Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by donotblink
I would like to know more about the Chase Sapphire Preserve! Does it come in strawberry? That's my favorite type of preserve!
No, Chase Sapphire Preserve is exclusively blueberry. For strawberry you want the Chase Ruby Preserve.
GTITAN, salut0, lupine and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I have a whole bunch of personal car rentals in the fall that I had reserved with the Exec MasterCard just for the WW auto insurance. I guess as the cut off is Sept 22, I could in theory pre pay the rentals and be covered. I used the card to pay for all my flights, so I should still have the trip insurance.

I used to hammer the card a lot to get the 10K EQMs at $40K, but I travel a little more these days so don’t need the EQM and AA awards have been devalued so much, that I don’t care about accruing miles these days. I would have been lucky to put more than $1K on it last year and that included the $450 annual fee. The Costco card gets most of my spend these days to generate an annual cash back check. It will be interesting to see how long before the bennies on that card get eroded.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I have a whole bunch of personal car rentals in the fall that I had reserved with the Exec MasterCard just for the WW auto insurance. I guess as the cut off is Sept 22, I could in theory pre pay the rentals and be covered. I used the card to pay for all my flights, so I should still have the trip insurance.
Why not switch the credit cards on the reservation to a card that includes rental car coverage, assuming the rental is not already pre-paid.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by enviroian
I was completely unaware of this. I will check out the travel benefits on their website. I've had an amex cold car for 32 years and haven't used it in a few but still keep in active. I wonder if the onetime fee is waived since i"m already an AMEX member.
What onetime fee? There's only an annual fee for the Amex Plat. See (google) if you qualify for 100,000 or so points signup bonus.

Next I will see if DL and AMEX Centurion are at DFW (I believe so).
Yes on both.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by freeagent
Why not switch the credit cards on the reservation to a card that includes rental car coverage, assuming the rental is not already pre-paid.
for international car rental coverage on the Exec card, there is a requirement that all, or part of your trip was charged to the card. In my case, I booked both my international flights on the card. If my other cards that do still offer car rental insurance (and one of those charges foreign exchange fees so I wont be using that one) have the same stipulation, then I wont have coverage. I can either dig through their T&Cs, or pre-pay the rental on the Exec card prior to Sept 22.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
As the poster above me noted, the Barclays Aviator Red and Silver benefits were neutered this past May.
Ah that's right. And I have the silver. So much for avoiding it. Lol. I did get upgraded late enough though, that I had one more year of being able to get 6k EQD after 50k spend.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The car rental coverage is a huge deval.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I don't have any of these cards, but it seems more generic to MC World/World Elite. Some of the benefits are nice; I don't ever remember filing a travel interruption claim - but I would never use a card to rent a car that didn't have rental car protection. I've used that probably close to a half-dozen times over the years.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
Originally Posted by freeagent

A point of clarification on access to Delta SkyClubs is that you must be a same day ticketed passenger on Delta to get Sky Club access.
By this fall, that effectively will be true and required of any of the big "US3" airlines (AA,DL,UA) whether using paid membership or credit card access.
Perhaps the real point of clarification is that SkyClub access via Amex Platinum does NOT include any guests. They're $29/visit extra. Even the regular SkyClub memberships have this limitation, you need a more expensive membership to include guests.
You DO have a guest allowance to Centurion Clubs (2 guests OR immediate family) and Priority Pass lounges (1 guest I think).
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
The car rental coverage is a huge deval.
Somehow I missed that too. Yikes, that's crazy. But again, all my car rentals go on the Amex Platinum which I think has better-than-average coverage limits. Yes it's secondary coverage, but I don't own a car, so for me it's primary coverage.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:11 pm

My guess is that all of these credit card devaluations are a direct result of AAdvantage devaluations. The credit card issuers can see which way the wind is blowing, and anticipate declining mile card revenue.

Last edited by SouthernCross; Jun 25, 2019 at 9:20 pm
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SouthernCross
My guess is that all of these credit card devaluations are a direct result of AAdvantage devaluations. The credit card issuers can see which way the wind is blowing, and anticipate declining mile card revenue.
Is the CEO of Citi Dave Parker ?
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SouthernCross
My guess is that all of these credit card devaluations are a direct result of AAdvantage devaluations. The credit card issuers see which way the wind is blowing, and anticipate declining mile card revenue.
There are people with 10+ Citi AA cards, each with a ~60,000-mile bonus, so Citi can't be too worried about AA miles or the profitability thereof.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:28 pm

This sucks. I have the used the Citi Price rewind on both my AA Exec card and Costco, probably netted $500 over the past 3 years. The trip insurance sure provided some flexibility with flights where you just say eff it, I don't care about the ticket change fees knowing it will be covered by my credit card. Losing CDW sucks too. Hopefully someone will step up. I will keep the Exec card until they cancel the lounge access.

I wonder if one reason the trip insurance is going away is so that AA can sell more of the lousy Allianz trip insurance. I bought it once when my father was ill and it seemed like as soon as I completed one medical form, that they would ask for another. I eventually gave up, called AA and explained the situation, and AA kindly refunded my change fees.

Neil
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
All Chase Ink and Sapphire cards with AF continue to offer such benefits - hope they do not follow Citi's race to the bottom.

AMEX may just survive the attack on its premium card business.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.