Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Day pass to the Admirals Club with minors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

According to the the AA site, you can bring 3 minors into the Admirals Club if you purchase a day pass. The situation is my sons High School is on a trip to Ecuador and the 4 adults and 12 STEM High Schoolers had a 6 hour layover in MIA. Since the AA club allows 3 minors per adult I said I would pay for the 4 adults to have access and they could bring 3 minors in each, I even called AA before hand and they stated that would not be a problem. When they arrived the club informed them that the minors had to be in the same family, but it seems that they were going to give them a "special" deal and if they purchased 5 day pass instead of 4 it would be okay. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by 787
According to the the AA site, you can bring 3 minors into the Admirals Club if you purchase a day pass. The situation is my sons High School is on a trip to Ecuador and the 4 adults and 12 STEM High Schoolers had a 6 hour layover in MIA. Since the AA club allows 3 minors per adult I said I would pay for the 4 adults to have access and they could bring 3 minors in each, I even called AA before hand and they stated that would not be a problem. When they arrived the club informed them that the minors had to be in the same family, but it seems that they were going to give them a "special" deal and if they purchased 5 day pass instead of 4 it would be okay. Anyone have any experience with this?
The website says:

Guest access

Up to 3 children under 18 (if accompanied by adult day-pass holder)

It does not have a same family requirement.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donotblink
The website says:

Guest access

Up to 3 children under 18 (if accompanied by adult day-pass holder)

It does not have a same family requirement.
I called the Admirals Club number today and the Rep informed me the minors have to be your children which is not what the web site says, or what the rep said last. In the end the AA Club was happy to let them in, just as long as they forked over more $$$.

Last edited by 787; Jun 24, 2019 at 8:27 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AA-EXP
I wish i could make up my own rules for my job. Must be nice.
chitink, laagima and waterskifly like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
My guess is that the intent of the policy is to allow for parents to bring in their own children when paying for a day pass. The policy is probably not really intended for school trips, etc, with chaperones bringing children who are not their own. That might be why the agent said that. But the written rules are quite clear that minors do not have to be relatives of the day pass purchaser. (It is probably not common for a day pass holder to bring in minors who are not related to them...)
trooper and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Just tell the staff that they are adopted. Let them challenge that.
IAHtraveler and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whatever the intent of the policy, it is not the policy. The policy is as published by AA.

It is unclear whether the group actually paid out the additional funds. If they did, AA ought to refund each adult's payments above the single. If not, then it is worth a complaint to AA and one would certainly want the original 4 passes refunded.
nancypants and waterskifly like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Whatever the intent of the policy, it is not the policy. The policy is as published by AA.

It is unclear whether the group actually paid out the additional funds. If they did, AA ought to refund each adult's payments above the single. If not, then it is worth a complaint to AA and one would certainly want the original 4 passes refunded.
The AA Club agent said she would make a "special exception" and let them in if they paid for 5 passes instead for the 4. I had told the group I would cover the cost, so they were on the spot to pay the extra $59 instead of the $236 it should have been. My son was not sure what to do, so he just used the CC we had given him for the trip to cover the full cost $295. I understand that the lounges may not be specifically intended for school trips, but this was early on a Sunday Morning, so i'm pretty sure the club would not have had a capacity issue. At the end of the day AA has a posted policy, but they seem pick and choose how it is enforced. And hitting up a group of High Schoolers and their teachers for more $ is obviously not an issue for them.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by 787
The AA Club agent said she would make a "special exception" and let them in if they paid for 5 passes instead for the 4. I had told the group I would cover the cost, so they were on the spot to pay the extra $59 instead of the $236 it should have been. My son was not sure what to do, so he just used the CC we had given him for the trip to cover the full cost $295. I understand that the lounges may not be specifically intended for school trips, but this was early on a Sunday Morning, so i'm pretty sure the club would not have had a capacity issue. At the end of the day AA has a posted policy, but they seem pick and choose how it is enforced. And hitting up a group of High Schoolers and their teachers for more $ is obviously not an issue for them.
I am a bit confused about which rule would let buying a 5th pass would make everything OK. As noted, unless the rule says the minors have to be related, it seems that 3 minors should have been permitted for every adult with a pass.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
My understanding is that OP purchased the day pass, but OP was not one of adults traveling with high school students. Is it possible that was the problem?

Day pass is non-refundable, non-changeable, non-transferable, and valid only on date of visit. Day pass is only valid for use by the named pass-holder as printed on the pass.
What was the name on the day pass OP purchased?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
My understanding is that OP purchased the day pass, but OP was not one of adults traveling with high school students. Is it possible that was the problem?

No, I was not with the group, and the plan was for them to just use my son's CC to purchase the day passes at the club. They were not pre-purchased. There was no rational given from the agent at the club desk why purchasing an extra pass (5 instead of 4) made everything okay. Maybe she works on commission for all I know.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I think it's pretty clear the intent of the policy is to come in with one's own children. I don't think it's reasonable to think the marketing analyst who wrote the text for the web site should have envisioned this scenario (and likely several others) where one may come in with minors not one's own.

Also, "children" is often used to mean descendants.
ESpen36 and AA100k like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
It sounded like 4 passes were expected to be purchased, one for each adult.
There were 12 minors on the trip, or 3 per adult.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I think it's pretty clear the intent of the policy is to come in with one's own children. I don't think it's reasonable to think the marketing analyst who wrote the text for the web site should have envisioned this scenario (and likely several others) where one may come in with minors not one's own.
lso, "children" is often used to mean descendants.
Yes, but the creator of the contract is responsibile for what is missing in the contract.
That is, in court, I would expect a ruling in favor of the person who bought the passes, as the contract clarity is up to the contract provider.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS

Also, "children" is often used to mean descendants.
Really? On what do you base that conclusion? As complex as the English language may be it would be incredibly easy to write the policy to ACTUALLY state that. I think it ENTIRELY reasonable to expect whoever wrote the policy to make it mean what it was meant to mean. (If that restriction was indeed intended) What I think is unreasonable is to expect paying clients to read in to written policies what is NOT stated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.