Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What Food to Expect? (LHR-PHX daytime Business)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi All,

We're flying LHR to PHX soon, which departs at 9:30am and is an 11 hour flight.

This is my first AA business class flight and we're really looking forward to it.

My question is... What food will we get? Breakfast and lunch?

Cheers
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I believe that will be a 772 aircraft. Very nice J cabin. You'll get a lunch shortly served after takeoff. Keep in mind you can pre-order lunch online so make sure you do that to avoid any chance of not getting your first choice. About an hour before landing should be a "snack" that will be a light meal--sandwich, panini, flatbread type of meal.

ETA I just noticed OP said their flight leaves at 9:30 AM. I've never taken such an early AA flight in J out of LHR before so this MAY be a breakfast service....
eugegall likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
I believe that will be a 772 aircraft. Very nice J cabin. You'll get a lunch shortly served after takeoff. Keep in mind you can pre-order lunch online so make sure you do that to avoid any chance of not getting your first choice. About an hour before landing should be a "snack" that will be a light meal--sandwich, panini, flatbread type of meal.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes I believe its the 772 on this route. Am I right in thinking this is the modern J cabin with fixed screen IFE?

Instead of the one forward/one backward J?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by eugegall
Thanks for your reply.

Yes I believe its the 772 on this route. Am I right in thinking this is the modern J cabin with fixed screen IFE?

Take a look at the seat map on aa.com or seatguru.com is also another source (although the info there can be a bit stale).
eugegall likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Thanks for your reply.

I believe these are the zodiac seats. I flew the 772 from RDU-LHR last fall. The IFE screen pops out to you from the side. The seats are very comfy and as 6'1" tall man I had no problem sleeping fully extended.
eugegall likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
I think it will be lunch rather than breakfast. If/when you are within one month of departure, you can choose your meal online in the booking. That should give you a clue.

As for the seat type, I believe it is pot-luck as to which you will get. Close to the date the seat-map should show front/back if that is what you are getting.
eugegall and JDiver like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tjcxx
I think it will be lunch rather than breakfast. If/when you are within one month of departure, you can choose your meal online in the booking. That should give you a clue.

As for the seat type, I believe it is pot-luck as to which you will get. Close to the date the seat-map should show front/back if that is what you are getting.
Just checked and the J seats go back to row 10. Front cabin up to row 6 and then mini cabin of 7 to 10.

Also its lunch and I have just selected our meals.

I hope they don't serve them straight away given we take off at 9:30am.

Thanks again all.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
They'll serve it as soon as practical after takeoff. Consider that stated departure time is 9:30, it's probably at least 9:45 before it's 'wheels-up,' which probably means around 10:30am before food actually gets served to you. They definitely won't delay meal service just to make it closer to lunchtime.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Hi All,

We're flying LHR to PHX soon, which departs at 9:30am and is an 11 hour flight.

This is my first AA business class flight and we're really looking forward to it.

My question is... What food will we get? Breakfast and lunch?

Cheers
I would focus on the food offerings in the various OneWorld lounges available to you at LHR T3 by virtue of flying in the business cabin. You don’t have to stick with just the Admirals Club. Onboard catering TATL can be less glamorous than the bloggy types make it out to be (ie LH F catering will differ greatly from AA’s J meals).
eugegall likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
l.
Originally Posted by Steve M
They'll serve it as soon as practical after takeoff. Consider that stated departure time is 9:30, it's probably at least 9:45 before it's 'wheels-up,' which probably means around 10:30am before food actually gets served to you. They definitely won't delay meal service just to make it closer to lunchtime.

For other flights in J and F, in and out of LHR, my recollection is that they do a beverage service first. Then the meal service.

I think it will be lunch time when food arrives.
JDiver and eugegall like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for your reply.

There are two layouts for the 772. See Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on).

There’s an illustrated international meals thread here: Combined 2019 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)
eugegall likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Well don't leave us hanging, what were your options?!?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Just checked and the J seats go back to row 10. Front cabin up to row 6 and then mini cabin of 7 to 10.

Thanks again all.
The seat map will show you the Super Diamond, all forward-facing seats, and in general all LHR 772's are this model, but it does happen that they get swapped out. LHR-PHX is often operated by the day before's 142 from JFK-LHR and last Saturday that switched to Zodiac (reverse and forward facing seats) at a few hours before departure.

The food is a standard LHR lunch menu, with two mini-pies as the snack before landing (which look very lonely on the plate, but are much tastier than the awful mini-pizza or dreadful Croque Monsieur).
eugegall likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I agree;
eat at the lounges ; you can try BA and CX and when you board,
Ask them to hold the meal until later.
eugegall and Exec_Plat like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:49 am

The rule of thumb I go by - the lounge meals almost always trumps airline meals (don't matter if it's Y, J or F), and the restaurant meals almost always trumps lounge meals (though with some exception CX lounge & First lounges). If vegetarian/vegan a restaurant meal will almost always trump lounge & airline meal.
Dallas49er and eugegall like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.