Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHX-LHR - BA or AA for Economy Class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

PHX-LHR - BA or AA for Economy Class

With the new AA flight to LHR, which is the better option for economy class? I see the AA is a 777-200 vs the 747-400. I'll be in cattle class so which has a better seating option?

What's the best way to upgrade if possible?

I'm Gold on AA if that matters.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
One thing to consider is AA still allows you to pick your seats in advance for free, BA does not. I made that mistake a few years ago and found out after booking that it would cost me an extra $250 per person to pick out seats from EWR to LHR to AMS. We were in biz class and opted to save the money since we knew the long haul seats would be lie flats and we mostly planned to sleep on the TA leg.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
I'd go with AA, you have an opportunity to get free MCE at check in, if upgrading doesn't work out for you.
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by billsinaz
With the new AA flight to LHR, which is the better option for economy class? I see the AA is a 777-200 vs the 747-400. I'll be in cattle class so which has a better seating option?

What's the best way to upgrade if possible?

I'm Gold on AA if that matters.
Honestly, they are both the same, economy is economy.

As AA GLD, your only chance to upgrade is for 25,000 miles + $350. As AA GLD, you will be at the bottom of the list for upgrades, and I'd say your chances are 0.1%

With BA you can choose seats up to 7 days in advance as OW Ruby.
BA can offer upgrades for cash at the airport. It will be to WTP+ (Premium Economy) probably $350 or more each way if offered.

With AA you will probably be able to pick a MCE seat at T-24, so that for me is the only advantage AA has over BA.
I'd go with AA just because of the possibility of getting an MCE seat.
jediwisdom likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:43 pm

In the old days picking Prem Econ was good choice on PHX to LHR as it was just a few rows and it often oversold and they would bump you into CW.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
This is being discussed here on the BA forum now.

I recommend BA rather than AA, and I say that as a flyer who consistently favored AA from the days of MRTC.

But since MCE 3-3-3 on AA’s 777 was replaced by PE 2-4-2 at a significantly higher ticket price, the comparison now rests on soft not hard product (except for the fact that BA hard product beats AA hard product because they still have 3-3-3 seating in economy on their 777s). BA’s cabin service far outstrips AA’s.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Honestly, they are both the same, economy is economy.

With AA you will probably be able to pick a MCE seat at T-24, so that for me is the only advantage AA has over BA.
I'd go with AA just because of the possibility of getting an MCE seat.
Economy isn’t the same on both airlines. AA transatlantic economy has worse service and, at least on the 777s, more uncomfortable and narrower seats.

Now that MCE isn’t its own 3-3-3 section, the seats are nothing special.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by salut0

Economy isn’t the same on both airlines. AA transatlantic economy has worse service and, at least on the 777s, more uncomfortable and narrower seats.

Now that MCE isn’t its own 3-3-3 section, the seats are nothing special.
Don't the MCE seats still offer 34" pitch? For those of us who are tall but not wide, that's a big deal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.