewind will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. " That still leaves the car rental insurance, roadside assistance, travel accident insurance, damage and theft protection, and extended warranty. Not as drastic of a gutting. Given the big deal that Costco's switch from Amex to Citi was I can't imagine Costco would let them go as far as AA has. I wonder what AA got in return for this.

To me the loss of the trip protection tops the list. I've only had to use it twice, but it did provide a nice peace of mind particularly when flying AA through DFW.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:13 am

Probably related to changes introduced by Mastercard itself? :
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/cred...e-cardholders/

Many Mastercard credit cardholders in the U.S. are getting a fleet of new benefits, most of which start April 16, 2019, in partnership with major digital brands such as Lyft, Postmates, Fandango and more.
What to keep in mind - Some benefits are going away
With these changes, Mastercard is also ditching extended warranty and price protection beginning July 1. (Issuers may opt to retain these benefits themselves, according to Mastercard.)
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Is Doug Parker leading Citi now too?
No, instead they have Michael Corbat who's probably worse.
767-322ETOPS likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AA-ExPlat, Hilton-Diamond
Interesting, I did not. Just logged in this morning when I saw this. If I do, it's gone though. These benefits are part of how I justify the annual fee.

Just logged in again from a different PC and still no pop up, no notice anywhere, and no note on my last statement. Also logged into mobile app - nothing there either.
I got it after I clicked on "card benefits" under the "Rewards & Benefits" heading from my Executive card account page.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Jesus, both AA cards are going to be murdered within the same year. Ugh.
Which other card are you referring to? An AMEX? Just curious, so I can avoid that one. Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
well I guess the only real benefit is the $475 reduced membership fee for the Admirals Club. I used the travel delay and cancellation insurance before and it was a great benefit.
flyerbobflyer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by PackRugby
I got it after I clicked on "card benefits" under the "Rewards & Benefits" heading from my Executive card account page.
That did it. Way to bury it.

These are huge losses. What a load of crap.

My renewal is end of September, so this is perfect timing. Guess I'll take a look at Barclay and see if they offer anything decent, or I may just jump ship completely to some other card.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Fewer reasons to apply for AAdvantage credit card. Good luck to AA getting passengers to apply after hearing the credit card pitch. And good luck to Citi convincing people to pay annual fees for credit cards which will offer fewer benefits.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No mention of the Citi AA Exec card...
Originally Posted by joe_miami
All of them.
Originally Posted by joe_miami

All of them.
All of them.

Citi benefits cuts coming as of September 22, 2019

For purchases as of September 22, 2019, Citi will be discontinuing the following on cards that currently offer these perks:

Worldwide Car Rental Insurance
Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection
Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance
Trip Delay Protection
Baggage Delay Protection
Lost Baggage Protection
Citi Price Rewind
90 Day Return Protection
Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service
Travel & Emergency Assistance
The coverage will remain for purchases made before that date, with the exception of roadside assistance and travel & emergency assistance. Those benefits will end as of that date, regardless of when you made your purchase

OMAT link

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 25, 2019 at 9:36 am
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Its ALL of the cards. I've written to AA and called Citi - both will have a harder time keeping me as a customer now.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by genotonda
Which other card are you referring to? An AMEX? Just curious, so I can avoid that one. Thanks!
The Barclay-issued AA Mastercard...
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by genotonda
As the poster above me noted, the Barclays Aviator Red and Silver benefits were neutered this past May.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Exp
So basically the only travel benefit you will get out of the Citi AA Exec Mastercard if you are already an AA elite is the AC access and the purchase miles. Great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.